Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Marketplace ... at last!!!

• 11-07-2007 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Finally Microsoft announce they are binging the Video Marketplace to us in Europe ... Most likely coinciding with the release of the Elite (and the bigger Hard Drive).

>>>>
    Microsoft also used the E3 press conference to reaffirm its commitment to a video download service for Xbox users in Canada and Europe.

"We're launching in UK and Ireland, France and Germany first and then rolling out to other countries as soon as we can," he said. <<<<

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6288756.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Sorry but a big 'meh' from me. It's likely that we'll still end up months behind the US shows, and the restrictions on content are a bit draconian for my liking so I think i'll stick with the 'cousins' for now.

Wonder does the video download service mean you will need a tv licence if you have a 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Dont mean to hijack. But you need a license if you have a TV, any apparatus capable of receiving a signal (Wireless Telegraphy Act). IANAL but presumably this would extend to even LCD TVs with built in tuners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Many people play their 360s on computer monitors, over VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Sorry but a big 'meh' from me. It's likely that we'll still end up months behind the US shows, and the restrictions on content are a bit draconian for my liking so I think i'll stick with the 'cousins' for now.

Wonder does the video download service mean you will need a tv licence if you have a 360?

Ah yes, that's if you're worried about all the new content. There were some oldies that were good on the US service ... classics like "MacGyver" and the like... Could be worth a look if they have similar stuff here.

At any rate it'd probably be cheaper than heading down to XtraVision / Chartbusters, etc.

We'll have to wait and see...

(and yeah, I reckon there'll be some clause in the definition of reception or viewing of TV content - even if it's not 'broadcast' - that would mean you would need a TV Licence).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they release the Fountain, Dreams and Akira in HD like they did across the pond, I will be very excited about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I may be wrong but are we not just getting movies? Also are we getting it tonight? Engadget says that the we are getting Disney films along with America which is been added tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Dman001 wrote:
    I may be wrong but are we not just getting movies? Also are we getting it tonight? Engadget says that the we are getting Disney films along with America which is been added tonight.
    Actully never mind. We are not getting it until Autunm. http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/11/europe-and-canadians-to-get-video-marketplace-in-fall/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Finally they announce it! I didn't even think we were going to get it at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dman001 wrote:

AUGUST 24th!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hi ken :)

• Advertisement

Hello Shane,

Please share your knowledge with us

stev2604 wrote:
    Finally they announce it! I didn't even think we were going to get it at this stage!
    I know ... Finally something I'll definitely be buying MS Points for :)

kensutz wrote:
    Hello Shane,

Please share your knowledge with us

Video marketplace! WOOOOOOOOOP!!!

yeah it's inevitably going to be crap compared to the US version with all the licensing issues.

Fair City in HD ftw!

God no!

Podge and rodge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

kensutz wrote:
    Fair City in HD ftw!

Paisean Faisean in HD TBH.

what about Mary Harney in HD. yummy *not*

kensutz wrote:
    what about Mary Harney in HD. yummy *not*

Think I would need two TVs to fit her on screen.

I want my Bertie Ahern dashboard theme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

TD Gamer pics FTW!

• Advertisement

How much will stuff be on Video Marketplace?
    Coz i wouldnt want to pay too much for Paisean Faisean in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Well if the expect to compete againts movie rental retails i would hope to se ethe movies being cheaper then rental cost.

Only thing that will go againts it here is the caps forced open us by our ISP's With it being 2 gig for HD tv and up to 9gig for movies some of us wont really be able to get too much stuff

From the MS site about the US pricing - hopefully it should be similar here

>>>>
    • High-definition TV shows will be 240 Microsoft® Points per episode, and standard-definition TV shows will be 160 Microsoft Points per episode.
    • New release movies in high definition will be 480 Microsoft Points, and standard-definition new release movies will be 320 Microsoft Points each.
    • Classic feature films in high definition will be 360 Microsoft Points, and standard definition will be 240 Microsoft Points.
    • After purchasing a high-definition TV show or movie, you can download the standard-definition version at no additional charge.
    <<<<

The TV Shows you could watch as often as you like, you effectively own that copy of it (or can download it again later, if you're running out of space and deleted it). It doesn't expire.

New Release movies expire after 15 days (or once you have watched the entire movie).

Classic movies, I think you could keep (like TV shows).

Some shows / studios were slightly different (e.g. you couldn't keep the show), but you would be told before you download the show about that.

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1106-moviestv.htm

480 points? that's 6 euro right?

From the MS site about the US pricing - hopefully it should be similar here

>>>>
    • High-definition TV shows will be 240 Microsoft® Points per episode, and standard-definition TV shows will be 160 Microsoft Points per episode.
    • New release movies in high definition will be 480 Microsoft Points, and standard-definition new release movies will be 320 Microsoft Points each.
    • Classic feature films in high definition will be 360 Microsoft Points, and standard definition will be 240 Microsoft Points.
    • After purchasing a high-definition TV show or movie, you can download the standard-definition version at no additional charge.
    <<<<

The TV Shows you could watch as often as you like, you effectively own that copy of it (or can download it again later, if you're running out of space and deleted it). It doesn't expire.

New Release movies expire after 15 days (or once you have watched the entire movie).

Classic movies, I think you could keep (like TV shows).

Some shows / studios were slightly different (e.g. you couldn't keep the show), but you would be told before you download the show about that.

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1106-moviestv.htm

Thanks fingle that aint bad, I would probably get it for tv shows i tend to go to movies to watch films/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hey great..........but to DL several GBs takes ages and your ISP is going to throttle your connection or rape your wallet for going over your limit!!!!!:rolleyes: So tbh, I don't see the point in having it here!!!!!

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Hey great..........but to DL several GBs takes ages and your ISP is going to throttle your connection or rape your wallet for going over your limit!!!!!:rolleyes: So tbh, I don't see the point in having it here!!!!!

I have uncapped :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Kenny 5 wrote:
    You can get about 1gb an hour on a 3mb line and you can start watching the films before they finish downloading. I didn't think any ISP charges for going over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

but the films run out of time. they are like rentals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

evad_lhorg wrote:
    but the films run out of time. they are like rentals.

Guaranteed to be cracked within a few months I reckon.

Advertisement