Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tooool!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mp3guy wrote:
    Not fact.

I'll be as absolutely blunt as I can. Opeth are easily my favourite band. They've done far more stuff that has effected me on a personal level than anything Tool have ever done. The phenominal music, lyrics, vocals, everything is perfection about Opeth.

But I agree with mp3guy, there's no way it's "Fact."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Has anyone mentioned Meshuggah...?

You need a bigger box for them cause they're a heavier Tool :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Kharn wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned Meshuggah...?

You need a bigger box for them cause they're a heavier Tool :p

I did earlier on, seriously great band, probably my favorite at the moment, they're one of the most unique sounding bands out there today.

Opeth are better than Tool. Simple fact.
    Source??:o

Oh wait, has "opinion" become "fact" these days?! Where have I been!!

I love Opeth, Ghost Reveries is one of my favourite albums, but to dismiss Tool is stupid.

One thing I will say about Tool is that it tales a while to get into them. If u dont have the perserverence for it then you probably wont think much of them. Mudvayne are another example of this, they often get overlooked cos of the "nu-metal" tag and the makeup they used to wear but the truth is theyre also a great band, very technical and progressive, if a little dark for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

^read the stickies in every forum.

I didn't dismiss Tool I still like them but I think Opeth are better by a big margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Ghost Reveries is not as good as 10,000 days....

Think there's a few people here determined to have a pop at Tool...

They're top notch band, with excellent music, live shows, album artwork, videos - everything they do is genius.

I also have an acoustic album of most of their songs - really shows in the intricacy of their songs.

But as someone said previously, this is all opinion - we all have different tastes on music. Only difference is I won't have a pop @ Opeth just cos I don't think they're better, they still have some great stuff - I just know which I'd prefer in my car, that's all.

^read the stickies in every forum.
    I read it but it doesnt say WHY MCD would care about people discussing concerts.......

As for the above poster, I agree, people love havin a go at TOOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Cos you cant be dissin festivals held on racecourses man. No freedom of speech here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

thewing wrote:
    excellent music, live shows,

Have to disagree - saw Tool at Ozzfest some years ago, when Ozzy cancelled and they closed the show - good grief I was bored beyond belief, truely if they are usually great on stage, they let themselves down (IMO) with a piss poor performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

thewing wrote:
    Ghost Reveries is not as good as 10,000 days....

Think there's a few people here determined to have a pop at Tool...

They're top notch band, with excellent music, live shows, album artwork, videos - everything they do is genius.

I also have an acoustic album of most of their songs - really shows in the intricacy of their songs.

But as someone said previously, this is all opinion - we all have different tastes on music. Only difference is I won't have a pop @ Opeth just cos I don't think they're better, they still have some great stuff - I just know which I'd prefer in my car, that's all.

No one was having a pop at Tool, you're over reacting. Which, if I may be cynical here, is a common trait amongst Tool die-hards. If someone makes a negative comment (which to most of them is any comment that isn't along the lines of "TOOL IS TEH BEST" ) about the band they get personally offended somehow, as if it were an insult to their intelligence. They'll usually either say something like "don't hate them because they're brilliant" or "you're just not intelligent enough to get them, Maynard's written songs about idiots like you." I kid you not, meeting a Tool fanboy on-line or off-line (usually on-line, they haven't the gall to back up their statements in person in most cases) can be a mentally poisonous experience. Yes, this can be said of many fanboy circles, but it must be said that Tool have a more deluded and robust circle of fanboys than most.

Note that the main body of that text was not a personal attack on you, more a commentary on the common variety of Tool fanboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Love Tool. Only moving into this kind of area so not into the likes of Opeth etc (yet) 10,000 Days is good but there's a fair ammount of rubbish towards the end imo. Lateralus and AEnima are way better, but I can't decide on a favourite between them, as it switches every other day! Undertow is very raw and unpolished. Don't like it at all really apart from one or two songs. I think the sound even gets to me.
    Nothing I enjoy more than blasting out a few tunes on my G&L through the GT-6 set to Mesa Boogie on heat, then into the trusty Marshall!! Thank god the speakers are 100 watt each and the amp is only rated to 100 watt rms is all I'll say!!

P.S. that last paragraph is probably more suited to the instruments forum but hey, it's about Tool at the end of the day! :rolleyes:

I think the extreme knee jerk reactions to negative comments are made in general by people the likes of which are the subject of "Hooker With a Penis". I find it funny that even the front man of a band hates the vast majority of the "fans". Record companies idiotic marketing eh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

mp3guy wrote:
    Double bass, down tuned distorted guitars, screaming, solos, sounds like metal to me :rolleyes:
    you've either listened to very little Tool or very little metal. Tool have never detuned extensively. unless im mistaken...drop D on most songs (1 string), drop B on one (1 string), eBGDEB (2 strings) and standard on one song.
    there is also not much screaming in the overall scheme of things, and what screaming is found has more in common with rock music than metal.

double bass is found in a wide range of genres, from metal to jazz, and if solos means metal then you're clearly a ****ing idiot. there is VERY little about Tool that is "metal". Dannys drumming at times, yes, tho its more influenced by 70s and 80s prog bands. Adams guitar style is very simplistic, definitely not very metal. one or two Meshuggah influences on 10kD, but thats about it.
    if you call MJK a metal vocalist i really dont know where to begin pointing out how wrong you are.

metal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

QFT

Hard/Prog Rock most defo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i would have considered them progressive metal :) was listening to laterlus quite recently.

Opeth: i havent really listened to properly but every time i hear The Grand Conjuration, they kinda grow on me (yes its probably not a great idea base my idea of a band on one song)

actually werent Tool number 5 or so in the charts when 10000 days came out

I'll be honest here... I still didn't get around to getting 10,000 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wouldn't consider Tool to be metal at all and that's a good thing IMO.

I've very little time for the majority of metal music at the moment. The post-metal scene is about all that interests me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

^ i hate that phrase. post metal is such a bull**** genre. lots of good music, dont get me wrong, but the phrase is crap. almost all "post metal" bands can be put into proper genres.

also, theres some excellent metal out there, if you look hard enough
    unfortunately, metalcore is whats at the forefront nowadays, and thats, for the most part, complete ****. cant think of one metalcore band i can stand.

Alucard II wrote:
    ^ i hate that phrase. post metal is such a bull**** genre. lots of good music, dont get me wrong, but the phrase is crap. almost all "post metal" bands can be put into proper genres.

also, theres some excellent metal out there, if you look hard enough
    unfortunately, metalcore is whats at the forefront nowadays, and thats, for the most part, complete ****. cant think of one metalcore band i can stand.
    Ah I know it's a **** term to define the genre. It isn't a genre really, but the only metal I seem to like these days has a lot in common with the post-rock genre.

The fact that metalcore is to the forefront has kind of made me shy away from the metal genre completely!

What are these 'Post-Metal' bands you're speaking of, S.M.B.?

Boris
    Isis
    Jesu
    Pelican
    Sun O)))
    Red Sparrowes

I know a lot of bands like these can be thrown into different metal genres like Doom/Drone/Sludge/Stoner etc but the similarities with these bands and bands from the post rock genre is pretty evident.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, definetly some good bands there, but there's a hell of a lot more bands out there that are doing new and interesting things besides them.

Alucard II wrote:
    you've either listened to very little Tool or very little metal. Tool have never detuned extensively. unless im mistaken...drop D on most songs (1 string), drop B on one (1 string), eBGDEB (2 strings) and standard on one song.
    there is also not much screaming in the overall scheme of things, and what screaming is found has more in common with rock music than metal.

double bass is found in a wide range of genres, from metal to jazz, and if solos means metal then you're clearly a ****ing idiot. there is VERY little about Tool that is "metal". Dannys drumming at times, yes, tho its more influenced by 70s and 80s prog bands. Adams guitar style is very simplistic, definitely not very metal. one or two Meshuggah influences on 10kD, but thats about it.
    if you call MJK a metal vocalist i really dont know where to begin pointing out how wrong you are.

metal :rolleyes:

Nice few personal attacks there. You can check my last.fm profile if you think I haven't listened to much tool or metal as a whole. I have also seen them live, great metal concert. Also, the most popular tag for tool on last.fm is "progressive metal", so that means most people believe that's the genre of their music, so I'll take the majority over music deity Alucard II. You don't understand that metal doesn't mean megadeth or metallica. I won't be replying to anything you post in retort to this, so save yourself the time.

mp3guy wrote:
    Nice few personal attacks there.

I've read the post twice just now, and I can't see any personal attacks at all. So, can you please not make that kind of claim?

I've read the post twice just now, and I can't see any personal attacks at all. So, can you please not make that kind of claim?

I was wrong with few, but I mean mostly "if solos means metal then you're clearly a ****ing idiot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'll be honest here... I still didn't get around to getting 10,000 days.

it was too expensive when it came out for my liking so i ''obtained'' during my travels in the east, it rarely worked BUT!!!!!!!!! my computer finally ripped it today, im going to donegal tomorow, my long journey will be a tooled up :D

[it better be good]

(and i still think theyre metal,but no sense getting into a genre debate)

[also Karl after my trip to ''lastfm'' i finally figured out where your pictures from:)]

Ah yes, definetly some good bands there, but there's a hell of a lot more bands out there that are doing new and interesting things besides them.
    I'd be interested in hearing a few recommendations of any bands doing something interesting within the metal genre. Would certainly give any band doing anything a bit different a listen.
    mp3guy wrote:
    Also, the most popular tag for tool on last.fm is "progressive metal", so that means most people believe that's the genre of their music, so I'll take the majority over music deity Alucard II. You don't understand that metal doesn't mean megadeth or metallica.
    I'd still consider Tool as not being metal and I don't particularly give a ****e in what the masses think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

(@ S.M.B)

Hehe, sorry man I was very drunk (vodka + red bull makes me mad) when I typed that, I was way out of line. I had no idea I was that vindictive while drinking that crap. Perhaps I should stop.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make (put more eloquently) is that most metal "afficionados" would never consider Tool metal. Most prog rock fans would also never consider them progressive rock. I personally consider them alternative, as my experience with metal and prog rock leads me to believe they are neither, but certainly a little part of them is both. What it does sound like to me though is alternative music, with touches of metal and progressive influence. They're their own thing, that's for sure.

(@ S.M.B)

Most people think Slipknot are death metal, but they aren't. Your point is moot.

As well as this, I made a post not one page previous to this listing bands doing something as interesting if not far more so than Tool, but it seems you don't care because you seem to need the validation of a more prolific user before you listen to something. This is not healthy. Not a stab, but something to take under advisement.
    How is my point moot? All I'm saying is just because a band is 'tagged' within last.fm as being a certain genre doesn't mean I see them as being part of that genre. :confused:

As for looking for validation from a more prolific user? Where the **** did that come from? I don't care how much of a post count a user has, Karl Hungus just happened to say there is an awful lot of bands doing interesting stuff within the metal genre so I wouldn't mind finding out who he's talking about? Knowing the type bands I'm interested in that I listed above he might be able to suggest some I might like!

I had looked at your list and some bands I like, some I dislike, some I've been meaning to check out and some I've never heard and must check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Jaysis.

You'd swear the title of the thread is "What bands are better than Tool, and what genre do you think they are"

No one has made any "knee jerk" overreactions about any negative tool comments.
    A boy comes along and makes a thread about his favourite band at the mo, in the hope of some intelligent discussion from other like minded people who are the same.
    Instead he gets 10,000 replies about better bands and a load of PMS style whinging.

It's a bit mental i think. for example, You come into a thread about Rashers..and then go on about sausages being better...then you can't understand why people don't bow down to your comments.
    Ye are all like my psycho ex.

In fairness..I never heard of Messhuggah...and I'm well impressed with what I have heard from them in the last few days.
    So thanks to whoever suggested listening to them.

But that's neither here nor there.
    Tool are the most interesting band to me at the mo...hands down.
    Hence the thread title.

I have no time whatsoever for most of the other usual bands suggested whenever someone even whispers tool. Like Opeth and King Crimson.
    I agree that Tool get a lot of influence from those bands...but they do it miles better. In my opinion anyway.

So back to the people who have also noticed the Irish/trad in Tool music.
    I bet the band don't even realise it themselves. Someone else could argue that those riffs are also just like arabian music etc etc.
    they would be correct too.

I'm a drummer for a trad band myself, among others,...and I would love to do a slipjig take on 10,000 days.
    Who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

and p.s.
    genres are for girls.

I'm personally too busy enjoying the music to be bothered with what genre it is.

Advertisement