Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the oldest peices of computer programing in use?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I thought the question was programs that are still in use, not programming languages that are still in use...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

seamus wrote:
    No-one in their right mind writes modern applications in Assembly.

check out this crazy fool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RollerCoaster_Tycoon_%28game%29#History

suppose it paid off for him in the end big time but it must have been some amount of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea I had heard about that. The guy must be a serious masochist, but a complete genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Now thats programming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

OMG. Respect!

edit: $30 million for his efforts. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hell, for $30m I'd write it in binary! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

For $5million I'd manage the project for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Ok not bad in fairness, but he had modern conveniences.

Try writing the assembly on paper then typing it in with that rubbery spectrum keyboard, and deal with your emotions when your dad takes out the fuse since you weren't quick enough to come down for the dinner your mum slaved over, so you have to key it all in again later, and then your sister tapes over the program with some radio nova crap dj spouting her special request from a secret admirer who turns out to be a total gombeen who couldn't get into arts. Good old days me hoop.

It all got much easier in the 90's with hard keyboards and mouses and pasting and copying. Still, fair play to him with his 30 million, at least the programmer got a chunk of the profits instead of being suckered into slaving to make rich folks richer. He better be on a beach in Barbados sipping a Pina Collada.

Advertisement