Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the oldest peices of computer programing in use?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

In an age where it seems all everything is supersceded every 12 months I wonder if there are any old bits of prgraming that haven't changed and are still in use. I was thinking maybe the programaing in personal calculators is probably the same shared program in all units for the last 30 years. I could be wrong though. Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

COBOL is still about, I don't know much about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Ruu wrote:

Any applications that it is still used in from back in the day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In terms of systems, As400 and VAX would be one of the older types, but im sure there are older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Anything in Assembly language would be my bet.
    Most higher level languages were compiled into assembly (objects .obj files ) before running.
    I could be wrong though, it's happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

frobisher wrote:

A good few banks still use it on their back end. Pretty much because it would be a hugely expensive, complicated job to upgrade. Some however have anyway because it is quite hilariously old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

frobisher wrote:
    Much of the finance sector uses it extensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Archytas wrote:
    Some however have anyway because it is quite hilariously old.
    And efficient...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the .php in the boards address is a fake.... its really written in RPG....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Up until 6 months ago, the company I work for used several AS400 machines which were almost 15 years old. Some of the code base (Cobol) was written in the early 80's. The machines themselves along with all spares have been shipped to a company in Poland we have a relationship with, where they will be put back into production. :eek:

We also have a OS/390 host based internal messaging system (it's more than Instant Messaging, and less than eMail) which is based on software written by Volvo engineers over 30 years ago ... and it has barely changed since.

This messaging system supports over 12000 users and has not crashed or failed or had any kind of outage for over 10 years. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I knew there would be lots out there. I wonder what the most high end application of something over say 20 years would be. Would NASA or the Russkies still be using code they developed back then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The last time I was in an AIB bank they were still running Windows 3.11 (or maybe NT3.51) on their PCs. And I've seen borked Bank of Ireland ATMs displaying the "It's now safe to shut down your computer" screen from NT4. Banks must like keeping things old-school.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Aertel: http://rte.ie/arts/2007/0622/aertel.html :D

Oh and check out the cool video of the launch:
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/smil/brc/brc80s_aertel_tv.smil (needs realplayer)

I wonder how much of that system has changed in 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

frobisher wrote:
    I knew there would be lots out there. I wonder what the most high end application of something over say 20 years would be. Would NASA or the Russkies still be using code they developed back then?
    I imagine the Voyager series are still running on the software they were launched with in the 1970s. :D
    The last time I was in an AIB bank they were still running Windows 3.11 (or maybe NT3.51) on their PCs. And I've seen borked Bank of Ireland ATMs displaying the "It's now safe to shut down your computer" screen from NT4. Banks must like keeping things old-school.
    The banks are notoriously conservative when it comes to computer (and other) systems. If it works and is secure, keep it. If you need to change, do it over months and years, in incremental steps.

Just to demonstrate how bad things can be - when TSB ATMs were first hooked up to the AIB system, there was an incompatibility if the transaction was rejected. Everytime I tried to take money from my TSB account on an AIB and was refused, money was added to my account.

I can only imagine the conversation went like (balance was 130):

AIB ATM: What is your PIN number?
    Me: ****
    AIB: Is **** the correct PIN
    TSB: Yes
    AIB ATM: How much do you want
    Me: 140
    AIB: Can he withdraw 140?
    TSB: No
    AIB ATM: Sorry I can't process that transaction
    AIB ATM: Transaction refused. Please put 140 (back) into the account
    TSB: OK
    Me: 135
    AIB: Can he withdraw 135?
    AIB ATM: Transaction refused. Please put 135 (back) into the account
    Me: 130
    AIB: Can he withdraw 130?
    trout wrote:
    This messaging system supports over 12000 users and has not crashed or failed or had any kind of outage for over 10 years. :cool:
    The H4><ors can't write viruses for it, because they don't understand it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote:
    The H4><ors can't write viruses for it, because they don't understand it. :D
    But...but...in the movies they just write viruses, and they like infect everything, mobile phones, watches, alien spacecraft, small dogs. Computer viruses are, like, super, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Those kind of virii are written by Gibson hackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

IBM mainframe security 'RACF' is still in use

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Intel still uses Workstream which runs on a VAX and dates from the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

frobisher wrote:

You we still teach it in Comp Sys at Uni :-o hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Victor wrote:
    I imagine the Voyager series are still running on the software they were launched with in the 1970s. :D

Good call. I think their nuclear power supply will run out in a few years. :(

The space shuttles are still using 8086's. I remember hearing that NASA were trying to dig out replacement parts on ebay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know COBOL and JCL. Worked on the millennium bug for telecoms.
    It's old but works well.

$ SET SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"
    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. Iteration-If.
    AUTHOR.

DATA DIVISION.
    WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
    01 Num1 PIC 9 VALUE ZEROS.
    01 Num2 PIC 9 VALUE ZEROS.
    01 Result PIC 99 VALUE ZEROS.
    01 Operator PIC X VALUE SPACE.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    Calculator.
    PERFORM 3 TIMES
    DISPLAY "Enter First Number : " WITH NO ADVANCING
    ACCEPT Num1
    DISPLAY "Enter Second Number : " WITH NO ADVANCING
    ACCEPT Num2
    DISPLAY "Enter operator (+ or *) : " WITH NO ADVANCING
    ACCEPT Operator
    IF Operator = "+" THEN
    ADD Num1, Num2 GIVING Result
    END-IF
    IF Operator = "*" THEN
    MULTIPLY Num1 BY Num2 GIVING Result
    END-IF
    DISPLAY "Result is = ", Result
    END-PERFORM.
    STOP RUN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

They still taught COBOL for certain modules at the comp sys course in UL a few years ago. It dates from 1959 according to Wikipedia :eek:

Khannie wrote:
    Good call. I think their nuclear power supply will run out in a few years. :(

The space shuttles are still using 8086's. I remember hearing that NASA were trying to dig out replacement parts on ebay. :)

I heard the space shuttle ran os2 warp for a number of its systems. Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

cornbb wrote:
    It dates from 1959 according to Wikipedia :eek:

Yes it predates the notion of specifying the syntax of programming language via a CFG (or nearly a CFG).
    Consequently trying to create any form of analysis tools for Cobol are tricky to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Victor wrote:
    I can only imagine the conversation went like (balance was 130):

AIB ATM: What is your PIN number?
    Me: ****
    AIB: Is **** the correct PIN
    Me: 140
    AIB: Can he withdraw 140?
    AIB ATM: Transaction refused. Please put 140 (back) into the account
    Me: 135
    AIB: Can he withdraw 135?
    AIB ATM: Transaction refused. Please put 135 (back) into the account
    Me: 130
    AIB: Can he withdraw 130?
    :confused:
    I think you have this wrong above. First time you have 130 and request 140. It refuses and adds 140 to your acccount. So now the second time you request 135 you have 270 so it should have not decline your request. In fact it should have given u 135 and left 135 in your account. Is that right or am I wrong on how I'm reading it???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

timeout wrote:
    I think you have this wrong above. First time you have 130 and request 140. It refuses and adds 140 to your acccount. So now the second time you request 135 you have 270 so it should have not decline your request. In fact it should have given u 135 and left 135 in your account. Is that right or am I wrong on how I'm reading it???

Think he meant that someone ballsed up the integration so that all requests were refused and refundedto the account. Nothing to do with the balance AFAIK.

I heard a few years ago that the Department of Social Security in the US was still using some systems that were written in a mainframe assembler language. I guess this could be true if they were written in the late 60's/early 70's. **DISCLAIMER** I cannot remember where I heard/read this so it my source could well have been some guy down the pub :).

I imagine the cost of upgrading such a system would be phenomonal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cornbb wrote:
    They still taught COBOL for certain modules at the comp sys course in UL a few years ago. It dates from 1959 according to Wikipedia :eek:

I know a guy who still programs in it for an Insurance/ Financial firm :eek: . Makes a shed load of money, not sure what his long term career prospects are like though. Although I am sure it will be around for many years yet.

In fairness to COBOL despite its uncool reputation, it was pretty good at what it was designed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Farouk.Bulsara

Ruu wrote:

Fortran was first proposed in 1953, and is the world's first high-level language. It's still alive and well and used extensively to program math-intensive applications on supercomputers.

Fred.

I see BASIC was originally designed in 1963, thats 44 years in its various flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

timeout wrote:
    I must be remembering it wrong, but you get the idea. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

marco_polo wrote:
    I know a guy who still programs in it for an Insurance/ Financial firm :eek: . Makes a shed load of money, not sure what his long term career prospects are like though. Although I am sure it will be around for many years yet.

In fairness to COBOL despite its uncool reputation, it was pretty good at what it was designed to do.

I actually saw an ad looking for COBAL programmers on jobs.ie only last week

Advertisement