Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler who likes to hit people

Options
  • 11-07-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I have an eighteen month year old who thinks it's hilarious to hit people. I'm wondering is it best to tell him this is bold or just to ignore it? I suspect he may be like the attention whether it be positive or not.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Tell him it's bold, because it is bold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You do need to correct that behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Every time your child does it put him out of the room and close the door.

It is not something you should let him away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

G&T wrote:
    Every time your child does it put him out of the room and close the door.

It is not something you should let him away with.

Isn't that a little harsh? Plus surely I shouldn't be leaving him in a room by himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't let him watch TV.

Slapstick != comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

silvine wrote:
    Isn't that a little harsh? Plus surely I shouldn't be leaving him in a room by himself?

By excluding him for hitting he will learn not to do it.

He will be too sad when you close the door to get into mischief.
    Only leave him alone for a min.

You have to do something,this worked for me when my lad was biting.

I would then open the door and tell him biting/hitting is bold.

Reward his good behaviour and then he will know what's good and what's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

If you dont want to leave him alone (he is quite young lets face it!) - put him in the corner or on the bold step.

They say one minute for each year of his life so you are talking only a minute and a half. Failing that just a harsh no and ignore him for a minute afterwards. He is very young to understand punishment or time out imho.

Its so hard to correct a baby at that age its heartbreaking and so hard to explain to them at that age but honestly learn from my mistakes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

He is very young to put him out of the room he will sit out there crying wondering why?

My method which is i think more helpful for a chid of his age is pretend to be aPPALLED saying " OH MY LOVELY LITTLE BOY WOULDNT DO THAT!!" "LOOK HE/SHE IS CRYING" etc., then question him in a way while teaching him this is wrong ie. you are not going to do that etc. BE DiSGUSTED!

At this age he is still learning right from wrong. You do need to show how thing as you realize he fully understnds you can proceed as you see appropiate.ie ignoring the naughty boy and having fun with the good boy etc.

Advertisement