Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Meath?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

*does hand gesture* Gather round, gather round folk young and old. Share some info about your hometown. I hail from just outside lovely Oldcastle (An Seanchaislean or Auldceastle to the locals). We don't think we have much claim to fame, oh part of that RTE disaster of a show was filmed there recently (the name escapes me).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ruu wrote:
    *does hand gesture* Gather round, gather round folk young and old. Share some info about your hometown. I hail from just outside lovely Oldcastle (An Seanchaislean or Auldceastle to the locals). We don't think we have much claim to fame, oh part of that RTE disaster of a show was filmed there recently (the name escapes me).
    It was called Trouble in Paradise. I can think of four Oldcastle claims to fame: the cairns at Loughcrew, Mullen's auction rooms, St. Oliver Plunkett and beds. Any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Respa Beds (my old workplace) best beds in the western world perhaps! I went to St. Ollies Post Primary as well. Alot of the land of Loughcrew belonged to Cromwell. There used to be a train station in town that served many other areas, talk about resurrecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Is there a military station thingy there?

I might go there for a spin some day Lol. I've never been. Think it would take me an hour. O_o

Don't think so, might be Kells you are thinking of (with the an RDF base there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not from meath but used to spend every easter and june bank holiday in fordstown just outside athboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mr. Brightside

Wouldn't be a big fan of Athboy, Bucks is sooo bad! Its a one night a year thing (Blue Jeans) at max. Used to be better a few years ago but Trim and Navan have since vastly improved so now I try to avoid that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

I hail from just outside Trim. Well, actually, I hail from Dublin, but the wind blew me to Trim one day, so I decided to settle there.

Mmmm, castles.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I'm from Ashbourne - site of the only major fighting outside Dublin during the 1916 Rising - when Thomas Ashe led his men in an attack on the RIC station and ambush on the RIC re-inforcements.

Also home to Johnny Logan, Brendan O'Carroll and Charlie Redmond!*

This was correct when I last lived in Ash 10 years ago - may not be uptodate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'm from lobinstown, it does nothing

draffodx wrote:
    i'm from lobinstown,
    So am I.
    it does nothing
    The best thing about Lobinstown is its central, yet rural, location: Dundalk, Drogheda, Carrickmacross, Ardee and Navan are all within easy driving (or, in Ardee's case, cycling) distance. Add to that three pubs, several community organisations (political parties, Foróige, Lobinstown Development Association, Munitir na Tíre, etc.), two schools, a post office (a rarity in rural Ireland these days), a shop (admittedly not great), two churches (including one of the most architecturally important rural churches in Britain or Ireland), an unbelievable wealth of history from the Iron Age to the present day, major employers like Meade Potato Company, sport (Gaelic football, soccer, fishing, pitch and putt, etc.), and all the rest. Not too shabby for a place with such little population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

On the Proudstown/Kingscourt Road outside Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ashbourne here...but am only a 'blow-in' from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ashbourne here...but am only a 'blow-in' from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Dunsany/Kiltale bit between Trim and Navan, formerly of Rathmolyon, Meath SHC winners 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Kells - I coloured in the pages.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Kells!?

Did'nt know they had IT in Kells :p haha

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Kells also.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

And I'm from a wonderful wee village called Carnaross.
    About 4 miles north of Kells on the N3
    It's got a pub, school, church and a shop.
    Oh and A Holy Well and some High Crosses
    Not a whole goes on there - but it's home (well not at the mo ;) )

And it's near the Wonderful Kells, with such places as the Arches, Keltic and of course the VIBE :D (all watering holes)

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

I'm from Ashbourne - site of the only major fighting outside Dublin during the 1916 Rising - when Thomas Ashe led his men in an attack on the RIC station and ambush on the RIC re-inforcements.

Also home to Johnny Logan, Brendan O'Carroll and Charlie Redmond!*

This was correct when I last lived in Ash 10 years ago - may not be uptodate

Is that how ashebourne got its name from Thomas Ashe? :confused:
    I hear the river Bourne flows through Ashbourne - so put the 2 together and walla?
    Correct me if im wrong?

I also think you can now class Ashbourne as Dublin.
    Their is an awful lot of Dubchies living there.
    (Cross between Dubs and Culchies)
    You can bring the the Dubs outa Dublin but.............

PS - does Brendan O Carroll's daughter go out in Ashbourne? She's a fine bit of stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephanie3

im live near oldcastle, good spot, lots of summer festivals and stuff, famous for a good few things, especially furniture and St. Oliver, the Cairns,

• Advertisement

stephanie3 wrote:
    im live near oldcastle, good spot, lots of summer festivals and stuff, famous for a good few things, especially furniture and St. Oliver, the Cairns,

Are you going to Le Cheile this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Kells!?

Did'nt know they had IT in Kells :p haha

Oh yes, Kells was the centre of learning for Ireland ages ago,
    but you wouldn't know that being from Navan now would you?, bet you can't even spell Navan backwards ;)

Dear Oh dear, now where's my Latin text book.....

folkface wrote:
    I hear the river Bourne flows through Ashbourne - so put the 2 together and walla?
    Correct me if im wrong?
    Nope. Bourne, the man who founded the village (as it was then), named it after his favourite tree and himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Navan unfortunately, though I dont sped much time out Navan so its not all bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephanie3

yeah I'll be around for le cheile anyway, whether or not I buy a ticket for the gigs is another thing, might just stay in pub.
    There's a good comedy line up this year though, neil delamare, carl spain etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PinkSniff

Hi,

I live in East Meath about 6 miles outside Ashbourne in a rural place........and Folkface.....just to let you know....you can't say Ashbourne is in Dublin. It clearly is in Contae na Mi and thats the way it is always goin' to be...so there :p

Meathwoman and proud of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

From Kilberry, a few miles north of Navan. Unfortunately don't live there any more but try and get back at least once a month to see friends and family and go to matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I live in Ratoath, moved there just 3 years ago. Im from a wee village near Slane called Lobinstown originally, certainly no claims to fame from that place other than the party when i left... ... ... :D

I envisage that i will stay in Ratoath for the foreseeable future, tis a fantastic place to live, despite the huge population it still has a village feel to it which i like a lot, and the postman is friendly, although id say hes demented delivering packages to my house, especially when im not there! Hehee...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Live in ratoath but im a blow in from dublin so that makes me a dubchie i love it here as they say in dublin its bleedin deadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

ashbourne born and bred...
    folkface wrote:
    Correct me if im wrong?

the river is actually called the Broadmeadow
    I also think you can now class Ashbourne as Dublin.
    Their is an awful lot of Dubchies living there.

you can in your arse class it as dublin... if they want to live in dublin, let em move back to dublin... or ratoath, which ever is easier. Also it's Dulchie not dubchie. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dulchie

Advertisement