Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certs Issue

Options
  • 10-07-2007 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm working for a small business with a central office. We use Exchange to store our mail and Outlook to access it when in the building. Some employees need to access their mail off site, so there's a public website set up for this.
    Unfortunately, it' SSL cert is causing problems, (well at least only when you use IE on Vista). It was set up with the local domain name of the server, but the website's public address is different, (obviously). Additionally, the cert was issued by the server to itself and this seems to cause problems as it's obviously not going to be a recognised CA.

Is there any way to get around this problem? Can you create a cert that will operate solely off of the public address without affecting services from the ISP? If so, I'd love some help on this as it's not my field of expertise and I'm completely lost.

Oh and to top it off, the simple option of downloading Opera or Modzilla Firebox and using them instead is not acceptable, (nor is dumping Vista for XP.) Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

To get around this problem you need to buy a cert from a recognized Certificate Authority. New versions of Internet Explorer don't like self signed certs and throw up that ugly warning advising you not to continue to the web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What version of Exchange are you running? AFAIK you can assign a specific cert to OWA, and as dkane pointed out you need to buy one for the public name of the OWA server

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

As was mentioned what version of exchange are you using?

We created our own Cert here for the exchange server that we can use to access our mail from home. We plan on getting a external cert in the future but for the time being the our own in house cert works fine.

We get the following error but you just click continue are you can access your mail, I run this from my Vista machine at home with no issues
    There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Can you access the mail from an external pc with IE 6 for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=238140
    1> Run IE as an administrator (Right-click the desktop icon)
    2> Visit the site.
    3> Click through the certificate error
    4> Click the "Certificate Error" button in the address bar.
    5> Click View Certificate
    6> Click Install Certificate
    7> Unlike on XP, you must click the “Place all certificates in the following store” radio button, and choose the “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” store. If you don’t do this, the certificate goes in your personal store, and it isn’t trusted by IE.

Advertisement