Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stream in Donaghmede

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jos28 wrote:
    This talk might be of interest :
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/en/HomeSearchDetails.aspx?EventID=1128
    The speaker is the author of the book 'Green fields gone forever', mentioned earlier in this thread.
    I just thought I'd bump this.

The talk is tomorrow, and I'm going.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'll be there (if I can get out of work early)

Come over and say hi, I have a beard on my chin, I'll be with my mother :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dammit,gonna miss that one.Ask doug does he have any copies f his book for sale.

Degsy wrote:
    Dammit,gonna miss that one.Ask doug does he have any copies f his book for sale.
    I was going to anyway...do you want me to pick you one up if he does?

I can post it to you or something?

It's out of print isn't it?

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    I was going to anyway...do you want me to pick you one up if he does?

I can post it to you or something?

It's out of print isn't it?

He may have had a reprint..see what he says,pick me one up if ya can..cheers!

Degsy wrote:
    He may have had a reprint..see what he says,pick me one up if ya can..cheers!
    If he only has one left....I'm having it.:D

Seriously though, will do.

I got one for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Des, Sorry I didn't get to say hi. Didn't get out of STUPID work until 6.20. Too Late. Did I miss much. Was it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Never knew about this stream. Only lived in donaghmede for about 5 years though. Its good to hear some history/info about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I've written a description of the course of that stream somewhere in this thread..its interesting in that it doesnt flow staright to the sea but turns up through baldoyle and past the back of the racecourse.
    It was culverted in the mid 90's at this point because a kid drowned at the back of seagrange estate.

well i have the rest of it on my other maps, i think there was a line put out to the sea artificially,i think that it will have been changed around a lot at various times, i wasnt sure whether that was artificial, i see if i can dig up a links to where i got that from.

http://www.joyceimages.com/media/ji/Map%20Dublin%20Environs.JPG and... http://www.freewebs.com/dublinstreams/images/kilbarrackstream.jpg and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0233.html baldoyle reserve
    also there's the stapolin and grange house map fro the building surverys website which ain't that readable,http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewcounty.cgi?county=6 and the osi historic maps website too...

Thats a great map,ta.
    The Donough water actually crossed through Stapolin estate and then joined the Mayne river.The amount of times we hung out in the grounds of Stapolin and just assumed irt was some ditch!
    Part of it must still be there as that area hasnt been completley built on..anybody care to check?

Jaysis.

I used to live in the Apartments on Northern Cross, and the builders had the cheek to call the road at the back of the Hilton "Mayne River Avenue". Not a sign of it.

Also, The Mayne River is a part of the Gardens at Belmayne, but I never went in for a look before I moved out.

Where exactly do they empty into the see?

Degsy, did you ever get that book :)

Des wrote: »
    Jaysis.

I used to live in the Apartments on Northern Cross, and the builders had the cheek to call the road at the back of the Hilton "Mayne River Avenue". Not a sign of it.

Also, The Mayne River is a part of the Gardens at Belmayne, but I never went in for a look before I moved out.

Where exactly do they empty into the see?

Degsy, did you ever get that book :)

A river empties into the sea at the pumphouse on the coast road beside the racecourse.There's a sign there now saying "deep water".I ts certainly big enough to be the confluence of both rivers.I'd be interested in taking a spin out there if anybody wants to join me.
    yep Des i gotthe book,still aint paid ya though :(

I'd definitely come with :)

You can have the book, for that screen you gave me.

Des wrote: »
    I'd definitely come with :)

You can have the book, for that screen you gave me.

Kewl.I have pretty good idea the course the stream follows.I'd be going tommorow if anybody else wants to come...

Tomorrow is no good, today is herself's birthday, and we're heading out to Bray tomorrow.

Not to worry.Another day is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Degsy wrote: »
    I dont think we ever called it anything.Does anybody remember the fire at Hector's warehouse and there was a free for all of half-burned toys and playing cards that were stuck together?Useless scumbags from St Donagh's started the fire and a few years later tried to burn the man's house down.
    I remember that vividly as a kid.

I came from Cardonagh Road and lived there in the 1970's until the early 1980's.

What a walk down memory lane.

dSTAR wrote: »
    I remember that vividly as a kid.

I came from Cardonagh Road and lived there in the 1970's until the early 1980's.

What a walk down memory lane.

You'll also remember that a lot of the toys ended up in the stream we're talking about,it ran right past Hector(real name Alexander Scott).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'm not from around there originally, but am living nearby now. Great thread. enjoy discovering new info about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Degsy wrote: »
    You'll also remember that a lot of the toys ended up in the stream we're talking about,it ran right past Hector(real name Alexander Scott).
    The stuff ended up for miles around. For months afterwards I would find bits of melted toys.

I would be keen to find out more about the history of the name Donagh, Donough or Donahie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

dSTAR wrote: »
    I would be keen to find out more about the history of the name Donagh, Donough or Donahie.

From Green Fields Gone Forever, regarding The Donahies:

"While one theory of the original name is from a St. Donagh (St. Donagh's Well, St. Donagh's Road), the Place Names Commission favour the origin as put forward during the original Ordnance Survey in 1837, that it is from Domhnach Mhide, or the Church of Mide. There is no trace on record of this Church, but the use of the name Domhnach would suggest a very early, pre-Norman Church"

heres messy drawing of all the possible streams for the donagh and nearby streams/rivers, also ya have to look for sewage, water mains.
    donaghposs.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=29&msa=0&msid=108692096314893578946.00046255e732b638f18b3&ll=53.411271,-6.231823&spn=0.069886,0.22316&z=13

heres messy drawing of all the possible streams for the donagh and nearby streams/rivers, also ya have to look for sewage, water mains.
    donaghposs.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=29&msa=0&msid=108692096314893578946.00046255e732b638f18b3&ll=53.411271,-6.231823&spn=0.069886,0.22316&z=13

Was up in Baldoyle a few weeks back and part of the Donough water is still plainly visible at the back of seagrange and Moyclare.

It seems the river splits in two directions..one part emptying at the coast road near sutton and the other entering the sea near the racecourse in baldoyle.

Advertisement