Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference between 1.4 and 2lt twin cam

Options
  • 11-07-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Realistically, how much difference in acceleration & speed is there betwen a 1.4 litre engine and a 2 litre twin cam engine???? Would I notice a big difference if I changed to a car with a 1.4 engine????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

are you joking?

sorry if i seem bad or anything but of course you would notice a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

about the same difference there is between a bag of salt and a bag of sugar, totally different beasts. Having said that some smaller engines can "punch above their weight" with regards to performance and some larger ones really disappoint with a lack of performance, but in general there should be a huge difference between the 2.

In engine performance the 1.4 should lack a lot compraed to the 2.0l but it also is probably dragging about a smaller body and is geared lower for quicker acelleration at the expense of top speed. Try driving a few and see what they feel like to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Is it the hyundai coupe your changing from??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

projectgtr wrote:
    Is it the hyundai coupe your changing from??

If this is the case, then acceleration may even impove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

God no. I had a hyundai coupe before and it was the slowest most annoying car ever - sold it after two months!!

I used to have a Xsara 1.8 VTS coupe. Now have Celica 2003 VVTL-i 1.8 6 speed. Am trading down. I was thinking of getting a Xsara 2.0 VTS coupe, but they are hard to find. Otherwise got my eye on Xsara 1.4 VTS or 99 Celica 1.8 VVTL-i.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

rubyred wrote:
    God no. I had a hyundai coupe before and it was the slowest most annoying car ever - sold it after two months!!

I used to have a Xsara 1.8 VTS coupe. Now have Celica 2003 VVTL-i 1.8 6 speed. Am trading down. I was thinking of getting a Xsara 2.0 VTS coupe, but they are hard to find. Otherwise got my eye on Xsara 1.4 VTS or 99 Celica 1.8 VVTL-i.
    Why are you trading down? House or something is it, surely if you need to change down it makes sense to get a diesel of some description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Yeah mortgage payments keep going up so have to clear the loan over the car - unfortunately cant' afford both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

the bhp/torque/weight of the celica would have to be compared to the xsara. you have any figures for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

p-nut wrote:
    are you joking?

sorry if i seem bad or anything but of course you would notice a major difference.

Depends on the car. You might have a 2L overweight barge with little power or a lightweight highly tuned 1.4.

Advertisement