Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guinness in Limerick

Options
  • 10-07-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Which pubs serve the best Guinness in the Limerick city area. Where is the best place to go any time for that great pint of plain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭sioda

Curraghgower have a good pint. Slatterys on edward street is one of the best in town.

North Star in thomondgate IMHO has the best in town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The price can sour the taste of a pint.

not a big fan of guinness.

cool user name by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

sioda wrote:
    North Star in thomondgate IMHO has the best in town

Really? I always figured there was something hidden behind that intimidating exterior..

I've been here 9 years and I'm still searching for a good pint - so far the Woodfield is winning - but I've not been there in an age, so not sure what it may be like now..

The North Star you say.. you reckon they'd let a blow-in sample their offering? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,218 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I find Jerry Flannery's on Catherine St serve a nice pint of the black stuff.

Fennessey's up on the corner of New Road/South Circular Road are supposed to be very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

The munster fair tavern or the boro club do a nice pint as well

• Advertisement

Damn forgot about Fennesseys.

Yeah the North Star are welcoming to all. Great spot after munster games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Tom Collins never let me down.

Good guinness in Toms but haven't been able to go back since the exhibition of paintings of toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

yes Tom Collins is a good bet, Ive also been impressed with Myles Breen. Both these pubs have a steady local crowd of Guinness drinkers so this would help. The Windmill and Sextons are usually good also.
    Brownes in Parteen has a reputation serving a superb pint but its a bit out of the way for townies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Concept

The office has a nice pint and reasonable price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 beanflick

J,J bowles the best pint of black in limerick fact!!!
    North star if you want to get your eye in a sling sham!!

I found in the star just be friendly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I know it is not in the city but an honourable mention has to go to The Lame Duck in Clonlara. Tis famous for the pint of plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Played a gig in the North Star many many years ago (with a showband I might add) and found the bar people to be sound. The clientele, na ah - v different story! But that was back then :)

Where abouts in Thomondgate is the North Star?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

the north star is about 50 yards from Thomond bridge going towards Thomond park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Myles Breens! Definitely the best pint in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Agree with u 100% sparky.
    Its like drinking cream !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Fennesseys is the best I have found. By Far

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

The Moose sells a great pint of everything especially in the lounge(old mans part around the side)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.
    Any new opinions on the best Guinness in Limerick?
    I'm notice a serious decline in the overall quality of Guinness lately. I dunno whether it's Diageo making a balls of it (all you can taste is coldness from the pint in some places now).
    Breens is one of the few places where the pint is still top quality. Any more? Or is it just me noticing this apparent decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Squires do a good pint, Tom & Jerrys, The Black Swan on Davis Street and The Spotted Dog does a great pint although i have not sampled one up there in a long time.

Most of the so called super pubs are rubbish, Smiths, Flannerys etc, avoid Guinness in the Old Quarter at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Squires do a good pint, Tom & Jerrys, The Black Swan on Davis Street and The Spotted Dog does a great pint although i have not sampled one up there in a long time.

Most of the so called super pubs are rubbish, Smiths, Flannerys etc, avoid Guinness in the Old Quarter at all costs.

when is the last time you had a pint of guiness there??

you realise its now called O'connells Guiness bar:D

i dont drink guiness myself but id imagine they have upgraded the quality of the guiness from before. although from opinions ive heard it wouldnt be hard:P

I stopped frequenting the old quarter many years ago, when I became a Guinness drinker. Jesus it was vile stuff altogether.
    So many pubs selling this hyrbid half and half nonsense nowadays though, it's rubbish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Myles Breens i agree with lovely spot, lovely people, gorgeous pints.

willie sextons on henry street i enjoy too, the lil garden out the abck is a nice surprise and nice staff

The Windmill can have great Guinness too, but it depends on who serves you. The big polish fella pours a terrible pint, and often forgets that he has one on waiting. The older fellas and the lovely little Polish girl all pour excellent pints though.

Icky Thump wrote: »
    when is the last time you had a pint of guiness there??

you realise its now called O'connells Guiness bar:D

i dont drink guiness myself but id imagine they have upgraded the quality of the guiness from before. although from opinions ive heard it wouldnt be hard:P

This thread is 3 years old so the Old Quarter was under different management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bazz26 wrote: »

Yes but the post in question was from today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »

...based on something that happened more than three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

bazz26 wrote: »
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    ...based on something that happened more than three years ago.

the old quarter was under different management yes. but thats the point i was making. i said its now o'connells guiness bar so i was throwing that in to see if anyone has tried it there.

we arent talking about the old quarter we are talking about o'connells

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement