Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fe1 Manuals from Griffith

• 11-07-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I have four of these manuals,

Contract,
    Criminal,
    Constitutional,
    Company

What would be a fair price for these manuals, they are the latest ones, I do not want to rob anyone but dont want to give them away either, a change in circumstances, ie: I freaking hated the stuff has me on my merry way :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

gabgab wrote:

Contract,
    Criminal,
    Constitutional,
    Company

What would be a fair price for these manuals, they are the latest ones, I do not want to rob anyone but dont want to give them away either, a change in circumstances, ie: I freaking hated the stuff has me on my merry way :D:D
    I paid euro 40 each for 8. I think that's the norm.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

gabgab wrote:

Contract,
    Criminal,
    Constitutional,
    Company

In the same boat Gabgab but when I see that it's only 40 yo-yos a pop, i think I'd rather hang on to them and just add to them as need be. They're always handy to have as reference manuals. €40 each jst seems like too little when you consider what you paid for them in Griffiith!!

They're good but before I got them I was told that they were all you need to pass the FE1s. That I don't believe.

Ladylorenzo they are second hand softcover cheaply printed textbooks. What do you think they are worth?

MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

What did you pay for them in Griffith? They give out textbooks in each subject for the undergraduate course. Does anyone know if these are second hand or new to each student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Each subject in Griffith costs €375 inclusive of tuition and the manual. I would imagine that they are worth a bit more than €40 personally. Somewhere closer to €50 or €60 is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Ha ha did you bail on the course too yeh??

Of course I could of gotten the wrong end of the stick there and look like a clown :D:D

I would like to say to you guys, fair play to ya for sticking it out though!!!

They're good but before I got them I was told that they were all you need to pass the FE1s. That I don't believe.

Ladylorenzo they are second hand softcover cheaply printed textbooks. What do you think they are worth?

MM

See Betsy's post. They may be cheaply printed second hand softcover textbooks but they cover all the main topics(summarised in an incredibly handy way) in the core areas of law so as I said, they make for a handy reference maunual to be supplemented, of course, by the core textbooks and updated case notes. Therefore, as resource, they are worth way more than €40 to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

In relation to the manuals what's the content like, I pressume they're not just ten pages long?

They range in length according to the content of each subject. The longest manual I have is Constitutional at nearly 300 pages. I've heard contract is the shortest. They are comprehensive, but condensed if that makes sense.

They vary in size and are good introductions. I suppose like everything else they are worth what people will pay.

I don't accept that if you do a course and they give you a manual the cost of the manual relates to the value of the course.

Alot of supplemental reading is still necessary.

MM

• Advertisement

The thing is MM, I actually don't believe much supplemental reading actually isnecessary. This is from considerable anecdotal evidence.

The guy I got the manuals from told me he'd passed 3 out of 5 exams using nothing else.

I find that hard to believe from reading them.
    (They are good btw I am NOT slagging them)

MM

They vary in size and are good introductions. I suppose like everything else they are worth what people will pay.

I don't accept that if you do a course and they give you a manual the cost of the manual relates to the value of the course.

Alot of supplemental reading is still necessary.

MM

I paid the €375 per course but was on distance learning. The €375 included the manuals, an intro week(which i didnt attend) and and exam preparation week(which i didnt have time to attend!!)...so basically I paid 375 for the manual!! That's my choice i know but what i'm saying is that i'd rather have the manual by my side in the office rather than €40 in my back pocket.
    Obviously it'd be different if i decided to pursue a career in bodypainting!

So really, it's not a question of the value of the manual in relation to what you paid for it, it's the value of the manual to you in your own circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

ive passed 7 out of the 8 using the manuals and the manuals alone, there is more than enough in the manuals to pass and in fact in some of the subjects like company and tort i felt there was too much detail in the manuals that wasnt need for the exam,
    also think the classes in subjects like constituational, property and tort were very helpful so would imagine alot of your 375 u pay can be said to go towards the classes, except you ladylorenzo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Well if anyone is interested drop me a PM,

Cheers,

Advertisement