Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband being odd for anyone else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Yes and do changes have to be made to the router?

No. Just change the DNS settings in Windows and it will bypass the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

On a Mac. Same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Is there any reason why I should store my existing dns somewhere? How do I find out my current dns? Should I look in my router's settings page?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Yes and do changes have to be made to the router?

No changes have to be made to the router.

If you are afraid to go near these settings then either leave then alone or write them down and change them back later.

Put the numbers in like so.......

ipproperties.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That OpenDNS works a treat. That coupled with me switching browsers to Safari, im much impressed!

• Advertisement

Ok I've switched to open dns and havn't noticed any changes in page loading times at all. I'm using firefox with the "fasterfox" add on, would this affect it?

rc28 wrote:
    Ok I've switched to open dns and havn't noticed any changes in page loading times at all. I'm using firefox with the "fasterfox" add on, would this affect it?

Can you see the "Welcome to OpenDNS" page from this link?

http://www.opendns.com/welcome/

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

yeah im getting the same. this site for example has taken 10 mins to login post this. google takes ages to load somesites need to bre reloaded till they appear.

Had problems with World of Warcraft logging in and teamspeak. Glad to see its not just me.

EDIT nice post about open DNS. i made a change to my router settings from

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
    Get Automatically From ISP
    Use These DNS Servers
    Primary DNS ...
    Secondary DNS ...

Eircom Primary and secondary DNS Server IP's

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

Seems to have fixed it.

thrill wrote:
    Can you see the "Welcome to OpenDNS" page from this link?

http://www.opendns.com/welcome/
    Yup.

It has cured todays eircom problem but it's certainly not faster than when eircom is working normally anyway.

rc28 wrote:
    Yup.

It has cured todays eircom problem but it's certainly not faster than when eircom is working normally anyway.

It appears to be faster for me. I dont know why that is. Eircom was fast for me also.

Lets hope they can fix whatever is wrong asap.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I think Eircom is ok now .....

everything seems to be working normal now for me ... :rolleyes:

Its certainly better than it was but downloads still seem slow.

I'm getting my max download speeds. Seems to be different for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've only just re-connected to eircom BB a week ago (unpaid bills = cut off .. bastards) ... anyway, I found my 2mb connection was suffering major slow down too, I thought they'd punished me for not paying my bill on time :D or downgraded me! At least I know it was a general problem.

That DNS thing, would it be ok to use in the long run? Is it a static IP? or does it work like one? Would it help boost torrent speeds? Explain to me as if I were a 4 year old ... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I also need four yr old explainations. My connection keeps diappearing and reappearing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Out in Shankill here - connection is very bad. Probably been asked before, but does this have anything to do with the Eircom strike?

Not as bad as Tuesday but its being a bit pokey here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Reloading a lot of things twice

boo-urns

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Same here, does appear to be DNS.

Anyone else had problems this morning? Internet became unusable around 12AM. Then ranged from slow to usable for the next half hour. Back to normal at 12:30AM.

Got onto Eircom support but again about as helpful as being hit on the head repeatedly with a hammer (and just as much fun).

Anyone else had a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its really slow for me now, sites loading up at dial up speed

My PS3 would not connect at all during the half hour but it did handily inform me "this is a DNS error"

What is up with eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

My PS3 would not connect at all during the half hour but it did handily inform me "this is a DNS error"
    What is up with eircom?
    Try changing your DNS servers. See www.opendns.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What is up with eircom?

Maintenance work is often carried out at those times when most god fearing folk are safely in their beds!:)

ethernet wrote:
    Try changing your DNS servers. See www.opendns.com

Finally took the plunge and tried it. Thats faster. Thats quite a bit faster.

Advertisement