Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compo?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hit a pothole on the N2 and busted my wheel. Nearly fell off at speed so I was a bit miffed.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get recompense from the council for such things? I'm as much against ambulance chasers as the next right thinking person, so I wouldn't be looknig for spurious "psychological trauma" or going near a solicitor, but 50 quid for a new wheel doesn't seem unreasonable.
    There are a couple potholes here (near lidl in finglas) that get filled in now and again, so someone appears to have responsibility for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Phone the roads dept of Fingal Co. Co. and they'll fill it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Similar happened to me, busted a Spinergy Rev-X (split the carbon rim from the aluninuim breaking surface) when I hit a huge pot hole. This was in Moira, County Down. I didn't bother claiming as I was able to repair the wheel myself and with a friend who is a carbon expert.

Anyway, as far as I know (and this may not be appliciable in the South), but the council are only liable if they knew about the hole in advance of you hitting it and for a time which would have enabled them to repair it. For example it would have to be established that other people made complaints about the hole over a period of time and nothing had been done. They will try to fob you off but I'd push it as persistence might just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

and very nice they were about it too, which makes me feel better and I can't be bothered hassling them for money. When it gets fixed remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I know councils would routinely pay out the costs of damage to car wheels from potholes, so I guess they should cover bike wheels too.

Advertisement