Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have a diabetes Forum?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if some of us Diabetes sufferers should try and get our own forum up. It would be a good way to discuss our experiences and treatments, clinics etc. Also as there are more and more people being diagnosed with it (and lets be honest its a bit of a shock when u get the news:( ) people who searched the boards would be able to get really useful info from fellow Diabetics.

Just throwing it out there.

Thanks

Snake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭heidi_ho

I think it would be a great idea!

Sometimes when you are diagnosed with diabetes or any complications that go hand in hand with the condition you forget to ask questions or are not really aware of what really could happen and peoples experiences help, even as a support or comfort.

Lets face it, its very easy for non diabetic people to just say just mind the sugars and everything will be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This board was originally requested to be created as a Diabetes forum but it was decided to make it cover a broader range of conditions when it was setup. Us diabetics probably are in the majority on this board, but I don't think we have quite taken it over fully yet. ;)

But this is the place for all those type of questions for any type of long term medical condition, and as diabetics could end up "catching" some of the other conditions later on I find it good to read the other threads also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone with the condition on boards will surely have the wit to look in Long Term Illness forum.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

agreed - I think just diabetes wouldn't generate enough traffic to warrant a forum on it's own , IMO. I try to keep the threads clear enough with titles etc, so that you can find info on your specific condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

that would be great!! the question is-is it possible? If yes, then I'm definitely for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

robinph wrote:
    This board was originally requested to be created as a Diabetes forum but it was decided to make it cover a broader range of conditions when it was setup. Us diabetics probably are in the majority on this board, but I don't think we have quite taken it over fully yet. ;)

But this is the place for all those type of questions for any type of long term medical condition, and as diabetics could end up "catching" some of the other conditions later on I find it good to read the other threads also.
    Yes, we are not imune to other illnesses unfortunatly as I found out when I got cancer. I personally find it interesting reading how other people are coping with other long term illnesses. It was actually one of the things that initially drew me to my husband who has crohns - we both have serious illnesses but we cope with them and we have been very supportive of one another.

Once the naming convention is obeyed this forum is an invaluable resource for diabetics and non-diabetics alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Johnny Meagher

I'm inclined to agree that Long Term Illness is specific enough for a forum and as CathyMoran points out it leaves room for cross-fertilisation! living with long term illness (their term not mine :)) is a lifestyle thing and any LTI suff... challenger can teach us all tips and tricks, a lot of it is mental after all

Advertisement