Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Dishes

Options
  • 11-07-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Anyone got an update on the Satellite dish debate? I wanted to upgrade to Sky + but don't want to fork out the cash if the dishes are going to come down eventually. The contact in Wyse is on hols so just wondering if anyone knows anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There has been no change. If your dish needs to go on the front of the house it's verboeten, not just because your management company says so, but also because you do (in theory anyway) need planning permission to mount a dish to the front of a property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Strictly speaking mikedragon32 is correct.

However if you drive around Charlesland you will see that many people have decided to ignore this and so far no one has been forced to remove a dish.

Many people who have done this will tell you that they feel they have been forced to if they want a quality picture that always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

dish on the front not alowed Wicklow Co.Co. planning law. dish on the back or in the garden is ok. you could also talk nice to a neighbour and share a dish if you like as it can be organised if you get the details from sky as to who to contact (siera i think were contact but they will put
    you in touch with someone else). residents in Court were reported to the Co.Co. for this and it seemed to have some effect.
    (not court resident)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Something like this is worth checking out.
    Dish mounted at rear of property looking up over roof.
    Out of sight, out of mind.

wm-200wallmount010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

Yeah I have the dish up already on the back of the house and have a normal sky subscription. I wanna upgrade to Sky+ which requires a new box for 145euro, not a huge outlay but still, don't wanna waste my time and money by having the dish removed in the near future. I'll keep trying Wyse, the account manager is back on Monday....not that I'll get much of an answer from him either :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have a look at this site > Selfsat <

They are quite common here in France where dishes are banned by the Syndic (Management Co).
    I'm sure you could disguise it further by stencilling an alarm company name onto it.

Edit may not by useful for Sky+. I think it only has one LNB output.

That looks pretty cool Hagar.

postmanpat69, just do it like everyone else. Nothing will happen. Especially because your dish is on the back of your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I have been told that this would work on Freeview and/or sky.

Personally i'm not willing to give it as try but keep in mind that the pictures shown are the best possible installation. If you look through the manual, it would still have to sticking out from the wall on an arm.

I saw this thread in the Satelite section of Boards.

You might find prices for the dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Ru wrote:
    I have been told that this would work on Freeview and/or sky.

Personally i'm not willing to give it as try but keep in mind that the pictures shown are the best possible installation. If you look through the manual, it would still have to sticking out from the wall on an arm.

€300
    http://www.directvalue.ie/catalog/DisplayCategory.dhtml;jsessionid=E931ADF3A769F60CB146A054BDE24091?ts=1184179619949&cid=131

Would like to get some feedback from Irish users (if any?) and see if it needs to be placed on an "arm" as RU says for best reception.

• Advertisement

I succesfully got Sky working:D :D:D .

My neighbours agreed for me to share their dish. Sky+ comes with a quad LNB which allows 4 standard boxes or 2 Sky+ boxes to run off one dish.

The difference in picture quality is staggering. If anyone needs help, advice or spare cable, PM me and i'll happily assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ru wrote:
    I succesfully got Sky working:D :D:D .

My neighbours agreed for me to share their dish. Sky+ comes with a quad LNB which allows 4 standard boxes or 2 Sky+ boxes to run off one dish.

what'll happen if they want to put in a second box though?

I already asked them about that and it's pretty unlikely... for now!

If they change their mind i'll simply get my own dish, or ask the neighbours on the other side!!! hehe

It is possible to run another 3 TV's off the Skybox using the existing cable.

You just need a bit of patience, but there is cable running into all four rooms in theirs and my 2 bed terrace.

you can now get an L & B with 8 connections on it.

Each Sky+ box needs 2 connections, each standard box needs one.

This means that 1 dish can do 8 standard boxes or 4 Sky+ boxes or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fil6162

If you are in a house you can put it up in the back - i got a letter from the Mgmt Co. telling me they were going to take legal procedings against me - advised them that I didn't put up dish it was a man from Sky - nowhere in contract dose it say " you or an agent acting on your behalf" it just says "you" legally you are covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

fil6162 wrote:
    If you are in a house you can put it up in the back - i got a letter from the Mgmt Co. telling me they were going to take legal procedings against me - advised them that I didn't put up dish it was a man from Sky - nowhere in contract dose it say " you or an agent acting on your behalf" it just says "you" legally you are covered

Could probaly apply that "logic" to building a tower at the front of your house, i.e. I didn't build it, a bricklayer did. Not something I would be too pleased to hear a lawyer he was going to go to court with. You should be alrgiht with the dish at the back of your house anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

No matter how much your management company huff and puff about satellite dishes there really is nothing they can do to make you move it (as long as it is not on the front of the house - but thats for the co co to do something about).

They will threaten you with fines (illegal) and with getting someone to remove it (illegal). Doesnt matter if its in the lease. Let them take you to court if they want (they wont). But they dont want you to know that they cant do anything about it at all, because then they cant frighten you .... oops! Cat out of the bag.

there really is nothing they can do to make you move it (as long as it is not on the front of the house

I see them on the front of lots of houses in Charlesland and none have been removed. I think there is nothing that they can do about it (on the front, back or sides!) because they can not offer an alternitive to people that want a quality sevice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 D2

Notwithstanding provisions in leases in relation to satellite dishes, just to advise that planning law states in relation to satellite dishes that "no such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house" and "no such antenna shall be erected on the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house".

A considerable number of satellite dishes have already been removed from the front of dwellings in one part of Charlesland on foot of Wicklow County Council taking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

D2 wrote:
    A considerable number of satellite dishes have already been removed from the front of dwellings in one part of Charlesland on foot of Wicklow County Council taking action.

We should all be so grateful of wicklow county council for addressing such an important issue so quickly. I for one feel safer and happier with those menacing satellite dieshes gone. I was having bad dreams every night, and I think it was induced by them. Them horrible yucky things. My problems are solved now, thanks to WCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

D2 wrote:

Well if this is the case, then the management companies just need to sit tight and have this issue sorted for them without them spending (our) money going through solicitors and the courts. But it still leaves the issue of the dishes on the sides and rear of houses (strike that out of the leases and it's done!).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

Well the management company has come back to me...If your dish is on the rear of the house and your house is freehold they can't and won't be doing anything unless legistlation changes. They have removed some dishes from apartments already but don't have any plans to take down dishes from the houses.

As soon as I got the news I tried to order my Sky+, and got told I needed a landline as it's a new 12 month contact....typical. I can get it done without the contract but it works out at €375. ahhhhh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Well the management company has come back to me...If your dish is on the rear of the house and your house is freehold they can't and won't be doing anything unless legistlation changes. They have removed some dishes from apartments already but don't have any plans to take down dishes from the houses.

As soon as I got the news I tried to order my Sky+, and got told I needed a landline as it's a new 12 month contact....typical. I can get it done without the contract but it works out at €375. ahhhhh :mad:

Now here's a stupid question:

I presume all terraced houses are freehold. Or are they?
    If they are, then what's the story with lease? How can they enforce it on a freehold house?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MuffinsDa wrote:
    Now here's a stupid question:

I presume all terraced houses are freehold. Or are they?
    If they are, then what's the story with lease? How can they enforce it on a freehold house?

I said in a much earlier post that I thought everything in Charlesland was leasehold, but I can't remember if I was corrected on that or not. I don't think that leasehold is restricted to apartments / duplexes / non free-standing houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

Speaking for the Woods, all the houses, 2 &3 bed, are freehold.

Now, whilst that may make the enforcement of the satelite dish rule difficult, there are a number of options open to the Management Company (or as I like to call it, "You")
    - the lease prevents such activity and may allow for penalties to be applied. In the event of these penalties being applied and remaining unpaid, the Management Company could refuse to sign off in the event of a sale of your property (i.e. the 'sign off' which states that all outstanding amounts are up to date)
    - if the position of the dish is in contravention of planning regualtions, a complaint to the Wicklow Planning Office will result in its removal (as all such complaints must be followed up)

This debate will go on forever and still remain unresolved.
    Fact - we each signed a lease stating we would abide by the rules. This is simply the Management Company's "Terms and Conditions", the same as any other service provider. A party to such a contract cannot choose which terms they wish to abide by and those they wish to ignore.

Fact - the "Terms & Conditions" cannot be individually altered. Any such adjustment would require 100% approval and new contracts for each resident (nice pay day for the solicitors). 100% approval is NEVER going to happen.

Now, if you don't agree with the legality of the lease than there is only one option at your disposal and that is to challenge it in the Courts. You can of course simply choose to ignore the terms of the lease and do as you please.

Fact - we each signed a lease stating we would abide by the rules.

Just like people sign up to contracts that are broken everyday of the week.......

Fact: Many people have decicded to ignore these rules and they still have dishes up on the front of thier houses!
    Now, if you don't agree with the legality of the lease than there is only one option at your disposal and that is to challenge it in the Courts.

No thanks! I think most people will:
    simply choose to ignore the terms of the lease

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 m-i-r-o

Marcais wrote:
    €300
    http://www.directvalue.ie/catalog/DisplayCategory.dhtml;jsessionid=E931ADF3A769F60CB146A054BDE24091?ts=1184179619949&cid=131

Would like to get some feedback from Irish users (if any?) and see if it needs to be placed on an "arm" as RU says for best reception.

On self-sat's website they show the mounting options you get with it http://www.self-sat.com/howto.php , seems to be pretty much universal!

It's about the same size as an alarm box, so I don't see how any legislation can be made against it or else we'd end up having to take everything of our houses including the doorbell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 amir

m-i-r-o wrote: »
    On self-sat's website they show the mounting options you get with it http://www.self-sat.com/howto.php , seems to be pretty much universal!

It's about the same size as an alarm box, so I don't see how any legislation can be made against it or else we'd end up having to take everything of our houses including the doorbell!

Dou you know if self-sat works with Hotbird in Ireland? It should be fine but would prefer to confirm before spending 200e ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

amir wrote: »
    Dou you know if self-sat works with Hotbird in Ireland? It should be fine but would prefer to confirm before spending 200e ;)

The Cable & MMDS & IPTV or Satellite forums are probably better for specific queries about that kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I'm in a south facing 2 bed... is it possible to put the dish on the back of the house? Or will it need to be on the garden wall...

Advertisement