Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Monitor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Once you go widescreen you never go back :)

Any of the two either LG or Samsung are good monitors :)

Don't mind all the hype about different panels!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well that Samsung 226 would have been the obvious choice until Samsung started playing musical chairs with the internal panel of the 226 its now at something like 3 to 4 different panel equipped 226's floating around out there.

In the comments for the Samsung on OcUk most seem happy with it regardless or see little difference between the variants but I suppose it depends on how picky you are about these thing and BeHardware offers some calibrated profiles to correct a few things but it still a bit of a gamble.

The LG seems a decent enough display but not seen any reviews myself.

The Dell 20" sounds like the one to for of the three.

Alternatively the NEC 20WGX2 is a kick ass display (I have one) but more expensive than other 20" displays but it has fantastic image quality and loads to tweaking options but it has a glossy screen also which some like & some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

8T8 I did look at the NEC yesterday funnily enough. It's just the lack of an adjustable height stand put me off them.

I guess I'm just wondering has anyone gone from a 20" 4:3 ratio screen to a 20" widescreen (16:9), and noticed the lack of height as being a big negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I went from a 19" 4:3 to a 22" 16:9 and i dont notice any height loss. The 22" dell fp is a stonking good buy atm. I use it and its great for games and office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

go for the 2407WFP..it's a fantastic monitor and it can be got with a Dimension C521 for about €750 which is cheaper than buying the monitor on it's own from Dell for €880.
    If not the 2007WFP which is the height adjustable one is also a great monitor. The usb at the side and back are very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 little_sheep

according to this test :
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-312-1708-36.html
    and
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-312-2050-35.html

samsung looks better but more expensive. :(

another face to face :
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=206&p1=2050&ma2=36&mo2=170&p2=1708&ph=1

it's in french but using pictures you can see the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I used to have a 19" Samsung LCD which I thought looked good and had a quality image. Then I upgraded to dual Dell 2007WFP's and I was blown away, every time a friend calls around they just sit looking at them with their mouth hanging open. I got a very good deal from a friend who works for Dell so it was no brainer for me but a dual setup might be outside your price range. To be honest if I was going to be limited to just one screen then a 2407 is the way to go. I found the seeming lack of height on a widescreen hard to get used to at first but now I couldnt imagine myself with them!

Anyway here's a pic that doesn't really do them justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Anti wrote:
    I went from a 19" 4:3 to a 22" 16:9 and i dont notice any height loss....

Going from a 19" to 22ws you won't notice much height difference. I'm wondering about going from a 20" normal to a 20" ws...

A 24" isn't a go-er due to space limitations.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Skittle wrote:
    Going from a 19" to 22ws you won't notice much height difference. I'm wondering about going from a 20" normal to a 20" ws...

A 24" isn't a go-er due to space limitations.:(

Yeah to be honest I reckon you definitely would notice the difference going from a normal 20" to ws 20". I did anyway going from a normal 19" to a 20" ws. For me though the extra width made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I would go with the 226BW, I bought one for use at home and even with the whole "A vs S" panel talk (bullplop in my opinion, even the A which I reckon I have is very good) its a great monitor.

In college, where I am right now, I have a 2007WFP and a 1901FP, both dells, setup in dual monitor config. For me, the 2007WFP wins hands down, even though it lacks a bit of height, the extra width feels more natural. I don't buy this stuff about having to look up more in games,etc. and most games support widescreen resolutions natively these days.

226BW, you won't be disappointed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement