Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staging a protest about this Dublin dog ban

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

It really is stupid and asking for trouble allowing these dogs to live in apartment blocks, the council made the right decision!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

kkposse wrote:
    It really is stupid and asking for trouble allowing these dogs to live in apartment blocks, the council made the right decision!!

The ban is for houses as well, unless you own the property.

These are the breeds, but its not just pure breds its cross breds too. People are being asked to dispose of their family pet they may have had for years. And while i might be glad to see some scumbags being parted with their extensions of manhood, half these people may live with their parents who own their house or be in private rented accomodation. SO really its not solving the problem.

The breeds are: English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Doberman, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Japanese Akita, Bull Mastiff, Japanese Tosa and Bandog. Cross-breeds of these dogs or crosses of these dogs with any other breed are also banned

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

@Hagar, apologies so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wait wait wait,what the hell? Dont live in dublin but this seems proposturous. Just goes to show you everything goes fine and the second theres one attack in the media people get the worst idea.

What are the 11 breeds in question does anyone know?

I think this is a joke, most big dogs can be the nicest ones going, my boxer in 8 years has never once bitten one person, nor attempted to (unless you count one punctured bike tire) . I know rotwierlers dobermand and german shepards can be great dogs and although they are all capable of doing damage i think there safe out most of em. I mean things like cars can do damage they kill loads of people a year but you dont see people putting in a car ban do you?

Big dogs can look menacing to some people and could intimidate people but ffs, spiders scare the bejesus out of other people and heights, if your afraid of dogs stop complaining that they should be locked up, you dont bitch that there are too many spiders do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Patricide wrote:
    Wait wait wait,what the hell? Dont live in dublin but this seems proposturous. Just goes to show you everything goes fine and the second theres one attack in the media people get the worst idea.

What are the 11 breeds in question does anyone know?

I think this is a joke, most big dogs can be the nicest ones going, my boxer in 8 years has never once bitten one person, nor attempted to (unless you count one punctured bike tire) . I know rotwierlers dobermand and german shepards can be great dogs and although they are all capable of doing damage i think there safe out most of em. I mean things like cars can do damage they kill loads of people a year but you dont see people putting in a car ban do you?

Big dogs can look menacing to some people and could intimidate people but ffs, spiders scare the bejesus out of other people and heights, if your afraid of dogs stop complaining that they should be locked up, you dont bitch that there are too many spiders do you.

I posted the breeds above, i didnt know anythng about it either til i saw this thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Patricide wrote:
    Wait wait wait,what the hell? Dont live in dublin

You don't have to live in Dublin as DCC has asked government that this ban be extended nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

I think that dog owners and people in opposition of this violation of our rights, from Dublin and its surrounding areas, need to stage some sort or protest in the city.

There is a peaceful demo being held today (July 13th ) outside the DCC offices on Wood Quay at 2pm, which has been organised by Dog Training Ireland, with the support of various organisations such as ANVIL, ISPCA, DSPCA & The Kennel Club. More on that here. There is also a petition that you can sign here.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Groups like ANVIL are protesting the ban. And yes they are trying to make it national. But if they want to lose votes, and probably alot of protests, they are going the right way about it! I'm living in WAterford and have a GSD pup. My sister in Cork has a GSD dog. When I was 12, we had a GSD female. My neighbours labrador female was more vicious - she wold lunge at us when we walked her. Their dog was never leash trained, not fenced in or controllable. Do /I hate labs for attacking my GSD? No - it was the owners who refused to train her who was at fault. My dog only went for the Lab when forced to do so - to protect me. Yet my dog was hit with a stick to break it up - she was seen more dangerous. Not fair but I pitied their dog more - not looked after near the end of her life and left to suffer cos they didn't want to put her to sleep.
    There is another thread dedicated to this topic on animals and pets issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Trinity1 wrote:
    I posted the breeds above, i didnt know anythng about it either til i saw this thread!!
    my bad, was too pissed off to read some of the thread.

What a joke. WHAT A JOKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's not fair to punish the masses to get at the few scumbags. How long will it be before they decide to add more dogs to that list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thrill wrote:
    It's not fair to punish the masses to get at the few scumbags. How long will it be before they decide to add more dogs to that list?
    Remember that this only applies to council tenants having dogs living in their homes. Nothing more. No dogs have been banned in Dublin, it's not banned to walk your dog, it's not banned to keep or rear these breeds in private homes in the Dublin City area.

What this is, is an attempt to avoid the issue of non-enforcement of the existing laws. DCC think that by disallowing people from having certain breeds of animals, that the problem will go away. The facts of the matter are:
    a. DCC or the Gardai cannot enter anyone's dwelling to remove the dog under these rules.
    b. DCC or the Gardai cannot confiscate anyone's animal from anywhere (i.e. they can't stop them in the street) under these rules
    c. DCC can only evict people who break the rules.
    d. The people who keep these animals in such a way that they are dangerous to others, are the people who will ignore the rules. It's only the law-abiding people who'll comply.

If the Gardai had the resources to police this issue, and just confiscate the animals, regardless of where they lived, then DCC wouldn't have to waste their time attempting things like this.

It will fail, and it's futile to protest against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

About time, the amount of skangers walking around with these has went through the roof over the last few months. Didnt they bring in laws in England against them lately? Id imagine the increase here is from the English dogs being offed here cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

seamus wrote:
    Remember that this only applies to council tenants having dogs living in their homes. Nothing more. No dogs have been banned in Dublin, it's not banned to walk your dog, it's not banned to keep or rear these breeds in private homes in the Dublin City area.

I thought they were planning on also baning the from Council owned property such as parks etc. And according to the Times last Sunday there will be enforcement team, backed up the gardai, enforcing this if after notcies etc. people still aren't complying.

Shane, why not just ban scangers, they're the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

shane86 wrote:
    About time, the amount of skangers walking around with these has went through the roof over the last few months. Didnt they bring in laws in England against them lately? Id imagine the increase here is from the English dogs being offed here cheap.

I moved over to London a while ago and it very noticable, the amount of chavs you see walking around with one or two small muscular dogs (like pitbulls or staffordshire bull terriers, not sure, I'm no expert). I see it as the equivalent of walking around with a broken bottle or a knife, as it's obvious they only keep these dogs to intimidate people. I read on an english forum, that apparently, these dogs are actually various kinds of crossbreeds so that you'd have to be an expert to know which ones are or are not banned, and so, police can't enforce the laws or tell the difference themselves.

I love those pics on the GSD thread, really makes me want one of my own. A friend of mine was recently telling me that GSDs are being used less for security and police work because they're no longer as aggressive as they once were, and are more suited as a family pet now. Anyone know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jip wrote:
    And according to the Times last Sunday there will be enforcement team, backed up the gardai, enforcing this if after notcies etc. people still aren't complying.
    Without knowing a whole pile about DCC's specific powers in the area, I would suspect that this "enforcement team" will consist of DCC knocking on doors, asking "Can I come in?" being told to F-off and that's it. Although if they spot an animal, the Gardai may ask to see the licence, and then issue fines when one isn't produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

Thank You to Everyone. Next Demo will be a park area and on the weekend so we want hundreds of you to attend. Are ye on?

The following organisations attended. Please add yourself to the list if I have not included:

DTI
    ANVIL Ireland
    CALL
    Dogs Trust
    AFAR

Ashton Pound dog wardens were there but they only watched from a white van and did not participate. Gardai were there and the whole protest was covered on Mooney live so you can download that. Actually they commented as to how peaceful the demo was. No megaphones, no shouting just a peaceful gathering of lovely people and some really lovely dogs.

Check out the papers tomorrow. Specifically Indo and Times.

We made the following radio stations:

RTE1 (various programmes)
    2FM Gerry Ryan
    Newstalk
    LMFM
    BBC

And on TV
    TV3
    RTE1 (although I didn't see it)

Thanks again to everyone for their support!

Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

shane86 wrote:

So do something about the Skanger's, don't kill the dog's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

See this thread for more details

Lots of press coverage including TV3, RTE Radio, BBC. lots of newspaper coverage yesterday and today.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055118055&page=9

We are working on the next step. This cannot be allowed to be implemented nationwide.

Would help if you could check with your local county council regarding dogs listed on the restricted breeds list (please don't refer to these dogs as "banned" or "dangerous breeds")

Thanks,

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

This is completly ridiculous to ban one type of dog but not another

It is a fact that the owner is to blame for an unruly dog and NOTthe dog
    Prosecute owners not dogs? does that not make sense??:confused:

Using an animal in a threatening manner?
    is there a law on the books like this? if so, it should be strictly enforced

A well trained and cared for pit bull is less dangerous than a badly taken care of labrador for instance.

Also where does living in an apartment come into it?
    Most cities around the world people live in apartments and there is still huge dog populations.
    Dog owners have to get off their asses and walk their dogs every day
    which is actually better for the dog than just letting it run around a garden

Can any reasonable person disagree with any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dog destroy team arrive at normal families house. The family is distraught, their pet of eight years is going to get an injection, and die. They let the vet do the job, the kids are crying, the family will probably never get a dog again. Kids will never forget the death of a pet, its a sort of passage of life. However, the killing of the pet by the government for no reason other than a similar dog in very very different circumstances attacked another kid will affect a kid more than the dog dying of old age.

This dog wasn't going to kill anyone.

Dog destroy team arrive at heroine dealers house. They aren't let in to the house, they are threatened cursed at, spat at and told if they call again they will get their windpipe stabbed with a syringe. They call again with four gardai and of course the dog isn't there. The gardai wont have the manpower to call every week. The dog is hidden, out of sight for a while where it gets irritable, and isn't exposed to normal life, its paraded out every now and then for show, heaving on the lead, frothing at the mouth. Its overloaded with new smells, sounds, kids screaming, cars, trucks... A neighbour spots the dog and calls the gardai. The gards arrive four hours later and the dog is locked in a mates garden for a couple of days with no shelter. The scumbags basically hide the dog, its locked up for a couple of months and is taken out every now and then to intimidate.

This is the dog that will kill if it gets loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Kumaraband

****in knacker scrouts ruining it for everybody, fair enough i have a cocker spanial but there are no such things as bad dogs only bad owners, thats purly being over looked, so i say this, start a petition to have the scrouts put down, friend of mine has an american pit bull things as soft as jelly man, its heartbreakin stuff because personally i love my dog more than the the band **** more than me family couldnt imagine him being took away,,,, i reckon the should assess the dogs formailtys and personality before action is carried out, typical man only in ireland,

Advertisement