Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer problem?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Maybe I am just being paraniod but put a deposit on a car 3 weeks ago tomorrow from a dealer. No NCT on the car and dealer said it would take 2 weeks to get NCT'd. I say s thats kool and the gang. Ring the dealer on friday and the car failed the nct on lights. He says he'll have it ready for collection monday.

Ring monday and wont be ready till tuesday(see where this is going:rolleyes: ) Ring tuesday and am told it wont be ready till end of the week?

My thoughts are the car failed more then the lights i.e emmissions maybe and he's having a hard time fixin prob(thats the paranoia part)

Could it be that he is being genuine i fully accept that my car is not the only one being sold?

and if car is not ready by weekend do i have a right to demand my deposit back and am i likely to get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Can you not ask to see the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

To be honest the dealer is not exactly close by but either way i will be there on friday even if i have to take out my raleigh bananna!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ask to see the NCT form so you can see how close it's emissions etc are to the limits...

steve06 ask to see the NCT form so you can see how close it's emissions etc are to the limits...

But even if it is close or has failed do i have an option of getting my money back......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

tell them you want it fixed, or if it's close tell them it looks like it wont last long and to replace it...

• Advertisement

Sorry but not very good with cars what exactly would i want replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm completely baffled why you'd put on a deposit on a car with no NCT?

Its an easy thing to get, so if a car a dealer is selling you have to ask why.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BostonB wrote:
    a car with no NCT?

Its an easy thing to get, so if a car a dealer is selling you have to ask why.

Agreed. The NCT is only valid until 2 years from the date it was due originally, so there is no benefit whatsoever to postpone doing it

Could just be laziness from the side of the dealer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most dealers generally send the car through the NCT if due when someone buys the car. It usually can be a condition of the sale.

If the car is not due it's NCT for a few months or so then as a condition of the warranty the dealer may guarantee to sort any failures when the new owner puts it through the test. Probably up to the buyer to negociate this condition into the sale agreement though.

Rule of thumb here is to get this guarantee in writing from the dealer. Verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on.

Did the OP get any written guarantee from the dealer that one of the terms of the sale agreement is that the car will be bought pending a successful NCT test?

well luckily i did it's written that car is to be nct'd for buyer....but how long is a reasonable lenght of time to wait before kickin up a fuss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

bazz26 wrote:
    Most dealers generally send the car through the NCT if due when someone buys the car. It usually can be a condition of the sale.

I think it's also a case of the dealer not prepared to put any money into the car until he is (almost) guaranteed a sale. No point in spending money on a yoke that might have to be moved off after a few months at a loss....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

racso1975 wrote:
    well luckily i did it's written that car is to be nct'd for buyer....but how long is a reasonable lenght of time to wait before kickin up a fuss?

To be honest I would ring them again and ask them what the hold up is? It could possibly be a genuine problem like trying to get another appointment with the NCT centre or it could be that they are simply tragging their feet.

Tell them that you need the car asap or else you will be forced to look elsewhere and want your deposit back.

Advertisement