Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piers and Electics

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

i am getting piers built this weekend and have a few queries. I am putting lights on the piers so I have run an electric cable for this. I also want to cater for having electric gates so have run a cable for this too. I am not however able to run a telephone cable.

My queries are the following:

Can I get an intercom to open the gates working wirelessly from the house as there is not a telephone cable running down to it?

Should i run the electric cable for the electric gates within the piers or leave it finishing beside the gates?

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lastbuilders

you can get such an intercom, we have used them at gates into large houses etc. However the range is good, the less obstructions the better, what distance are you talking about?

But why can't you run in a control cable with the power cable, i.e if you are running in a power cable for the gate motor, why don't you just bring a 6 core control cable down to the gate at the same time.

I'm not sure I fully understand why you can't do this, but intercoms have nothing to do with phones etc, just in case you thought they did, ignore this if this is not the case.:)
    Maybe you are not getting power all the way from your house?? and are picking it up nearer??

Anyway let us know the distance you are talking about and we can recommend a suitable unit,

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks for the information Stoner,

The scenario I have is that I have 2 power cables coming form the house.
    One on a switch that I am going to use for lights
    One going to the panel I was going to use for power for motor. I could run another cable down but as footpaths are down getting it into the house is the problem which is why I was looking at the wireless option.

The piers are about 20 meters from the house so no problem there. There is a climb to the house but again I think this should be fine.

Lastbuilders

Advertisement