Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Port Tunnel - toll halved!

Options
  • 11-07-2007 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Due to the lack of usage at the weekends, the port tunnel toll is going to be halved from this weekend for all weekends.

Think that makes it about €3 to use :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Here is 'something' on it - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/weekend-toll-cuts-to-entice-motorists-996518.html

Will anyone use it?

Is it a case of using Joe Soap motorist to keep the cash rolling in at off peak periods? There was some bullsh!t excuse and I quote: "The move was agreed in a bid to aid traffic travelling to the airport in the summer season as well as those destined for major sporting events in the capital".

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Haha! Indeed... While it may help congestion if it's used enough, if that's all they cared about it would be free. In fairness though I'd use it for €3 sometimes, especially if I'm trying to get across town at a peak time over the weekend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get to the M50 traffic jam quicker and pay €3 for the privelige!
    :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

For €3 at the weekend I may use it a bit more
    I regularly travel from Blackrock to Drogheda and It's mighty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I think it's amazing, if pricey. I normally take the M50 in the mornings (leave at 0620), but had to return home (Swords), so ended up leaving my house about 0645. Was going to be late for a call in work so bit the bullet and paid the €12. Was sat in the office in Loughlinstown by 0715, wouldn't have happened if I'd sat on the M50 :rolleyes:
    Off to Dun Laoghaire later this morning, will happily pay €6 for the time saved, and will definitely use it at the weekend for €3...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Its amazing they acutually might make the money back that they lost on building the tunnell. Its a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Slow down there boys;

"The NRA hopes to introduce the new tolls within the next few weeks. However, the move has yet to be discussed with Dublin City Council."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'd love to know why they close it down every night. Last night it was still open at 12,which is the first time I've seen that happen,I work the airport so pass it often.Someone said that it was to keep boy racers from using and abusing, which kind of nullifies their claims of having state of the art camera systems and the guards waiting if you speed.Although i stick to the 80Km when in it I'm constantly overtaken by cars doing 100km+. It's a fantastic piece of work, should be made more affordable for joe soap to use. God knows the tolls east and west have paid for themselves using a much lower toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh what is with the tunnel closing at night.....on two separate occasions I've driven to the tunnel for no reason other than to drive through it and it's been closed! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I've tried to do that a few times too, fletch, and it's always closed. Pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Is there somewhere you can check online before leaving your house if the tunnel is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Does AA Roadwatch have it? Possible not if it's a regular thing. I've driven through it around 1 or 2 am a couple of times, but I've seen it closed several times too... Maybe it's just luck of the draw?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ciarsd wrote:
    Is it a case of using Joe Soap motorist to keep the cash rolling in at off peak periods?

Bingo. It's pathetic. Joe Soap gave their €6 charge the fingers, so they try and win him back with this. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I do think it is a good move once they keep it to weekends and bank holidays. Once the big bucks come rolling in, it will be easy for them to open it to all traffic just to make a few extra quid, and remove the whole point of the tunnel in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fletch wrote:
    Is there somewhere you can check online before leaving your house if the tunnel is open?

Does nobody else have Google?

http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/Closures/

Most of the electronic signs on the road side also tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

fletch wrote:
    Yeh what is with the tunnel closing at night.....on two separate occasions I've driven to the tunnel for no reason other than to drive through it and it's been closed! :mad:

I've heard that there is issues with the turbines which extract the exhaust gases from the tunnel... They have to close the tunnel to change them out periodically...

Apparently they are having to run the turbines well above specification to keep the CO2 level below a certain amount at the lowest point in the tunnel...

has anyone else heard this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've heard that there is issues with the turbines which extract the exhaust gases from the tunnel... They have to close the tunnel to change them out periodically...

Apparently they are having to run the turbines well above specification to keep the CO2 level below a certain amount at the lowest point in the tunnel...

has anyone else heard this?
    that's not the case at all from what I've been told by a good source

the reason its closed down at night is because its costing them money to have it open at these times...simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Lex Luthor wrote:
    that's not the case at all from what I've been told by a good source

the reason its closed down at night is because its costing them money to have it open at these times...simple as that

Ummmm interesting, based on the above link http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/Closures/ the tunnel is closed for 16 hours per week, can't see it saving that much money by having it closed for that little time... I presume they have a 4 cycle shift of people manning the tunnel which have to be paid either way and all the systems would still be powered up...

They are saying the 16 hours closed are for maintenance.... I am surprised with such a new piece of infrastructure being closed for maintenance right from the time it was opened, on the continent these tunnels operate 24 / 7...
    I also got the info about the tunnel being closed to swap out turbines from a fairly good source...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

How come other Tunnells like the 2 in Liverpool can be open 360 out of 365 days in the year and our tunnell has to close 16 hours per week? Can they get anything right!!! :mad: First it toom them 5 years to build the thing, then it leaks and now they have to close it 16 hours per week to charge the turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, when do you think they can get an engineer to walk the tunnel to check for cracks?

Or for an electrician to change lights?

When do you think they can run a road sweeper through it (no rain to wash away dirt and grit)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement