Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the countryside help needed!!

Options
  • 10-07-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everybody I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of moving to a village in county meath (Drumconrath!) and I have done some research regarding wireless broadband availability and unfortunatly it won't be available in the area for at least another year so we'll probably have to go down the eircom-through-the-telephone-line route (which I don't really want!) but do I have a choice?

Secondly I plan on subscribing to sky or Chorus (probably the latter!) for the oul' telly but I have recently read somewhere that a company that aquired ntl have a package offering telephone, broadband and cable TV for a fixed monthly sum. Has anybody got some information on this?

I want to get started on the right footing and when I found this forum I thought this would be a good place to start!

All suggestions welcome :D

Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You did some research into wireless broadband? Net1 seems to cover you: http://www.net1.ie/coverage.php

Also, I know that Mt. Oriel (used to) provide mobile coverage to Drumconrath, so you may be able to get service from Digiweb or (very unlikely) Irish Broadband. Eircom FWA is an option, though I'm not sure what type of transmitter they're using. If they're using the right type, you'll probably be covered by it but the install costs €600 odd.

Sky offer better quality from what I've seen. I know lots of people who had Chorus Digital since it started in the area years back, who are now using Sky. I suggest you reconsider on that one. Also, there won't be a clear phone and broadband package like there is on proper cable. There are currently no concrete proposals for MMDS customers. So don't expect it anytime soon.

Btw, I think Drumconrath doesn't have DSL but is on the to-be-done list so you may be able to get broadband from eircom sometime in the next year or so. Hard to know exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Really you need to ask the Broadband people.

Note that unlike Cable / MMDS you can gets BBC/ITV etc free, legally on Satellite without a Sky subscription and Irish channels via aerial
    See the sticky in Satellite Forum and the ICDG in my sig.

Moving to Broadband...

Advertisement