Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Meath?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

decob wrote:
    you can in your arse class it as dublin... if they want to live in dublin, let em move back to dublin... or ratoath, which ever is easier.

Ratoath isnt Dublin either surely?

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Head wrote:
    Ratoath isnt Dublin either surely?

Ronan

i know it's not, more a joking observation that it's like 90% made up of dubs who have moved out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

I sleep in Kells (Between Carlanstown & Oristown), but I live in a cubicle near the Millennium Bridge.

That's how it feels anyway....

decob wrote:
    i know it's not, more a joking observation that it's like 90% made up of dubs who have moved out there.

Thats true, it seems to be the place to be these days...

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

I feel sorry for people who live in Ashbourne. Especially the True Meath folk.

They've lost so much of their village down through the years. :mad:
    The last time i visited it was full of foreign nationals and dulchies queuing up out side Lidl and Aldi, to get cheap groceries, so they can still afford to pay for their over priced mortgaged apartments and townhouses.

What has Ashbourne got to offer anymore? A by-pass :confused:
    Its lost so much of its character. But thats urban sprawl for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

folkface wrote:
    I feel sorry for people who live in Ashbourne. Especially the True Meath folk.

They've lost so much of their village down through the years.
    Its lost so much of its character. But thats urban sprawl for ya.
    It's a major problem, all right. The infrastructure in Ashbourne has struggled to cope. There was an interesting discussion of this on David McWilliams' televeision series The Pope's Children. Ashbourne actually has no character any more, besides that of a generic Dublin suburb. It fails even to have the feel of a Dublin village or town (like Swords or Dún Laoghaire). The town has no identity any more. Whilst other towns in the north-east have developed at a more steady pace, Ashbourne has grown from a very small town to a huge urban area in a short space of time, and this is how the feel of the town being a distinct place has been lost. I've experienced myself the problems with the burgeoning population, having been the victim of anti-social behaviour in the town. Another problem too, no doubt, is the hegemony of native Meath people over new people living there, leaving many new inhabitants feeling detached from the historic roots of the town and removed from any sense of identification with the locality. To many, Ashbourne is just a place to sleep. To a lesser extent, the same development is affecting Navan, where the native-newcomer divide is even more pronounced.

folkface wrote:
    The last time i visited it was full of foreign nationals and dulchies queuing up out side Lidl and Aldi, to get cheap groceries, so they can still afford to pay for their over priced mortgaged apartments and townhouses.

I think people will understand the point you are trying to get across, however the manner in which you worded it could be misconstrued as being insulting by some...

Also, in terms of people queueing outside Aldi and Lidl to get cheap stuff so they can afford to pay for huge mortgages, its hardly much different than anywhere else in the country is it?

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

europerson wrote:
    It's a major problem, all right. The infrastructure in Ashbourne has struggled to cope. There was an interesting discussion of this on David McWilliams' televeision series The Pope's Children. Ashbourne actually has no character any more, besides that of a generic Dublin suburb. It fails even to have the feel of a Dublin village or town (like Swords or Dún Laoghaire). The town has no identity any more. Whilst other towns in the north-east have developed at a more steady pace, Ashbourne has grown from a very small town to a huge urban area in a short space of time, and this is how the feel of the town being a distinct place has been lost. I've experienced myself the problems with the burgeoning population, having been the victim of anti-social behaviour in the town. Another problem too, no doubt, is the hegemony of native Meath people over new people living there, leaving many new inhabitants feeling detached from the historic roots of the town and removed from any sense of identification with the locality. To many, Ashbourne is just a place to sleep. To a lesser extent, the same development is affecting Navan, where the native-newcomer divide is even more pronounced.

Excellent post Europerson. My taughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PinkSniff

From all of the above, I don't care how many Dubs are living in Meath...I couldn't blame them - it is after all a great county to live in!! They have to realise that just because a large number of Dubs live in certain parts of Meath - these areas eg Ashbourne dont become Dublin ie NOT OK to call it Dublin....... Up Meath for the game tomorrow!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

PinkSniff wrote:
    From all of the above, I don't care how many Dubs are living in Meath...I couldn't blame them - it is after all a great county to live in!! They have to realise that just because a large number of Dubs live in certain parts of Meath - these areas eg Ashbourne dont become Dublin ie NOT OK to call it Dublin.......

spot on.. the local credit union sent a letter to my sister recently addressed.. "ashbourne, co dublin". needless to say she wasn't impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PinkSniff

spot on.. the local credit union sent a letter to my sister recently addressed.. "ashbourne, co dublin". needless to say she wasn't impressed

Silly people.......did they miss the Geography lessons at school???:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ashbourne and Ratoath have more in common with Swords and Lucan than with Slane and Oldcastle.

I suppose when it stabilizes in about 10 years it might have more of a Dunboyne feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Ruu wrote:
    *does hand gesture* Gather round, gather round folk young and old. Share some info about your hometown. I hail from just outside lovely Oldcastle (An Seanchaislean or Auldceastle to the locals). We don't think we have much claim to fame, oh part of that RTE disaster of a show was filmed there recently (the name escapes me).
    My condolences :)

Kells - full of country tools trying to be Dublin scangers with their tracksuits, jewelry and boy racer cars. Full of Dublin scangers who followed us down in a mass exodus. Pubs, pubs and more pubs. Sooner it's by-passed the better.
    Meow

Kells - full of country tools trying to be Dublin scangers with their tracksuits, jewelry and boy racer cars. Full of Dublin scangers who followed us down in a mass exodus. Pubs, pubs and more pubs. Sooner it's by-passed the better.

I alluded to this already in a previous post, and i gotta say it again. Theres a lot of generalisations being made that are insulting and unfair to poeple from different places in the country... Particularly the above post.

I think they are very insulting comments, im not offended myself, but i dont see the need to be labelling people like that, it started out as an innocuous information gathering thread but is developing into an insulting geography lesson.

Why cant people from Kells just be people from Kells? Why do you feel the need to call them names just because they are from the country? Similarly with the "skangers" from Dublin that you referred to, are there no people from Kells that wear tracksuits, jewellery and drive boy racer cars?

I dont think i would like to live in Kells if it means im going to be classified like that, because i do wear tracksuits from time to time, and the odd piece of jewellery...my car is simple though, so maybe i will be exempt :rolleyes:.

Perhaps you meant it in a joking manner but it doesnt come across that way...

Tool Head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Head wrote:
    I alluded to this already in a previous post, and i gotta say it again. Theres a lot of generalisations being made that are insulting and unfair to poeple from different places in the country... Particularly the above post.

I think they are very insulting comments, im not offended myself, but i dont see the need to be labelling people like that, it started out as an innocuous information gathering thread but is developing into an insulting geography lesson.

Why cant people from Kells just be people from Kells? Why do you feel the need to call them names just because they are from the country? Similarly with the "skangers" from Dublin that you referred to, are there no people from Kells that wear tracksuits, jewellery and drive boy racer cars?

I dont think i would like to live in Kells if it means im going to be classified like that, because i do wear tracksuits from time to time, and the odd piece of jewellery...my car is simple though, so maybe i will be exempt :rolleyes:.

Perhaps you meant it in a joking manner but it doesnt come across that way...

Tool Head
    Eh yeah, I said so in my post...the wannabe Dublin tools.
    And ye you need to remove the stick. It wasn't an attack. Every single town in the country has them; groups of tossers who congregate at corners and outside shops.
    Relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Especially Kells. Polluted with Boy Racers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Ratoath, although a lovely place to live, is also plagued by these boy racers. In spite of that I do like Ratoath, especially the village feel to the place.

When I do go into Ashbourne, I always get the impression that there is a cloud of dust hanging over the place, that just makes it look grey. Maybe its from the developments going on. Ashbourne is also plagued with the boy raceers and the skangers hanging around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Every Town/Village has some of the so called "Boy Racers".
    Get over it - it's a fact of life and if young lads/girls are not allowed have a nice car and go meet with a few mates than this country is going seriously down hill.

I am from near Kells and have lived in many different Towns/Counties and Countries and I will be surprised if anyone can find a place with a population over 250 where the young people don't hang around together with cars.

I think it's unfair to say anywhere is Polluted with "boy racers" Kells certainly is not.

And before you ask - Yes I do Wear a tracksuit from time to time and Yes I do take care of my car

<rant over> :D

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

mik_da_man wrote:
    Every Town/Village has some of the so called "Boy Racers".
    Get over it - it's a fact of life and if young lads/girls are not allowed have a nice car and go meet with a few mates than this country is going seriously down hill.
    No-one's saying that it's wrong to have a nice car or to meet one's friends. What is wrong, however, is that people have to put up with the noise and visual disutility of dodgy cars with dodgy cold air intakes, dodgy silencers, dodgy licence plates, dodgy tinted glass, etc. with their drivers unnecessarily driving in circles around towns either during the day or late at night, whilst unnecessarily hooting their horns at others at the same racket. There is nothing more annoying and unwarranted than it. Now that's how a country goes downhill.

europerson wrote:
    No-one's saying that it's wrong to have a nice car or to meet one's friends. What is wrong, however, is that people have to put up with the noise and visual disutility of dodgy cars with dodgy cold air intakes, dodgy silencers, dodgy licence plates, dodgy tinted glass, etc. with their drivers unnecessarily driving in circles around towns either during the day or late at night, whilst unnecessarily hooting their horns at others at the same racket. There is nothing more annoying and unwarranted than it. Now that's how a country goes downhill.

As well as water gun drive bys :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I'm from Ashbourne - site of the only major fighting outside Dublin during the 1916 Rising - when Thomas Ashe led his men in an attack on the RIC station and ambush on the RIC re-inforcements.

Also home to Johnny Logan, Brendan O'Carroll and Charlie Redmond!*

This was correct when I last lived in Ash 10 years ago - may not be uptodate
    I also hail from assburn, but who is this Charlie Redmond? Logan still lives here, but O'Carroll moved out a while back I think.

And as for the town losing it's identity and character, I much prefer having a choice of supermarkets, proper sewage facilities, a new Community achool, new shops and a library to when all Ashbourne had was bad water, betting shops and pubs. It never really had that much character.

Charlie Redmond was a Dublin footballer back in the day...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

baile lobin here , we have nothing :D (did i post this before? i forget)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Geranium wrote:
    And as for the town losing it's identity and character, I much prefer having a choice of supermarkets, proper sewage facilities, a new Community achool, new shops and a library to when all Ashbourne had was bad water, betting shops and pubs. It never really had that much character.

I fully agree. I think the developments are very welcome, I would much rather live there now than as it was when I was growing up. If the population needs to treble to get decent restaurants, a gym (with swimming pool!), cinema etc, I say 'so be it'

I agree that the place never had that much character and that any that it did have is largely preserved - the block that Kelly's, Foxes Den etc are on is kind of quaint.

Also the swamping of the population by newcomers is nothing new either - up to 1970 the population of the village was around 300 by 1975 it was up to 3000ish - the first wave of blow-ins from Dublin (including my parents!) swamped the natives - however me and all my friends consider ourselves out-and-out Royals - it will be the same for the kids of the newcomers in 20years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

I'm from a little townland near Kells called Allenstown.
    I live in Dublin now though but get back as often as I can.
    I miss the country.. :(

Its a total pain in the arse driving on the N3 nowadays though. It sorta puts me off going home as I have the M50 roadworks and the M3 works to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I'm in Mornington, I love where I am, it's peaceful, great beach & plenty of greenery!!
    I spend a lot of time in Trim with the OH at the weekends, it's a great town too..!! (apart from the roads Balrath to Bective & Trim..... too many potholes!! :(

Originally from Dublin too, but TBH I don't miss living there at all

I'm from a little townland near Kells called Allenstown.
    I live in Dublin now though but get back as often as I can.
    I miss the country.. :(

Its a total pain in the arse driving on the N3 nowadays though. It sorta puts me off going home as I have the M50 roadworks and the M3 works to contend with.

Allenstown lol :(

(Sorry, just...)

Advertisement