Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stream in Donaghmede

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

seansouth wrote:
    Wow, this is a fascinating thread guys.

I think Degsy should give classes in local history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

seansouth wrote:
    Wow, this is a fascinating thread guys. I'm from Coolock, just behind the Garda Station, and I now live in the Apartments next to the Hilton Hotel on the N32 (my apartment touches the hotel).

Of course I knew about the Santry River, but I never knew all of these other streams existed. Nice to know.

Does the Mayne actually flow through the Belmayne development? They have some nice plans for parkland in there, be nice if they uncovered a part of the stream for this.

As far as i know there's no plans to culvert the river so its still visible at he moment at any rate.You can see where it meets the sea at baldoyle,slightly down from the racecourse at a pumphouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Degsy wrote:
    I dont think the naniken goes to finglas.The stream that gives finglas its name "Fionn-Glas" or Clear Stream enters the tolka just beyond the royal oak,its visble only for a short section beyond premier square.Chances are they'll culvert it too.

sorry I was trying to remember the one between the santry and the tolka that could be all called the naniken with only the st annes bit left... its on this map starting near jamestown going through ballymun santry artane and raheny

http://www.joyceimages.com/images/Map%20Dublin%20Environs.JPG

Yep thats it..i had no idea it was so long.You can also clearly see teh Donough Water on that map,it seems to rise at Bonnybrook House..But it doesnt flow into the sea at the end of the kilbarrack road like i t hought,it flows northwards towards baldoyle and joins the Mayne river at the back of Stapolin House.This is strange,it also means that that river would've been visible at Seagrange park up untill very recently.I wonder is there any of it left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That is a fantastic, interesting map there, thanks so much for posting that.

What is the river south of the Santry River flowing from Balcuriss House, past Jamestown House, on then south of Coolock and through to St Ann's, into the sea between Raheny and Dollymount?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just thought I'd add my 2c, the part of the river that passed the Beeches was covered over in the 90's (mid) as far as I remember. I hung around with a guy that lived beside it and we used to pass it on the way home from school every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Great thread, sorry if this has been answered already.

On the border between Donnycarney and Artane (besides Statoil on Malahide Road, there is Donnycarney Bridge
    This is a plaque showing when the bridge was built. I don’t know the exact date but it’s probably 19th century afaik.

What river flows under this small bridge as none in visible in Donnycarney to the West and Killester to the East?

Oh my god micmclo, I came back to ask about that very bridge :)

I was wondering too why the river doesn't seem to be on the map. Strange one. Perhaps the stream was covered before the map was made?

seansouth wrote:
    That is a fantastic, interesting map there, thanks so much for posting that.

What is the river south of the Santry River flowing from Balcuriss House, past Jamestown House, on then south of Coolock and through to St Ann's, into the sea between Raheny and Dollymount?

Thats the Nanniken River.There was also a river that flowed under Ballymun called the Wadd Water,it was culverted in Red Brick and could be seen briefly when The new main street at ballymun was being built.

You're great Degsy:)

Any info on the river/bridge in Donnycarney?

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    You're great Degsy:)

Any info on the river/bridge in Donnycarney?

Just waiting on the map librarian to get back from a meeting,should have something for ya then!

Cool.

You should run tours etc. I'd help.

seansouth wrote:
    Cool.

You should run tours etc. I'd help.

Need to do more research first though.Now,i've found that stream,its almost certainly the Nanniken river,which rises at Santry in an area just left of Santry avenue,under what is now Shanliss.It continues through beaumont,artane,donneycarney,killester,under the howth road and flows through st annes park.
    Here's some details of the Donough Water,taken from before it was culverted.
    The stream has a narrow catchment of 1080 acres withtwo main outfalls at killbarrack.It rises south of Turnapin on the swords road,just east of the santry bypass and has a west-east catchment bounded on the north by the Mayne and Grange river catchments and the Santry river and Blackbanks stream catchments on the south.It flows to Clonshaugh Industrial estate and on to Clonshaugh Road then to Priorswood and Newberry,Fairfield,Ferrycarrig,Darndale south,north of the Greencastle Coolock industrial estate to Newtown bridge then the ne Malahide road.From here it goes through Slademore and Clonrosse to millbrook road.It continues eastwards paralleling north of Tonlagee and Kilbarrack roads to Streamville Rd and teh Beeches to Grange road and north to the seperation point of the two outfalls.The Diversion pipe takes about 180 acres out of the main catchment of the stream and going southward over to teh Kilbarrack road it then runs along this road under the Dart rail,with Priorfield and Thornville on its south-right,past Sarto estate to outfall on the east coast of the pumping station and by the Pressure Culvert of the N.D.D.S to the sutt=on foreshore.From the diversion point it passessouth of Donaghmede and comes to the Dart rail at Howth Junction,it crosses under the station and makes its way to bayside Square West,turns sharply southward and towards the exit to the Howth-Dublin Road.It passes under the Dublin road,the promenade and teh NDDS pressure culvert sewer.The sutton foreshore recieves the runoff flow fromn the straem catchment at this point 310 metres north of Killbarrack road.The toal lenght of the stream hidden from view is 5 miles.A holy Well of St Donagh was situated at Donaghmede beside the stream,described as a small pool about 15 feet in diameter overhung by an ash tree.The devotions happened her on st John's eveSt Donagh is credited with bringing the first honey bees to ireland.The well was finally avoided because of alcohol abuse.
    There was also a small sctream to the north called teh Grange Stream which passed through Grangemore,Grange abbey and Donaghmede where it was open,through Baldpyle industrial estate in a piped course,Abbey park and Seagrange road to the new ChurchIt travels under Willie Nolan road to Main Street and Strand Road in Baldoyle ,south of St peter and paul church to discharge onto the sand of Portmarnock sea channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

the st donaghs scobies robbed it

heres a map of dublin watercourses,hope its readable

Degsy wrote:
    Need to do more research first though.
    :cool:

Please don't take the folowing the wrong way, please don't, I am most definitely not trying to get at you in any way, but I do have a very nitpicky personality. So apologies in advance if I cause offence.

You really are one of the most knowledgeable and interesting people I've come accross on Boards by the way, fair play to you, keep it up.:)
    Degsy wrote:
    Now,i've found that stream,its almost certainly the Nanniken river,which rises at Santry in an area just left of Santry avenue,under what is now Shanliss.It continues through beaumont,artane,donneycarney,killester,under the howth road and flows through st annes park.
    You said earlier that the
    ME wrote:
    the river south of the Santry River flowing from Balcuriss House, past Jamestown House, on then south of Coolock and through to St Ann's, into the sea between Raheny and Dollymount?
    was the Nanniken.

Now, I'm just harking back to that old map posted earlier, and I realise It may be a bit off, but it doesn't seem to be for the other rivers, but the course of the Nanniken on that map puts it too far North to run under that bridge at Donnycarney Church?

Weird.

seansouth wrote:
    :cool:

Please don't take the folowing the wrong way, please don't, I am most definitely not trying to get at you in any way, but I do have a very nitpicky personality. So apologies in advance if I cause offence.

You really are one of the most knowledgeable and interesting people I've come accross on Boards by the way, fair play to you, keep it up.:)

You said earlier that the

was the Nanniken.

Now, I'm just harking back to that old map posted earlier, and I realise It may be a bit off, but it doesn't seem to be for the other rivers, but the course of the Nanniken on that map puts it too far North to run under that bridge at Donnycarney Church?

Weird.

Okay,my b ad on this one.The river in question is actually the Wad.It runs near enough to the Nanniken to cause confusion on a smaller map.It rises southeast of meakstown in popintree,west of ballymun flats to ballymun Cross Roads near Wad bridge.It seperates into two channels one of which leads into the Tolka,the other one is fed by a number of smaller streams and continues under Ellenfield road and trough Beaumont Grove,it crosses Beaumont road in an 8'x4' stone arch at Doyles bridge,to the grounds of Thorndale on the north and the Vetinary Reasearch laboratory on the south.The river then crosses the Celtic Park Road,goes along the back gardens north of tthe Collins Park houses and south of Elmount Ave houses for 700 metres then through the cul-de-sac at t he east end and on to DONNEYCARNEY BRIDGE(formerly Scurlogues Bridge).From there the river heads for the northern front gardens of Collins Avenue east opposite the curch and through Victoria park into Clontarf Golf Club grounds.It eventually flows under the Howth road and enters the ornamental grounds beside "Glaslyn".Passing through the apartment site on the south and under the garda station the river goes under the Clontarf Road in a box culvert under the grass park and dischrges into the sea at clontarf foreshore 380 metres east of the Clontarf railway Bridge.

That's excellent, thanks Degsy.

Howth Road you say, I wonder if the Well in Harry Byrne's taps into this River, sounds like it could.

That stone arch you referred to that takes it accross the Beaumount Road, would you think this is visible if one was to head down the Beaumount Road? Doyle's bridge? Wonder where that is.

seansouth wrote:
    That's excellent, thanks Degsy.

Howth Road you say, I wonder if the Well in Harry Byrne's taps into this River, sounds like it could.

That stone arch you referred to that takes it accross the Beaumount Road, would you think this is visible if one was to head down the Beaumount Road? Doyle's bridge? Wonder where that is.

Unless they've completly re-designed the Beaumont road it should still be visible.The river crosses at the point where Beaumont grove meets Beaumont Road,on the left-hand sidse if you face inland,so coming from town it should be just before the entrance to beaumont grove...damn i'm curious myself now!

Degsy,
    Great work ! I am printing all your stuff and keeping it for future reference. If anyone ever asks- I will have all the answers, thanks to yourself.
    Cheers !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that map ain't that clear got any accurate maps that show the old rivers, where are you geting those descriptions from

that joyce map shows me only one river running from jameston to raheny, is that not the wad and the naniken?

I must have donaghies river running culveted under me house then

it interesting re the discussion in the other thread about where bayside and baldoyle is ,its hard to place much history in bayside, rather its a (new) place between baldoyle (grange) and kilbarrack and the entire area is defined by the manor farms (fecking bouguois) and oh yes howth junction rail station too...

this is a great book on descriptions of old dublin http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/balllist.htm

that map ain't that clear got any accurate maps that show the old rivers, where are you geting those descriptions from

that joyce map shows me only one river running from jameston to raheny, is that not the wad and the naniken?

it interesting re the discussion in the other thread about where bayside and baldoyle is ,its hard to place much history in bayside, rather its a (new) place between baldoyle (grange) and kilbarrack and the entire area is defined by the manor farms (fecking bouguois) and oh yes howth junction rail station too...

this is a great book on descriptions of old dublin http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/balllist.htm

The descriptions and the map cpme from a book called "The Rivers of Dublin" by Clair L Sweeney.I dont own a copy myself i was consulting the one in work.The problem with a lot of the old maps is they show streams as black or blue lines but dont name them.That book calls the Donough Water the "kilbarrack stream".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

There was a river "back in the day" in the donaghies along streamville road. (Hence the name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

There was a river "back in the day" in the donaghies along streamville road. (Hence the name)

AKA, "the rat river"

Thats the Donough Water..could be rough down there of an evening in the 70's..tended to be gangs of skinheads drinking

This talk might be of interest :
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/en/HomeSearchDetails.aspx?EventID=1128
    The speaker is the author of the book 'Green fields gone forever', mentioned earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Just to echo what Degsy said: "...Donneycarney Bridge (1896) which spans the now culverted River Wad (formerly called the Holly Brook)..." from Pat Liddy's Walking Dublin

If anybody is still looking for Green Fields Forever, they have a copy in DCU library if you have access or know somebody that does. Or at least they did have a copy 3 or 4 years ago.

Also, last month in Coolock library beside Northside SC, they had a small but interesting display about the history of some of the houses in the area. It may or may not still be there, it was in the area behind the librarian's desk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Heritage Week always has a number of gems of talks - unfortunately, it's impossible to go to them all.

jos28 wrote:
    This talk might be of interest :
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/en/HomeSearchDetails.aspx?EventID=1128
    The speaker is the author of the book 'Green fields gone forever', mentioned earlier in this thread.
    I'll definitely be going to that, thanks for the heads up. :)

Exit wrote:
    Just to echo what Degsy said: "...Donneycarney Bridge (1896) which spans the now culverted River Wad (formerly called the Holly Brook)..." from Pat Liddy's Walking Dublin
    A-ha. Lightbulb just gone off in my head.

The old Hollybrook Hotel...now the Parlour Bar, a restaurant and some apaertments...cool.

Interesting stuff indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Degsy wrote:
    Thats the Donough Water..could be rough down there of an evening in the 70's..tended to be gangs of skinheads drinking

The river might be gone, replaced with housing, but the scummers are still around!! (albeit a new generation of scum)

Advertisement