Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know where your children are?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a nipper it was simple, our parents knew our friends, we knew where we were allowed to go and we knew when to be back by and that was it. I dunno if either of my parents ever worried greatly and I can only recall one incident when I was 8 that got me and my friends a mild telling off (we were only a mile away on a late summers evening).

Now though parents can rest easy with the kind of gadget that back in the 70s would have been considered Sci-fi - a prop from The Prisoner. All hail the Child Locator. They can run but they can't hide (unless they simply take it off). Which undermines the whole point. If this is childhood in the 21st century I'm glad I had mine when parents we're paranoid.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nice but they are a bit bulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I was only talking to my folks today about how i was allowed out to play at the age of 4. This was in Ballymun 28 years ago. They said it was different back then, everyone knew everyones kids and looked out for them, plus mam and dad could see me at all times.

My son is 7, my niece is 8, and neither have ever really been allowed out to play.

I would have no hesitation putting those things on my son and niece tbh.

I am lucky enough that I live oppsite the cul de sac and can see down into it and the children play there and the older ones and the parents all keep an eye.
    But it is still a lot different from when I was allowed to walk to the library 20 mins away at the age of 10, I can't see myself letting mine do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Its a terrible shame. My son is not in the least bit independant and obviously it affects his social skills.

The longer i leave it the harder it is for both of us but we with the housing situation as it is, i am still looking for that little cul de sac with the green where he can make friends and be allowed out to play that i wanted for him badly since he was 4. Looks like we will be left waiting!!

What about your local library ?
    They often have chess/draughts/storytelling clubs which allow kids to mingle and is there a playground near you or what sport or kids clubs or dance troops are there near by or cub scouts.
    There are many ways to socilise a child rather then just out on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin1983

quote homer simpson.

" I Told You Last Night....NO"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Unfortuneatly, my parents were the kind of people that told you to 'go out and play' just to get rid of you. I remember being able to roam the streets from a very young age. I don't know what that age was but I was know I was under seven at least. When my own kids came along I watched them like a hawk. I knew where they were at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Statistically they are more likely to get molested or injured at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

In the suburb of Dublin where I live, children play happily for hours on the streets, hopping in to one house or another for a sup of water or soothing for a sore knee. Same with the inner-city suburb where I lived when my son was little - he'd disappear off for hours with all the other kids, and everyone kept an eye on everyone else's kids.

I honestly think people have got too paranoid.

Though it's amazing how things have changed since I was a nipper. In those days, everyone came home from the office or from school for lunch - a proper cooked meal.

If you lived too far out to come home, schools served hot meals, which I think were free, or if not, very cheap. These were also cooked from fresh ingredients on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

boreds wrote:
    Statistically they are more likely to get molested or injured at home.

This is very true.

I have just moved into a council estate in bray and I let my 3 and 5 year old out to play on the green in front of the house. What I do is finish the housework as early as possible and then sit outside for a half hour maybe twice a day and let them play on their bikes. I have gotten to know a lot of the neighbours this way too and I know the local kids now but they will not be allowed out on their own for a very long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement