Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some general broadband questions

Options
  • 11-07-2007 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

My line is after passing the suitability test for broadband on the Eircom website and I need to ask a few questions.

1.Looking at the Eircom packages available, is there a big difference between what you can do with 2mb download and a 1mb download?
    2.Is it worth paying the extra bucks for the 2mb package for a reasonably heavy user?
    3.What happens if you go over the allowed cap?
    4.How do I find out if my line is suitable for 2mb download before ordering the package?
    5. How long does it take Eircom to install broadband from time you order the package?( estimate)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1.Looking at the Eircom packages available, is there a big difference between what you can do with 2mb download and a 1mb download?
    For general surfing/emailing you won't notice much difference. If you download a lot or have more than 1 pc sharing the connection, then you will notice the difference. The 2 meg package also comes with faster upload speed so if you're sending large emails or uploading to a website it's handy.
    2.Is it worth paying the extra bucks for the 2mb package for a reasonably heavy user?
    See above.
    3.What happens if you go over the allowed cap?
    Nothing, as yet.
    4.How do I find out if my line is suitable for 2mb download before ordering the package?
    You can't find out really although you could ask. Technically they shouldn't accept the order if their test results show that your line won't support it. If you're currently getting 42k or over on dialup you should be ok. If in doubt it's always a good idea to order the slowest package and see how you get on. Upgrades are done free if you want to move up.
    5. How long does it take Eircom to install broadband from time you order the package?( estimate)
    10 working days but usually quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't want to get into trouble for what might appear to be blatant advertising, so I won't mention specific names...

Just bear in mind that there are packages available from other operators which will completely bypass your first 3 concerns, and for a cheaper price than eircom offer.

Advertisement