Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park 5 mile this weekend

• 11-07-2007 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing the 5 miler in the P Park this weekend. It is part of the Dublin marathon series.

Anyone have any thoughts on the course and what we should expect?

also I am 90% certain I am going to give the marathon a go in October. This would be my first one.

If I was going for a (just)sub 4 hour marathon in October, what time should I be looking at on Sunday in the 5 miler?

I ran a 10k two months ago in park at just shy of 52 mins, but felt could have went at least a minute quicker.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Myself and the Wife are doing the 5 miler on saturday. Its a shortened version of the BUPA Ireland run course with the more difficult part taken out.

Sadly I have shin plints at the moment so i cant train but Ill get round anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ohyeah wrote:

If I was going for a (just)sub 4 hour marathon in October, what time should I be looking at on Sunday in the 5 miler?

I ran a 10k two months ago in park at just shy of 52 mins, but felt could have went at least a minute quicker.

According to McMillan you're pretty much on schedule for sub-4 based on that 10k. Sub-4 marathon "equates" to at 40:48 5 mile race, but there's a world of difference between the two, so it should be taken with a massive pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

My husband and I are also running the 5 miler this weekend. Do you know if timing chips are posted or collected in Castleknock College on Saturday morning? Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I got an email from them at the weekend and it seems that the numbers, timing chips and goody bags all have to be collected from Castleknock College on the day, they are not posting anything out to us.

Ok, thanks. Guess we'll need to give ourselves plenty of time to get numbers etc and be ready to start for 10am. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just remembered that the email said something about printing it out and taking a signed copy of it along with you in order to pick up your number etc.

Good to know - thanks robinph. Wonder why I didn't get that mail? Anyway, I have my original booking info from Active Europe so should be sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

im doing my first ever road race on saturday..so go easy on me!! i play a good bit of sport anyways, just never really got into the running. hoping to break the 35mins anyways, but my goal is to start the race and not stop til its over :)

just a quicky, can anyone give me estimation on walking distance from castleknock railway station to castleknock college? just im arriving at station @9.22, presume il have plenty of time to make it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's about 35 mins walk from the train station. You won't be leaving yourself enough time considering you'll need time to register and walk from the college to the race start.

35mins :eek: is there a bus or taxi rank there at the station i could grab??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Hi all,

Enjoyed that run today. Was struggling with my weight and fitness earlier in the year but I've had 4 weeks injury free and put some hard effort in. So I was determined to set a PB today. Did it in 45:54. It won't set the world on fire but I beat my goal :D.

As an aside, it was very well organised this year and I like the new t-shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

Yeah the t-shirts are really nice! Just having a look at the 10 mile course...we've to do the hills twice!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Anyone know when the official results will be up or do the appear in the Irish Runner first?

Results up on the marathon website...let me know if your time is 8 seconds longer than expected!

The official timing added nearly 40 seconds to the time I took on my watch. The timing pad at the start was probably not even plugged in.

It looks like they have classed everyone as being Irish as well, not that I can remember their being a nationality option on the entry form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On my results, I have "time" and "real time" with the "real time" being 50 seconds less.

Stark wrote:
    On my results, I have "time" and "real time" with the "real time" being 50 seconds less.
    Now why didn't I notice that the first time I looked at it, too many beers tonight and too knackered now probably. The real time is only 7 seconds off what I clocked, so not too bad actually I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

robinph wrote:
    The official timing added nearly 40 seconds to the time I took on my watch. The timing pad at the start was probably not even plugged in.
    You mustn't have seen/heard the petrol generator that was on the left side of the road, about 20 feet back from the antenna that was beside the pad.

The t-shirts are nice.

Confusing interface for the online results. Go to the specified URL the click the 'Time' icon and then click the unobvious button on the left ("Classificia on line"). The site layout is not Irish Runner's fault.
    It would have been better to give a link to the English version of the site. Then the unobvious button says "Ranking on Line". And 10 results per page .. :rolleyes:

what is the difference between real time and time?is that from time you crossed the line or something?theres a minute and 7 seconds between mine!!! i done it in 42mins 18 "time" and 41;11 real time.....happy enough. glad to run and not stop which was my goal!!

my husbands time has been adjusted by 7 seconds (down) this morning so am hoping they do the same down the field during the morning. I timed myself as being 7 seconds faster than they have me.
    real time is what it took you from the moment you crossed the start line to the finish line. time is from the moment the gun went off...so you must have crossed the start line 7 seconds after the leaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

The t-shirts are huge and I got a size small! Other than that they're not bad. Enjoyed the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Enjoyed it also, savage weather too which was a nice surprise.
    Tshirts appear to be huge but material on them is welcome over usual cotton.

42 and a 1/2 mins for myself so happy enough, roughly 3:30 standard which adjusted with more training should keep me on course for the sub 4hr marathon in Oct.
    Had no real goal as such, under 45mins was fine for now.
    Looking forward to the 10 and 1/2 marathon.

is there any other well organised 10 milers around the same time....think im going to a concert the day of the 10 miler....

BHAA Dublin Bus 10 miler is on in Rathcoole on the 8th of September. I've never run it tho but BHAA races are generally very well organised!

Advertisement