Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders

Options
  • 11-07-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I need your help.

I am working in an office on my own and the building is really old hence it has sh*t load of spiders, and I am talking huge motherf*ckers and I am terrifed of them.

Is there anything I can do to deter them from coming in/leave my office?

I hate killing them but just went on a rampage a few mins ago. Three HUGE things were crawling on my desk... They were bigger than my hand... >4"

As I said I am terrified and will only kill them if I am backed into it.. But the fact that I am spending 8hrs a day in this situation my stress levels have gone thru the roof and the job wont do anything about it...

Any tips/ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You can buy insect repellers that plug straight into wall sockets. Something like this I'm sure you could pickup in most hardware stores like 'Homebase' or 'Atlantic Homecare'. They're supposed to repel mice and rats also but I'm not so sure..
    "They were bigger than my hand" Are they really that big? I'd be scared of them myself and I'm not the type to leg it when I see a spider but monster sized ones and I'm out the door!
    I wonder would it be an idea to get a bird or something and let nature take its course.. The Song "I know an old woman who swallowed a fly" comes to mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

this:

http://www.spidercatcher.net/

I have one and it rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

prospect wrote:
    this:

http://www.spidercatcher.net/

I have one and it rocks.

Yea I was thinking of one of those but I need something to deter them from coming into my office in the first place.

Sickboy, I am honeslty not exaggerating.. Fair enough I have the typical small girls hand but the spiders were bigger..much bigger

There are so many different types.

1. The silver skinny ones that have the really long legs and small body.
    2. The small body black hairy ones.
    3. The large body large legs black hairy ones
    4. The orange/brown HUGE HAIRY ones with long body and long legs -> this freaked me out the worst as the speed of those f8ckers

HELP :(

Huge orange spiders :eek: They don't sound like run of the mill indigenous Irish spiders to me. I would stay well away from them if I were you!

SickBoy wrote:
    Huge orange spiders :eek: They don't sound like run of the mill indigenous Irish spiders to me. I would stay well away from them if I were you!

I HATE YOU.:eek:

I just badly freaked out and broke out into a sweat when you said that...

What the feck am I supposed to do, it's my office :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Seriously....bigger than your hand? I don't care how small your hands are, spiders in Ireland don't get that big. Unless you are maybe 6 months old? :)

Compare it to the size of this spider:
    Big Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

ohh giant house spiders do get that big they are the one she is talking about - though mostly its the legs that make them look that big

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

they are harmless though

Noopti wrote:
    Seriously....bigger than your hand? I don't care how small your hands are, spiders in Ireland don't get that big. Unless you are maybe 6 months old? :)

Compare it to the size of this spider:
    Big Spider

I am not exaggerating whatsoever..

and I am waaaaay too freaked out to look at that pic..or the other one... It's bad enough being in here on my own with an infestation of weird immigrant spiders!!

Seriously, anyone got any advice on how to get rid of them?

d-redser wrote:
    I am not exaggerating whatsoever..

and I am waaaaay too freaked out to look at that pic..or the other one... It's bad enough being in here on my own with an infestation of weird immigrant spiders!!

Seriously, anyone got any advice on how to get rid of them?
    Get an insect repeller for a start. See how that works...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

We need a photo of one of these orange/brown spiders.

First things first,

The office needs a good clean out, any old boxes or dusty corners, etc. Clean and vacuum the whole place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stand on them.

I seriously hate spider's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

im a supposedly macho rugger bugger and im scared to death of spiders no matter how small they are.

Mairt wrote:
    Stand on them.

I seriously hate spider's too.

I did. They crunch. I cringe. Won't be doing that again.

Have those plug in thingys. Went to woodies and just back. Every empty socket has one shoved in! Jesus I am seriously stressed out.

I have requested that I meet with the cleaners and I will show them what I want but they are not the greatest and we are not allowed use their property.

The ceilings are around 15ft high, you could easily make two stories out of this office and there are cob webs floating about.

I tried earlier to get a pic on my phone but seriously I have never seen anying scarper faster.. I can get you a pic of the silver and black ones if yous want? Those orange/brown ones, they seem to curl up into a ball and when they get disrupted their legs just spread out and they run. Freaky sh1t..

Just hoping those plug ins work but not looking forward to them creeping out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

silver & black??? That I have to see!

Where abouts in the country are you?

Spiders freak me out but the also facsinate me as well! In fact I am planning what tarantulas I am gonna get & I stroked an 8 legged freaks back the other day! May even go back & HOLD it!!!

Bond-007 wrote:
    silver & black??? That I have to see!

Where abouts in the country are you?

Spiders freak me out but the also facsinate me as well! In fact I am planning what tarantulas I am gonna get & I stroked an 8 legged freaks back the other day! May even go back & HOLD it!!!
    <= :eek:

I'm in Dublin. North City.

I don't think I can last in this office much longer. I am a basket case at this stage.

I'm terrified of spiders too. Where I'm living is pretty old too,and as posted above keeping the place clean and as dust free seems to work really well. Haven't seen any round my place lately and usually we are infested with them this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

When my fiance and I moved into our first rented house we had a spider outside the conservatory. I HATE spiders! Even if I see a tiny one I freak...I literally shiver. The spider on the edge of the coservatory was strange - was black, body about 2 " in length and had a red cross on its back. the male was tiny in comparison. I legged it when I saw it and screamed - my new neighbours probably thought someone was trying to kill me! :( In the end my fella killed it - can't remember with what - either squished it, oven cleaner or air freshner...don't ask! I normally wash them down the drain!
    As for big ones - oh by god do I run...you won't see me for dust!! The insect/mouse repellant things are great... had them at home and there was never any big spiders there...or mice!:D

corkimp wrote:
    When my fiance and I moved into our first rented house we had a spider outside the conservatory. I HATE spiders! Even if I see a tiny one I freak...I literally shiver. The spider on the edge of the coservatory was strange - was black, body about 2 " in length and had a red cross on its back. the male was tiny in comparison. I legged it when I saw it and screamed - my new neighbours probably thought someone was trying to kill me! :( In the end my fella killed it - can't remember with what - either squished it, oven cleaner or air freshner...don't ask! I normally wash them down the drain!
    As for big ones - oh by god do I run...you won't see me for dust!! The insect/mouse repellant things are great... had them at home and there was never any big spiders there...or mice!:D

I hope they work but because this builidng is so old and it's an office too, just hoping they work. I should be finsihing work today at 5.30 but I am leaving now. Can't hack it anymore..

Advertisement