Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Farms

Options
  • 10-07-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

How do you report a suspected puppy farm? I may know of one and I found out last week that a friend of my mother's sold his husky to a person we think is responsible for running this puppy farm(the friend didn't know at the time and was horrified at the notion).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Go to the gardai and also contact your local SPCA see hyperlink below

http://www.ispca.ie/content/map_soc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

How would you be able to tell a puppy farm from a breeder??

There is a breeder up the road from me. She has over 14 pugs and around 30 english bull dogs all of various ages... From what I can see, the area they are kept in is not the greatest and I know that pugs need constant human contact so that isn't very health from them. I have not been let in to see their conditions but just thought the amount of dogs was a bit tooo much...

I am just worried about the dogs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Look for ads advertising more than one or two breeds, also look for people offering to deliver. If they are offering several breeds at once, you have to think how are they offering such quantity without compromising on quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

d-redser, that sounds dodgy to me. Nobody I've ever heard of has kept 44 dogs as pets. Would you consider reporting her? If all is okay wrt their living conditions, then she has nothing to worry about, alternatively, if it they're being kept in unsuitable consitions, then you're doing the dogs a big favour. You can do it anonomously as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Excuse my stupidity here please but what do you mean by the term puppy farm?? By the sound of it, its bad living conditions in general? But if one has the man power and proper conditions is it alright to keep a large number of dog for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Glowing wrote:
    d-redser, that sounds dodgy to me. Nobody I've ever heard of has kept 44 dogs as pets. Would you consider reporting her? If all is okay wrt their living conditions, then she has nothing to worry about, alternatively, if it they're being kept in unsuitable consitions, then you're doing the dogs a big favour. You can do it anonomously as far as I know.

If it is a puppy farm then Yes I would definitely report them, but I am unsure if it is.. The majority of them are pets but they breed pugs and bull dogs.. Both breeds are a lot of work to deal with but at that quantity it has my alarm bells ringing...

I have a pug, I know they can be really clingly and they crave human contact as they were bred as a lap dog.. Bull dogs have similar problems to pugs in relation to breathing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Excuse my stupidity here please but what do you mean by the term puppy farm?? By the sound of it, its bad living conditions in general? But if one has the man power and proper conditions is it alright to keep a large number of dog for sale?

It can be the condition the dogs and pups are kept in. It can also be a situation where someone has a few bitches and keeps breeding them over and over without any sort of idea on the genetics or the general health of the dogs. Some of these so called breeders start a bitch off young and basicly get as many litters from her as possible until she can take no more.
    In my opinion a reputable breeder should be registered with th IKC and all puppies should be realeased to new homes with papers. I feel that anyone that doesn't do so just wants to make a few quick quid without any concept of how you breed correctly.
    A puppy farm is a place where pups get churned out too regularly without thought for the health of the dogs in question.

Advertisement