Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This game any good ?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Have played WoW for the past 6 weeks and finding it very good. But have heard very little of this game.

1. So what is it about ?
    2. What makes this game tick ?
    3. Why should we play it over other online games ?
    4. Is there a free trail run of this game like they have with WoW ?

Just intrested on why people play it and is it fun. If so i might give it a try.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

BadCharlie wrote:
    Have played WoW for the past 6 weeks and finding it very good. But have heard very little of this game.

1. So what is it about ?
    2. What makes this game tick ?
    3. Why should we play it over other online games ?
    4. Is there a free trail run of this game like they have with WoW ?

Just intrested on why people play it and is it fun. If so i might give it a try.
    1) Hobbits and stuff. fiery mount doom, eagles, ohh its the eagles. Boo hiss its the nazgul. Hurray its gandalf. etc etc.
    2) A monthly subscription.
    3) Its a matter of preference.
    4) Nope, although founders and collectors got guest passes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well ive played wow for 3 years,once i got totally bored of it i turned to LOTRO.
    Its very similar to WOW cept it looks way batter.
    On the downside there is no world pvp but you can play monster play which is turbines answer to pvp,similar to wow battlegrounds onlt bigger.
    Overall im enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's UI is almost identical to Wow's and the gameplay is mostly the same. Being made after Wow, it obviously has certain improvements, but because it's reasonably new, it also has a few faults.

The main draw for the game is the Lord of the Rings world it's based in. If you're a fan of the books, you'll love it. If you're a fan of the films, then you'll find some aspects to be different, but still, you'll love it.

In the game, you play out the role of periferal characters who play out quests while the fellowship of the book, head off on their quest to destroy the ring. So if you've read the books, seen the films, played the other games, then it'll fill you in on backstories and incidents that you've seen/read/played. For example:
    in one set of quests, you meet Strider in the Prancing Pony Inn and he gives you a load of quests. Later, you go to meet him, only to find that he's gone with the hobbits, and Gandalf is there after arriving too late to find them.
    Little things like that are pretty cool (well, in my opinion :D ).

Other aspects of it, are, as I said, it's UI being almost identical to Wow, so if you're coming from that (which most people are) you'll feel right at home.

The crafting is pretty similar to Wow, except that you choose a profession that has three set crafting abilities in it. I've not really played around with the crafting, so someone else might be able to tell you about it.

One major criticism that people have had about it is that there is no PvP. Personally, I hate PvP, so I'm quite happy it's not in there, but many others wanted it (even though every one plays good characters, so there's no need for PvP).

The solution that the creators put in place is monster play. When you reach lvl 10, you can go to a scrying pool, which will allow you to create a lvl 50 monster and to play in high level zone. There are quests that you can complete there, but the main reason for it is that high level hero characters can go here and battle against the monsters you create. You gain infamy points (or something like that) for killing heroes and there's a leaderboard thingy, somewhere. Again, I haven't played around too much with this either, so these are the basics that I know of.

Anyway, in summary, I think it's a much better game than Wow. The main story is better, the quests seem to be better put together, I've been told (but it'll be a long time before I get there) that the high level instances are amazing, the graphics are better (but some people really loved the cartoon style of the Warcraft world), I play it (what better reason do you need), and you can kill monsters with music!

Oh, and there aren't as many children and a$$holes playing who just give you grief all the time. I actually find most people are quite friendly ie when you're in trouble somewhere, people always seem to run in and lend a hand, where as, when I was playing Wow, people would just run by, hurl abuse at you, or at one time, join in with the monster to kill me!

Oh, and to answer your last question, there's no real free trial. If you're lucky, you might be able to get a buddy code from someone, but most people will have given there's away by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Game have little 14 trial day packs for €7.99 don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pretty much what humanji said, except one thing: other players. The amount of times that I have gotten a mineral vein stolen while i was killing a mob beside me is driving me mad. Often I had sent a /tell to the other party involved about it, and they seem to see nothing wrong with it. Sure, it was a problem in WoW, but from what I have experienced so far, is on a totally different scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had a pain in the arse last night trying to do one of the chapters in Book 2 where I had to take out the gaunt men... I'd stun the gaunt man and then take out a the mod around him first... But a few times someone would just come along and attack him as I was busy with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pretty much what humanji said, except one thing: other players. The amount of times that I have gotten a mineral vein stolen while i was killing a mob beside me is driving me mad. Often I had sent a /tell to the other party involved about it, and they seem to see nothing wrong with it. Sure, it was a problem in WoW, but from what I have experienced so far, is on a totally different scale.

That hasn't really happened to me lately. It used to happen all the time during the beta, but since most of the jerks up and left once they had to pay for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

There's a 7 day trial available to download from the site www.lotro-europe.com

Advertisement