Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Galloway on Derek Davis...

• 11-07-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Anyone who was listening would have heard Gorge Galloway hanging up angrily as he was not happy with the cushy interview Derek Davis gave the Pro-Iraq war guest.

Did you agree?

I know Derek isnt the most competent of interviewer/presenters but i think Galloway was expecting a different type of show tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Galloway is Galloway....Anyone who performed on BB like he did, does not deserve to be taken seriously.

I heard it and frankly am underwhelmed.

Gobshyte is the most benign comment I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt hear it but will check it later, GG is GG as said, the man simply has zero tolerance for someone with a different point of view.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Galloway is Galloway....Anyone who performed on BB like he did, does not deserve to be taken seriously.

There's some truth in that (in fact I'd go one further and say that anyone who goes on BB does not deserve to be taken seriously) but on the flipside anyone who is anti-Iraq war DOES deserve to be taken seriously, and that's "real life" - how someone reacts in that context is a far better measure of them than any stupid antics on an irrelevant and brain-dead TV show.

Rather than castigating the easy target, maybe we should look into whether Derek Davis was doing his job properly ? I'll have a listen later and if so, GG was being stupid, but if not he was probably right to hang up; no point in having a discussion about a serious topic if the supposedly neutral presenter is showing a bias.....

Like I said, I'll try and have a listen later (although I *think* RTE still insists on using RealPlayer, which might rule me out as I don't like/use it).

The discussion on Iraq starts after about 5 mins, if you simply want to hear "Gorgeous Georgeous" navigate your way to 17 mins and stand back.

Once again the idiot Galloway shows himself to be totally hostile to anyone
    who takes a different point of view. "Remember you're Irish!" he commands Derek Davis (interesting comment when you think about it). DD was perfectly honest and fair but Galloway bullied and harranged and put the phone down when he was spoken back to.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Bumped into George at boarding area of Belfast international about four saturdays ago. Joked with him about Hitchens but he was rushing for a flight and so was i .was half pisssed for my flight to Krakow so he probably wanted to get away from me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote:
    Did'nt hear it but will check it later, GG is GG as said, the man simply has zero tolerance for someone with a different point of view.

Mike.

wasthe other guy defending coloialnism and imperialism?

mike65 wrote:
    Once again the idiot Galloway shows himself to be totally hostile to anyone who takes a different point of view.

Just as well he doesn't make decisions about who invades who, then.....imagine if there was someone like that in charge of large armies and weapons........:rolleyes: :innocent:

As for the "Remember you're Irish" jibe - doesn't he know that being Irish means ignoring/pretending that you don't have an opinion on/passively supporting the Iraq war and all its lies and illegal activities ?

At least, that's what Bertie would have us believe.....

I'm approaching this topic not politically but in terms of a persons conduct on a public forum. Good manners cost Galloway nothing. He had the chance to speak at length but he prefered to do his usual 'I'm outraged...blah blah blah' shtick. I wonder after an "interview" does he kick the cat or allow himself a little smile as "he socks it to 'em again".

Mike.

Appreciate that Mike - a lot of worthwhile messages get lost because of the manner in which or the person who expresses them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Liam Byrne wrote:
    There's some truth in that (in fact I'd go one further and say that anyone who goes on BB does not deserve to be taken seriously) but on the flipside anyone who is anti-Iraq war DOES deserve to be taken seriously, and that's "real life" - how someone reacts in that context is a far better measure of them than any stupid antics on an irrelevant and brain-dead TV show.

Rather than castigating the easy target, maybe we should look into whether Derek Davis was doing his job properly ? I'll have a listen later and if so, GG was being stupid, but if not he was probably right to hang up; no point in having a discussion about a serious topic if the supposedly neutral presenter is showing a bias.....

Like I said, I'll try and have a listen later (although I *think* RTE still insists on using RealPlayer, which might rule me out as I don't like/use it).

there was no bias being shown by derek davis and the other speaker was in now way appologetic of imperialism , he was completely resonable in how he spoke about the current situation in iraq , he was right in saying that if rumsfeld had been told where to go and the generals listend to , iraq could have worked , invading with half the men needed resulted in the borders not being secured and foreign fighters hell bent on stirring up sectarian hatred pouring in and allowed to run riot, theese are all sensible points regardless of where you stand on the war
    i for one do not think they should have invaded but i do not believe that we should give creedance to a gargantuan charlatan like george galloway
    galloway will take the side even of crazed islamic nutjobs purely because his constituency is over whelmingly muslim , the guys a shameless self promoter and media whore who,s only priority is raising his own profile
    have you ever listend to his radio show on talk sport , its nothing but a 3 hour long ego massage for galloway by his mostly fawning listnership , hes one to talk about derek davis giving cushy interviews , galloway cuts off anyone who doesnt share his narrow world view
    thee other week he made the absurd statement that everyone should be screened going through airports when a caller make the point that it is common sense for muslims to be scrutinised more heavily than 80 yr old white women when going through security at this point in time
    galloway retorted to the caller that to do other wise would be racist
    well boo hoo , big deal , who do you think most people would agree with , the politically correct gone mad galloway or the caller

guys a charlatan of epic proportions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

mike65 wrote:
    Once again the idiot Galloway shows himself to be totally hostile to anyone who takes a different point of view. "Remember you're Irish!" he commands Derek Davis (interesting comment when you think about it). DD was perfectly honest and fair but Galloway bullied and harranged and put the phone down when he was spoken back to.

Davis was not at all fair, he was in almost complete agreement with the first interviewee, and he immediately interrupted GG with reference to Saddam being a despot, as if to say 'but George, how could anyone let that despot continue to rule'. I don't think GG should have quit the interview, but to pretend DD was being fair or would have conducted the same interview he gave the first guy is absurd.

Advertisement