Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan - Phoenix Park

Options
  • 11-07-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have just been offered a new job (YAY :D ) and I am wondering what is the best way to get to the Phoenix park from Balbriggan by car...and how long would it take during rush hour?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats on the new job:)

I don't think the commute will be pleasant though...

I would head in to town and by the quays to the phoenix park,or you could go via the m50 to castleknock.

When there is no traffic going the m50 way it takes about 20/25 minutes to Chapelizod I think it is 35km.

I think during rush hour your talking at least 90 minutes.

Check aaroadwatch.ie route planner

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's no need to go down the quays if you go through town...
    Head down Dorset Street from Drumcondra, across the North Circular Road (no right turn at that junction), take next right & right again to come back onto the NCR.
    Turn left towards Phibsboro & then straight down NCR to the Park (Infirmary Road entrance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

M1 - M50 - N3 - Castleknock - Phoenix Park...avoid city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Moonbeam wrote:
    Congrats on the new jobsmile.gif

:D Thanks!!

and thanks for all the suggestions..

I think the M50 is a no go, although it would be a direct route to take.. I used to pass over it while heading to work before the tunnel opened and it was always bumper to bumper.. Now with the trucks I'd say it would be alot worse..

I think NCR would be the best route to go but I am dreading drumcondra & dorset street like the plague!

Anyone know what the NCR would be like traffice wise, heading towards the Park?

Just had an idea...

What if I head towards finglas from ballymun, then through dunsink which will leave me somewhere on the navan road... ??? Not too sure of those roads though.. Will check aa route planner now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Head through the Naul and cut across to the N2 at Coolquay. Turn right at the Ward and head through Blanchardstown. It's about 40 minutes from Balbriggan to Blanchardstown that way regardless of what time you go at.

blastman wrote:
    Head through the Naul and cut across to the N2 at Coolquay. Turn right at the Ward and head through Blanchardstown. It's about 40 minutes from Balbriggan to Blanchardstown that way regardless of what time you go at.

Blastman, that sounds pretty cool but I am completely lost :confused:

I don't know the Naul at all..

From the M1/Naul roundabout I head straight through?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thats is the way I go from Hollystown to Balbriggan.

The problem there is on the other side,N3(Derry road) to Castleknock, traffic will be chaotic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

d-redser wrote:
    Blastman, that sounds pretty cool but I am completely lost :confused:

I don't know the Naul at all..

From the M1/Naul roundabout I head straight through?

Here is what I do to get to Blanch when I work nights, no idea what It would be like in the mornings.

Leave Balbriggan by the Naul road, straight on to Naul over M1. In Naul village you hit a misshapen T-junction, go right and then 1st left (no more than 200metres after the right you just took).

Follow this road straight for a few miles until you see a sign for Garristown on a right turn, go right.

Straight on into Garristown and right again when you hit the T-junction in the village, left almost straight away again at the graveyard.

Keep on straight on this road and you will hit the N2.

Take the turn off the N2 or Rathoath. Same again in the village there t-junction right and immediate left, on through fairyhouse and you're on the N3.

Bit of a mad way, but it works.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

or the naul,oldtown N3.

Sounds alot shorter.

• Advertisement

Here is what I do to get to Blanch when I work nights, no idea what It would be like in the mornings.

Leave Balbriggan by the Naul road, straight on to Naul over M1. In Naul village you hit a misshapen T-junction, go right and then 1st left (no more than 200metres after the right you just took).

Follow this road straight for a few miles until you see a sign for Garristown on a right turn, go right.

Straight on into Garristown and right again when you hit the T-junction in the village, left almost straight away again at the graveyard.

Take the turn off the N2 or Rathoath. Same again in the village there t-junction right and immediate left, on through fairyhouse and you're on the N3.

I will have to try it out for a couple of mornings before I start!!

I prefer back roads anyway so hopefully it will work out.

How long does this take you each time??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

d-redser wrote:
    I will have to try it out for a couple of mornings before I start!!

I prefer back roads anyway so hopefully it will work out.

How long does this take you each time??

About 40-45 minutes

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

d-redser wrote:
    Just had an idea...

What if I head towards finglas from ballymun, then through dunsink which will leave me somewhere on the navan road... ??? Not too sure of those roads though.. Will check aa route planner now..
    I'd go that way myself, rond the back of the airport, down finglas bypass, up onto the bridge by the fire station, right on the bridge, follow the road right the way, take a right at the t juntion, left at the next one, right onto river road, left through ash town bingo your at the roundabout at the halfway house, straight over to the park

Dunsink is closed off now go past it and use river road

Fyr.Fytr wrote:
    I'd go that way myself, rond the back of the airport, down finglas bypass, up onto the bridge by the fire station, right on the bridge, follow the road right the way, take a right at the t juntion, left at the next one, right onto river road, left through ash town bingo your at the roundabout at the halfway house, straight over to the park

Dunsink is closed off now go past it and use river road

Yea I think that is the best way to go myself..

I will have to do a few runs in rush hour traffic to see which is the best way to go but I would prefer that one.

My mam lives over in that general direction so I can stop off for brekkie ;) then head back to bed on my week's break!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I've been travelling that way myself the last few days heading over to crumlin (through the park, chapelizod, kylemore road and bingo)

I leave about quarter past 7 and get to crumlin about quarter to 9 so its grand like. The only hassel is past the park other then that is fly over.

I'd say if i left later as you know traffic builds up every minute so I cant tell you what time to leave.

Also its handy to pop into tesco for cheap petrol ;)

Just took a test drive through the Naul and I got completley lost:eek: . I will print this off and give it another go tomorrow morning...

When you say above to take a right at the misshappen T junction I took a left which left me in Ballyboughill... totally the wrong way to go isn't it??

Advertisement