Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other 1st year DKIT'ers out there?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any other 1st year DKIT students out there?

I'm starting the 4 year degree course in Midwifery in September as a mature student - anyone else starting in DKIT this September?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Might be doing Civil Engineering? Still unsure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

my mate is doing the film course,
    maybe 2 friends.

im doing some computer thing in O Fiaich college which is right beside dkit..
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elderlymidwife

Hiya Embee
    Snap Mrs Fancy being a study buddy ???
    Ive got 2 kids and live in Trim , Have no idea how Im going to pay for this corse over the 3 years that we won't be paid!!Walking away from a 45k job that I hate and a boss that I hate even more but you know what I no longer care !!
    BRING ON THE BABIES( and the poor unfortunates that have me in charge of their delivery someday!!!)
    Looking forward to meeting you !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hiya Embee
    Snap Mrs Fancy being a study buddy ???
    Ive got 2 kids and live in Trim , Have no idea how Im going to pay for this corse over the 3 years that we won't be paid!!Walking away from a 45k job that I hate and a boss that I hate even more but you know what I no longer care !!
    BRING ON THE BABIES( and the poor unfortunates that have me in charge of their delivery someday!!!)
    Looking forward to meeting you !

OMG!!! Same course as me and everything!!!

I'm gonna PM you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

are either of you not over 23? if you are can you not get the mature students grant? nice to see more and more people joining dkit anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

draffodx wrote:
    are either of you not over 23? if you are can you not get the mature students grant? nice to see more and more people joining dkit anyway

I don't get the grant because I've been living with my parents since October of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I'm doing Creative Multimedia as a 1st year.

im...LOST wrote:
    I'm doing Creative Multimedia as a 1st year.

god stuff, anythhing you need to know about dkit just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elderlymidwife

yeah im ahem SLIGHTY over 24 but due to the fact that I have a BA already Im not eligible for any grant!!
    This pees me off a lot coz way back then I had to pay fees and didn't receive a grant either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Im starting games developement... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Evd-Burner wrote:
    Im starting games developement... :)

Woo hoo, another gamer! I'm in third year of that now... Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I was considering doing Games Development but i feared that it might have been too Mathsy for me. Not that I'm bad at Maths (B1 @ OL) but I just didn't really think that I'd enjoy it.

That and I'm kinda afraid of coding and programming >.<

I may do it after my Creative Multimedia course if I can afford it and I don't really have a job by then. We'll see....

BTW: PM sent to draffodx :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I'm doing computers, a first year mature student.
    Any other mature students out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Hi, All. I'm starting in DKIT doing the 3 year Film & TV studies course as a mature student. Anyone on here doing/done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

doing computing also - see you there annex :D

anyone know what the story is with start dates? i know registration is the 3rd (monday)..

When I went to the open night in January the woman I spoke with said that classes usually start at the end of September, apart from that I am as lost as the rest of you.
    I would imagine that we will find out on Monday when classes start, so enjoy your last bit of freedom lol.

smemon wrote:
    doing computing also - see you there annex :D

You will have to find me first ;)

annex wrote:
    You will have to find me first ;)

you'll be the mature one :p shouldn't be too hard to pick you out amongst all the teeny boopers :D

hopefully we won't start 'til late september.. a couple of extra weeks off would be nice..

There is more than one of us, I know another mature student that is doing the same class.
    When I was interviewed in early June there were a lot of applications on the desk and I was the first interviewed that day. My thinking is that there will be quite a few MS, I was offered a place the day after the interview and to me that tells me the number of school leavers going on the course is down. At the open night in January there was only two people interested in computers, everybody seemed to want onto multimedia.
    I was told that the amount of people that will drop out of this course by Christmas is fairly high. Either its too hard or too easy/boring.

annex wrote:
    Either its too hard or too easy/boring.

yeah that's what i'm thinking...

a lot of people see computers as an easy subject like working with MS office or opening and closing folders..

i've heard of people that walk out of computer courses once they hear the word 'maths' :D

i'd agree with you there'll be a lot of dropouts early on.. that will be due to lack of research.. but it will be nice if there's a few Mature students there as it will make me feel younger :) plus it sort of makes things more serious/focused which is what i want..

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    but it will be nice if there's a few Mature students there as it will make me feel younger :)

You cheeky fecker ;)

Thank god I am prepared for the maths, I am not great at it but I know it will be there. If I feel its too hard (I am out of school almost 20 years) I will just have to ask for help or get grinds. The help is there you just have to want it or admit that you need it.
    When you look at it 3 years is nothing, I have spent longer than that standing in line once a month to put my name on a card or earning ****e money in dead end jobs.

annex wrote:
    Thank god I am prepared for the maths, I am not great at it but I know it will be there. If I feel its too hard (I am out of school almost 20 years) I will just have to ask for help or get grinds. The help is there you just have to want it or admit that you need it.
    When you look at it 3 years is nothing, I have spent longer than that standing in line once a month to put my name on a card or earning ****e money in dead end jobs.

yeah 3 years will fly past.. in reality it's 9 months, less about 2 months in holidays, so it's actually about 7 months 'work' per year for 3 years..

i always hated maths myself, and i don't know what to expect but it should help if you've an interest in computers as it has to be, in some way, related to computers..

the reason i hated maths was because i felt i'd never use 99% of it and couldn't relate it to anything only money/tax etc.. so hopefully i'll be a bit more interested/alert..

just out of curiosity, are you doing a language as an elective? i also hated languages in school so i think i'll be opting for computer architecture :cool:

smemon wrote:
    just out of curiosity, are you doing a language as an elective? i also hated languages in school so i think i'll be opting for computer architecture :cool:

What :eek:
    Crap I forgot about that. I will talk to somebody about that on Monday if I can. Languages and me don't mix well and I would have to start off with the very basics, I would imagine it would be for students with a knowledge of their chosen language.
    I don't think I am as prepared as I thought I was, now I know how a lamb feels before slaughter.

annex wrote:
    What :eek:
    Crap I forgot about that. I will talk to somebody about that on Monday if I can. Languages and me don't mix well and I would have to start off with the very basics, I would imagine it would be for students with a knowledge of their chosen language.
    I don't think I am as prepared as I thought I was, now I know how a lamb feels before slaughter.

ha, sorry you had to hear it from me :o

that was the first thing that stood out for me.. i seen languages - french/german/spanish and said to hell with that, i'm not doing that course..

then i noticed you didn't actually have to do a language, you could do 'computer architecture' instead :)

more details here.

for all of us language haters, we're forced to take 'computer architecture' for semester 1 and 'personal skills development' whatever that is, for semester 2.

as far as i know you don't need knowledge off spanish but for german/french you need to have done it and passed at LC level.. i'm not sure if that applies to mature students though..

i'm goin into the third year of that course lads, first year is fairly easy and is a really gentle start to things, you get abit of everything in the first two semesters, i say its easy as in if you concentrate and do your work you wont find it to be overly stressfull or hard.

computer architecture is one of the most technical subjects make sure you attend these classes especially the labs as if you fall behind at all it will get confusing

Programming Principles is an introduction to basic programming, i think its changed since i done it but again you need to attend class and make sure you keep up with all the questions you'll be given as well as puting work into projects

Interactive Multimedia i enjoyed this alot, you get to use photoshop as well as other editing software and do grpahics and website type stuff, its fairly simple and enjoyable

Maths for Computing 1 ah the dreaded maths, always was my week point but was very easy i thought, the lecturers were very good and the content is actually easy enough and mostly leaving cert stuff repeated, we even got to bring in sheets with solutions to the tests during the semester

Computer Applications this is just using the basic pc programs like word, excel, powerpoint, really easy and shouldn't be a problem

Study & Learning Skills an easy enough part of the course, its more annoying than anything, you wont see the point in it, but it has to be done, we got a end of year bowling trip that was great craic through this though :)

any help you need with the course or anything just let me know

draffodx wrote:
    i'm goin into the third year of that course lads, first year is fairly easy and is a really gentle start to things, you get abit of everything in the first two semesters, i say its easy as in if you concentrate and do your work you wont find it to be overly stressfull or hard.

computer architecture is one of the most technical subjects make sure you attend these classes especially the labs as if you fall behind at all it will get confusing

Programming Principles is an introduction to basic programming, i think its changed since i done it but again you need to attend class and make sure you keep up with all the questions you'll be given as well as puting work into projects

Interactive Multimedia i enjoyed this alot, you get to use photoshop as well as other editing software and do grpahics and website type stuff, its fairly simple and enjoyable

Maths for Computing 1 ah the dreaded maths, always was my week point but was very easy i thought, the lecturers were very good and the content is actually easy enough and mostly leaving cert stuff repeated, we even got to bring in sheets with solutions to the tests during the semester

Computer Applications this is just using the basic pc programs like word, excel, powerpoint, really easy and shouldn't be a problem

Study & Learning Skills an easy enough part of the course, its more annoying than anything, you wont see the point in it, but it has to be done, we got a end of year bowling trip that was great craic through this though :)

any help you need with the course or anything just let me know

cheers for that, always nice to get a bit of inside info before we start..

a bit off topic, but were what was the males:females ratio like? :D

edit: almost forgot, roughly how many hours per week does the course involve?

smemon wrote:
    ha, sorry you had to hear it from me :o

that was the first thing that stood out for me.. i seen languages - french/german/spanish and said to hell with that, i'm not doing that course..

then i noticed you didn't actually have to do a language, you could do 'computer architecture' instead :)

more details here.

for all of us language haters, we're forced to take 'computer architecture' for semester 1 and 'personal skills development' whatever that is, for semester 2.

as far as i know you don't need knowledge off spanish but for german/french you need to have done it and passed at LC level.. i'm not sure if that applies to mature students though..

Looks like I will be taking the computer architecture too, languages are out I think I read that the English is for foreign students. So not a lot of choice really.
    The personal Skills development is a bit of a head scratcher tho, lol.

annex wrote:
    Looks like I will be taking the computer architecture too, languages are out I think I read that the English is for foreign students. So not a lot of choice really.
    The personal Skills development is a bit of a head scratcher tho, lol.

yeah, i'd be doing english if i could get away with it :p

No choice really unless you pick spanish.. but tbh i'd just be sitting laughing in that class as i wouldn't have a clue what's going on :rolleyes:

yeah the skills development sounds like a bluffers class.. probably involving better communication, organization etc..

out of the whole year there was about 50 males and 6 or 7 females, it didnt start to dwindle until the 3rd semester

i think theres about 28 - 30 hours involved in the first semester.

personal skills is annoying, its all about good study practices,
    how to study, how to pick out important findings, you have to keep a dairy of your study schedule and how you find modules and how you think your progressing, there is a lot of work involved but it is the class i missed the most and i still got 69 in it.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    out of the whole year there was about 50 males and 6 or 7 females, it didnt start to dwindle until the 3rd semester
    There were only 57 students in a class that should have 120? Did I get that right? No wonder they offered me a place lol. Its all about bums on seats :D

draffodx wrote:
    personal skills is annoying, its all about good study practices,
    how to study, how to pick out important findings, you have to keep a dairy of your study schedule and how you find modules and how you think your progressing, there is a lot of work involved but it is the class i missed the most and i still got 69 in it.
    I will fail this one, would put money on it. I am so disorganised, Wherever I go a mess follows me :rolleyes:

Advertisement