Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared ownership vs buying with a friend

Options
  • 11-07-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi - looking for some advice, I was thinking of either applying to dublin docklands authority for shared ownership scheme, or buying with a friend who i have lived with for the past 6 years, renting.

We can afford a pretty nice place if we pool our resources (house vs apartment), but we would need to be sure of legal implications

I know there are drawbacks in both situations!

Anyone have any advice / experience in either situation

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I'd go for the house with the friend, as long as it somewhere you would like to live long term. Be sure and get legal advice and agree how the arrangement can/will end. i.e. one can buy the other out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 katems

thanks - we are going to try and sort out all the scenarios - a lot could happen!
    Probably if one needs to sell and the other is not in a position to buy out would need to put the house on the open market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Yep, that'd be one way. Just make sure it's all agreeded up front and everyones happy with the arrangement.

Advertisement