Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Today, newspaper supplements and other mailbox drops

Options
  • 11-07-2007 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking today at my recycling last week, and I noticed that a fair amount of it is comprised of free newspaper supplements and mail-drops.

While there is an occasional worthwhile paragraph in some of the newspaper supplements, I have to admit that I have absolutely no interest in the property market so the Property Today mail drop ends up going straight into the recycle bin, unopened and unread.

Likewise, we often double-up on the Limerick Independent or The Post (although at least one version of those will be read. so I don't really have a problem with those).

The thing is, this is (a) a complete waste and (b) means that I have to buy recycle bags slightly more often because they've decided to drop it in my letterbox - i.e. there's a cost involved, even though I never asked them for this supplement.

Is there a way to get these guys (particularly the property-related rubbish) to stop ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I was going house to house recently and a good few houses had signs up saying 'no property papers' or 'no junkmail/papers' ... maybe give that a try?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I didn't know they did drops of the property today. I only get it in the morning leader.

Wednesday i get the Limerick Independent
    Thursday i get the Post
    Friday I get the Limerick Leader weekender.

Monday and tuesday seems to be referred to crap from Lidl or four star pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I get the three mentioned above plus the Limerick Property Pages and Evening Echo's Property View

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I know people that have the no junk mail etc signs up
    but they're ignored. Dont mind the weekender but theres
    rarely anything on it.

I've 11 Cats. That Junk that comes in the Letter box makes
    great liners for the Kitty litter tray.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

bullets wrote:
    I know people that have the no junk mail etc signs up
    but they're ignored. Dont mind the weekender but theres
    rarely anything on it.

I've 11 Cats. That Junk that comes in the Letter box makes
    great liners for the Kitty litter tray.

~B

Get's a big big envelope ready :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Get's a big big envelope ready :p

And the lead bars!

~B

bullets wrote:
    And the lead bars!

~B

Hahaha.. not a chance! I'm not supplying you with free model making material.. ;)

Anywho.. back to the topic - they're a pain in the rear tbh.. I only ever bother with the Post the rest go straight in the bin.. along with the 7/8 spam letters I get from Chorus every month.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You can ring Chorus and ask them to stop sending you marketing letters.....I did this last month because they were sending me a broadband ad every month......I explained to them that the day they could match my current package at the same price I'd gladly talk to them, but until then there was no point in sending them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i have used the "no junk mail" sticker approach and trust me it does work about 85% of the time.. and when it didnt work and i saw the people leaving my doorstep i go to the door and ask if they can read!! usually they say they can and remember you enough not to do it again..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I get the three mentioned above plus the Limerick Property Pages and Evening Echo's Property View

That ceased publication months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

an post workers sometimes deliver them..companies pay through the nose to make sure they get delivered but the lads dont like it any more than you guys do!

Liam Byrne wrote:
    You can ring Chorus and ask them to stop sending you marketing letters.....I did this last month because they were sending me a broadband ad every month......I explained to them that the day they could match my current package at the same price I'd gladly talk to them, but until then there was no point in sending them...

Well I really don't see why should have to go to the expense of ringing them - I got a letter from them last week and wrote on the back of it to take my address off their list and mark any proper communication as "not a circular".

I really hoped that would be the end of it but I got another on Thursday, I'm not happy.. I reckon comreg is the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I stuck a piece of paper to the flap on my letterbox that reads "No papers or fliers please". I havent had any papers since & about the only thing I ever get in now is those stickers for "charity" clothing collections.

Advertisement