Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera Problem and Price question

Options
  • 10-07-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey,

I posted this in the Almera Timing Belt thread but need to let the garage know tomorrow morning whether to proceed with the work or not so would appreciate any opinions quickly enough.

I have an 00 Almera and had to have the timing chain replaced in the last few days (after 59K miles). I got it done in the Windsor Nissan dealer in Rialto - 750 Euro!

But.. the car is still cutting out (when slowing down and also when idleing) and now they are saying the Mass Airflow Meter needs replacing for 866 Euro.

Does anyone know if this is a reasonable price for this? I've never even heard of the part before.

Conor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds way dear - even at main stealer prices for a MAF sensor (measures the engines intake of air and plays its part in causing the fuel/ignition to inject/spark at the best possible duration/time).

Secondly, was it a timing chain or a timing belt that was replaced? If it was a chain then why?

Sorry, I haven't read the other thread................

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Are there other garages that can replace it? (I just assumed it was an Almera/Nissan specific part and so could only be replaced in a Nissan garage).

I think it was the timing chain they replaced.

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to cars unfortunatly, which I'm sure has led to me being screwed once or twice so hopefully I can avoid it this time.

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I reckon a good independant mechanic can fit that MAF sensor alot cheaper than a main dealer. Main dealer labour costs are huge. I would get a second quote from a recommended independant mechanic.

BTW Nissan engines usually use timing chains rather than timing belts. Seems unusual that a timing chain needs replacing after only 59k miles. I though they were good for about 150k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

Had the same problem on our car - 00 Almera 1.5 (new shape). The car was constantly cutting out when changing down from 3rd to 2nd, or when coming to a roundabout. Then I noticed the rev counter was jumping when cruising along. Took it to independent mechanic who services the car, immediately he said it was the timing chain, appears it's a well known issue with these models. Ours had only 40K on the clock! Car was due a service so he said he'd have a look just in case. Sure enough, after E250 service was done, he told me chain needed replacing at some stage, the car wouldn't break down but the problem would continue to get worse. Cost would be about E500.
    So had it replaced about 3 weeks ago (cost of E720, including all the belts etc). Was pretty p*ssed off. Anyway, car drives really smoothly now, but still continues to cut out occasionally. Can't believe it's going to cost E866 to replace the MAF!
    Incidentally, i read there was a recall on UK cars for this issue, phoned the dealer where the car was bought new but told me recall didn't affect my car.
    Would never buy another Nissan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Had similar problems with my 04 Almera - turned out that the cam sensor needed to be replaced - i got it done under warranty so dont know how much it would cost - apparently its a common problem - was advised to change the oil more frequently - said half way between each service just change the oil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement