Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia E90

• 10-07-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Woah!
    Expansys finally has a price for the E90. ... €989.95!

I'll ..erm.. pass for a bit. :rolleyes:

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146170

/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Yikes. That's pricey considering the latest offer I got in Germany was €0 with a contract that costs €19.90 a month. That's a 24 month contract though, gives you 200 minutes a month. Total cost over the 24 month contract works out as €478. That's SIM free and unlocked without any branding.

Alternatively, sellers on eBay are selling it from €799. Expansys is overpriced. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I was gonna buy this till I got my n770! Will probably end up getting it later on down the line, a love piece of kit!! But not worth a grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

819 from Komplett... Expansys have always been on the expensive side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

819.. bit better. that price wasn't up last night. nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've one pre-ordered with Expansys for months. But I'll be buying from the cheapest online store I can find. It'll be tough to move from the flip form factor, and compact size of the n93 though, I love my n93!

I still can't believe they left the fax out of this Communicator though.

• Advertisement

I have been a Komplett customer for many years, and can recommend them.

As far as fax capability, Nokia believes that no one uses it anymore.

Fax is still absolutely huge in Asia, one of Nokia's biggest markets, and the Asians have been going beserk over this. Fax is still one of the only ways to transmit legally binding documents to be signed electronically, and is crucial to business, which is where this phone is aimed at.

ned78 wrote:
    Fax is still absolutely huge in Asia, one of Nokia's biggest markets, and the Asians have been going beserk over this. Fax is still one of the only ways to transmit legally binding documents to be signed electronically, and is crucial to business, which is where this phone is aimed at.

And I always thought the Asian market was advanced, they still use fax? :eek:

"The 1980's just called, they want their fax machine back!"

And I always thought the Asian market was advanced, they still use fax? :eek:

As I've said, just because the casual world has moved onto eMail, the business world still very much uses, and needs fax. It's a stupid exclusion on Nokias part. Here's a quote from All about Symbian which explains it better than I can :
    Asia now is like Europe in the 1980s and 1990s, except that it’s really booming and vibrant. People are doing business, haggling and trading in the real world. They need that database, they need that fax while they’re on the motorcycle or in the truck. WiFi, Skype, IM are time wasters. The only IM they need is called SMS.

Well with the E90, Nokia has ignored this people. These people don’t need telco-plans etc they just need the tools to do the job. Nokia blew their chance with the E90.”

The importance of fax in the enterprise is nicely explained in a conversation at My-Symbian:

“Fax is a very old technology, but it’s very important to business. Fax is the standard way of bidding for a contract, of exchanging contracts prior to agreeing a sales deal, and of exchanging legally-admissable contracts prior to any kind of legal transaction between two companies.”

“Aside: Cryptographically-signed emails are recognized by some jurisdictions, but it’s not what people do as a matter of course. Think how many people sign their Outlook emails with PGP … not very many. And the price of buying certification is HIGH, but the cost of producing a legally admissable Fax is LOW. So… Fax lives - a good thing. It’s much more democratic.”

“Remember that the Communicator is a very unique category of computer.”

“Forget about “One Laptop Per Child” - a Communicator allows an entrepreneur or small business a lot of freedom to do business away from a corporate IT infrastructure, and from a very low cost base. This is why Communicators are important - and why Nokia needs to listen.”

Faxes aren't exactly more secure than email, and can easily be spoofed etc (just like unsigned emails).. That being said, I can appreciate what you are saying. I suppose Nokia messed up and assumed that no one was using fax anymore.

Owning a business myself, I do admit that I have to occasionally send a fax even now. A few years ago, I sent a lot of faxes. It's down to a handful a year now, if that.

• Advertisement

It's completely dependent on the type of business you do. I work a lot with the various finance houses, and they require proof of income be faxed. With the e90 I had hoped to be able to photograph P60s, Statements, Wageslips on site and fax them. It would have been a killer app for me.

If enough people let Nokia know, I am sure they will upgrade the firmware to support faxing. That being said, I do wonder if the built in camera would be good enough to photograph P60's?

I have a 3Mpix Camera on my n93, and it's fine. It doesn't need to be scanned-image quality, once the details are there, it's fine.

A possible workaround at the moment would be to get an account with blueface. That way, you can use their email to fax gateway and do exactly what you just mentioned. I use that when I do need to send a fax, which like I said isn't very often anymore. It has always worked brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

quite interested in this phone. Might be a bit of a brick but sounds good.

Not too up on the Symbian software and what it can do. I need it to download webmail from pop accounts. I'm sure it can do this but want to check.

I've had word that it should be available from O2 mid to late August.

Looks like 3 italy have it....
    http://www.tre.it/3foryou/Videofonini/index_12712_ITA_HTML.htm

gotta love the babelfish translation :-)
    I especially like the "twitterings" function available to this italian e90 variant.

And it quotes...
    It in motion increases the potentialities of yours business with Nokia E90, the last model of the Communicator series, for who it always wants true and just an office to hand capacity.
    Closed in order to telephone and open in order to navigate, to write mail and to visualize documents on wide display the horizontal one, Nokia E90 has a design absolutely works them.

The business one moves with you.

Thanks to service ADSM of 3 and technology HSDPA you will be able to be annoying in Internet and to transfer rows to high speed, until 3.6 Mbps[ 1 ], while, with the keys of fast choice, twitterings fastly from one function to the other: you will be able VideoChiamare while controls the agenda or to send mail during one telephone conference.

In more, thanks to the praticità of the integrated GPS, you will be able to explore the maps directly on yours videofonino® in order to arrive ovunque desires.

Nokia E90 Communicator. To be able in motion.
    FIN..

Whats the chances I could get an Italian contract and use like home feature here in Ireland?

Whats the chances it will ever get to these shores on 3?

Whats the chances we'll get some decent weather this summer?

@ SachaJ: pop mail = no problem. its built in. as many accounts as you like. no html though, plain text only. Profimail from Lonely Cat Games does html email for about 25 lids.

P.S: how many people are interested in this handset? Any site do discount for 5+ (besides expansys obviously)? I'm jackin in the N95. too much plastic, too little ram.

and "3 like home" should make the bold move which extends to purchasing 3 handsets online from any 3 outlet regardless of country. Buy the handset, pick the plan related to your country and thats it...one big happy EU mobile family.. and no.. i don't want to hear about prosaic logistics involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Anyone able to buy one of these yet?

From what i've gathered FM Mobiles had a few earlier this week but all sold out now.....

Anyone have a link to a good price for this online? (ie better than komplett). Don't want to go through the whole o2 germany thing or 3 Italy thing etc.
    Just an online site with a decent price. Any links appreciated!

Edit: Best price I've found is in USA: http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-e90-communicator-gsm-phone-unlocked/q/loc/101/204853791.html
    US only delivery. Not a problem here.... Any disadvantages to buying via US I wonder?

• Advertisement

So has anyone bit the bullet and bought yet? I'm still trying to justify it to myself ...

have it this past 2 weeks. Lovin it.

Where'd you order it from, and how much was it?

Komplett. €819.

Just noticed on the Vodafone website that the 9300i is discontinued, and that on the Vodafone UK website they're selling the e90. So, I phoned Vodafone Ireland and asked. They confirmed the e90 will be available on Vodafone in September, so that's my decision made I guess!

Fring is now supported on E90 as of today and a new version of Divx player tailored for the E90 screen will be available from tomorrow.
    6GB SDHC cards from Sandisk will be out next week. Price approx €75.

Happy days.

Indeed! I'm off to Poland on Wednesday, if I see one there I'll pick it up, failing that, I'll get one when I'm home. 6 Gigs is crazy, but in a good way!

you may want to hold off. Toshiba are bringing out their 8GB card at the end of the year with a RRP of 100. Its due Q4 '07. 16GB microSD card planned for Q3 '08!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I would hold off on buying an E90 until the quality problems are solved. I heard production has currently been paused because of 2 quality problems: The connection to the microphone sometimes comes loose, which causes the sound to crackle, and the keyboard is too high so it scratches the screen after prolonged opening/closing. Apparently the problems are so bad that Nokia has ceased production until they can solve these problems.

I've also heard some problems about the hinge becoming too loose after a while.

Here's the article about it in Reuters (I copied the text instead of the link I posted earlier because there were too many popups on the page):

Nokia says microphone problem hampers E90 roll-out

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Nokia said a defective component in microphones, coupled with high demand, have hampered the availability of its flagship business phone, the E90 Communicator.

Background noise during phone calls, which raised customer complaints, was caused by a defective component in the microphone, spokeswoman Theresa Parenteau for Nokia Enterprise Solutions unit told Reuters on Tuesday.

"Although the issue is now rectified it has resulted in more limited availability than originally anticipated in some markets," she said.

When Nokia unveiled the phone in February 2007 it said it would start selling it in the second quarter in selected markets, with volume shipments coming in the July-September quarter.

Customers have also reported scratches on the phone screen caused by some keyboard keys touching the screen. Nokia said it has now added a strengthening layer on the screens and modified the keyboard, so the keys will not touch the screen.

The HSDPA and WLAN-enabled E90 Communicator, which features a full keyboard, retails for around 750-800 euros ($1,025-$1,093) before taxes and subsidies.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

• Advertisement

Nobody click on the above link please ... it takes you to a page that hijacks your browser, and is riddled with popups.

Advertisement