Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Netopia Router: worth upgrading

Options
  • 11-07-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it would be worth while upgrading the modem that you get with Eircom to a top of the line DSL Router? Whould it have any impact on performace? Mine is about 2 years old.

Edit: Not for wireless performance, I'm sure other routers are better for that. Just a bog standard Ethernet connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You mind for alternate firmware available for your model online which could add more features.

I'd recommend you use another router if you want to set up an account with DynDNS or to have a DMZ on your LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

What would be the best one to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I know it's not quite relevant, but eircom's 3347 netopia router beats the hell out of the oft-lauded Linksys WRT54G for wireless coverage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it ain't broke don't fix it!:) Why would you want to upgrade? Particularly if wireless is not an issue what would you be looking for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've found the eircom routers terrible when it comes to configuring Bit torrent and VPN software....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I know it's not quite relevant, but eircom's 3347 netopia router beats the hell out of the oft-lauded Linksys WRT54G for wireless coverage.
    Load the DD-WRT firmware and crank up the ERP of the radio! Yes, I know -- this means more heat and possibly a shorted lifespan.

I'd recommend the Netgear DG834GT or the Netgear DG834PN. The later has seven antennae for wifi. That should improve coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I would agree about the 3347 being good. A few weeks ago eircom sent us a newer 2247 by accident after we upgraded our broadband package. Seeing as the 2247 has two aerials and is newer I thought it's wifi coverage would be better but i did lots of tests comparing the two and the older 3347 won every time, the 2247 also had much worse sn margin (went down to 8 from 28!)
    So i've stuck with the 3347.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ethernet wrote:
    Load the DD-WRT firmware and crank up the ERP of the radio! Yes, I know -- this means more heat and possibly a shorted lifespan.

I'd recommend the Netgear DG834GT or the Netgear DG834PN. The later has seven antennae for wifi. That should improve coverage.
    No good if you have version 6 firmware or suchlike. It uses a totally different chipset.

Advertisement