Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox live newbie questions

• 11-07-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

Have looked back through the forum but need some info. on the following:

1. Xbox live: Which version is needed to allow downloading of the games i.e.
    castlevania, pop and is there a way of getting a cheap sub (I've heard mention of the US)

2. How many points do the games roughly cost and where is the best place to buy the points?

3. Is it necessary to have live sub to play xbox games?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hey sweetie!
    Welcome to the board
    sweetie wrote:
    1. Xbox live: Which version is needed to allow downloading of the games i.e.
    castlevania, pop and is there a way of getting a cheap sub (I've heard mention of the US)

You don't need any paying sub to download games, as long as you're online, you can download. Silver account is fine for that so you don't need to pay anything.
    2. How many points do the games roughly cost and where is the best place to buy the points?

Games like Castlevania, Alien Hominid, Doom, are 800 points. Some are less. You can buy a points card online or in shops, or you can buy them direct (with credit card). If you buy direct the price is €12 for 1000 points.
    3. Is it necessary to have live sub to play xbox games?

If you want to go online and play multiplayer against people, then yes you'll need a Live Gold sub. If you don't want to play online against other people (so you just want to play the game normally, single player, or co-op on one screen or whatever) then no you don't need any sub.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

koneko wrote:
    Hey sweetie!
    Welcome to the board

You don't need any paying sub to download games, as long as you're online, you can download. Silver account is fine for that so you don't need to pay anything.

Games like Castlevania, Alien Hominid, Doom, are 800 points. Some are less. You can buy a points card online or in shops, or you can buy them direct (with credit card). If you buy direct the price is €12 for 1000 points.

If you want to go online and play multiplayer against people, then yes you'll need a Live Gold sub. If you don't want to play online against other people (so you just want to play the game normally, single player, or co-op on one screen or whatever) then no you don't need any sub.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for that.

So where can I buy points direct from?

So I can just go online and download whatever I need to play the old xbox games that are compatible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

sweetie wrote:
    So where can I buy points direct from?

If you want to buy the card, in shops (or online shops) I guess, but if you buy it direct you put your credit card details in and you can buy the points through Xbox Live (so your CC details are on your account).
    So I can just go online and download whatever I need to play the old xbox games that are compatible?

Yes, if your 360 is online, then it'll automatically get the update if you put an old Xbox game in (as long as it's compatible). It'll do that for you so that's very easy, and that doesn't require a subscription either, you just need to be connected to the internet so it can download the update. Oh and just to add quickly, you have to have a harddrive for that (so either an Xbox 360 Premium or a Core with the harddrive bought seperately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Anyone suggest a place to buy a cheap, first time, Live Gold subscription?

Play-asia sell US 12+1 month subscription cards for €30 but should I get a European one in case Microsoft start locking 'outside' accounts.

Advertisement