Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl limit - counter?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there is anywhere you cna go to see how much of the limit you have used in any one month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

bonkers wrote:
    just wondering if there is anywhere you cna go to see how much of the limit you have used in any one month

i don't think so, i don't really worry about it, sometimes i go over, sometimes i hit it spot on without having to limit myself... i have gone over it by 100 gb or so before and nobody said anything to me

so long as its not a constant thing i dont think they mind if you go over, and since they don't charge extra per mb over, i don't think it's necessary for them to provide it

google for a program called DUMeter though, it's quite useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If anyone knows how to use DUmeter to measure what you download onto
    your 36o and PS3 I'd be interested ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

bonkers wrote:

Nope - I was onto NTL before about this, and they admitted they have no system for their customers to see if they are close to their limit, or if they have gone over it.

The only way you can find out, is from that ever so friendly letter NTL send out, only after you have exceeded the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah NTL do sometimes send a letter out when you go over the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

If anyone knows how to use DUmeter to measure what you download onto
    your 36o and PS3 I'd be interested ;)

unless you're using internet connection sharing through your pc to your console (modem<-pc<-console) then it won't be possible

if you have a router, some routers can do this for you... although sometimes not out of the box, for example I have a Linksys WRT54G, and I've replaced the original firmware with Tomato firmware (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) it comes with nice graphs and statistics, which let you monitor traffic usage from all PC's/laptops/consoles or whatever you have connected through your router.

You may have a different router though, and even still replacing firmware, while easy and usually safe, may void the warranty and possibly break it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you got a letter of warning, what did it say? Was it a friendly warning and nothing more? Or the threat of fees + withdrawal of service? I've been playing it safe but if there's little to worry about, might up the ante.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Last time NTL/UPC/Chorus reviewed people's usage they just sent
    disconnection letters to people they felt were way over their monthly
    cap. People were posting on boards that they had received letters stating
    they would be disconnected in X number of days. Some of these people
    had not even received a prior warning. There was no option to pay for the
    'excessive' usage. This was made worse that NTL had changed their usage
    policy to count both upload and download whilst previously they had only
    counted download - again this was without informing their customers of
    the policy change. (Here's the last thread on the subject).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ixoy wrote:
    If you got a letter of warning, what did it say? Was it a friendly warning and nothing more? Or the threat of fees + withdrawal of service? I've been playing it safe but if there's little to worry about, might up the ante.

It pretty much said "stop being so selfish and sucking up the bandwidth, or else we will withdraw your service" - I will dig it out later and post it up for all to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ph3n0m wrote:
    It pretty much said "stop being so selfish and sucking up the bandwidth, or else we will withdraw your service" - I will dig it out later and post it up for all to see :)

Please do.

Advertisement