Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing 5th gear on CG 125 Help please

• 11-07-2007 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI all,
    please help me.
    The poor little brother bought his first bike this week (learner) a CG 125, I went to teach him to drive and found it missing 5th gear?
    Has anyone experienced this or know waht might be wrong.

Don't know if related or not but neutral sits above all the gears as in it down x 4 for 1st-4th gear?

Please help, poor kidmis gutted.

#thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

You sure thats not 2nd to 4th below neutral? Tried clutching and pushing the gear lever up with the toes?
    Normally 1-N-2-3-4-5-(6)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

not familiar with the CG's, but as far as i know they have a different gearbox set up. its not the usual 1 down 4 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've the same issue with my 916, and it turns out I've a bent selector shaft. I have 1 N 2 3, but no 4 5 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

You didn't mention the year but I'm pretty sure the early ones only had 4 gears. I remember driving one in the mid 80's that would have been a few years old at the time and it had 4. Or maybe its a problem inherent in CG's??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I drove one for years and if I remember correctly it only had 4 gears.New ones could be different. It really didn't need a fifth gear considering it would struggle to go above 70 mph anyway,and thats with a tail wind.Cg was my first bike and a great bike it was too. As a courier I fell many times but it didn't get damaged once,not even a bent clutch lever.A workmate wound me up once and said a ticking noise I could hear was the cam chain.I tried to book it in to be fixed only to be told it didn't have one:o I suppose it was the equivilent of the bubble in the spirit level trick. Oh what a laugh they had.
    Sorry for going off topic,I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 glenrichkid

cheers lads, looked around the web and its def 5 speed ('91)

comin off the throttle at 50 or 60 in 4th is like having the back break applied, he'll hurt himself being a learner so its off to the repair shop me thinks

any other help appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

if it's any help to you I have a mint 93 one I got from adverts ere I'm half thinkin of sellin if he was interested!!

think I paid 300 or somethin for it if he was to give me the same back I'd let it on!!

never drove it once cos I got a gsxr a week or so after!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doordie

HI all,
    please help me.
    The poor little brother bought his first bike this week (learner) a CG 125, I went to teach him to drive and found it missing 5th gear?
    Has anyone experienced this or know waht might be wrong.

Don't know if related or not but neutral sits above all the gears as in it down x 4 for 1st-4th gear?

Please help, poor kidmis gutted.

#thanks
    Them CG's only had 4 gears, not 5, so your bike is A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Look at the crank case where the gear shift is, there's usually a graph showing where the gears are and how many there are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

the last CG125 I had was a 2001 model, it had 4 gears, I am 99% certain that yours is the same gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thread is two years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Happy Birthday Thread:D

Advertisement