Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tooool!!!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm not a fan of Tool by any means, they have a few good songs, but Maynards voice annoys me most of the time, and a lot of their songs sound like they are deliberating holding back so that they can sound gloomy and ploddy, instead of just going for it. They are all capable musicians, but they are less than the sum of their parts imo. Also, (sperate issue) but the way Tool fans harp on about them has done nothing to improve my opinion of them.

(Any comments about me not being a fan of metal will be duly ignored)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Well LaserFace, there was an intelligent discussion going on. And it was on topic. We have forums because people like to express their opinion. And it's certainly been more intelligent than comments such as "PMS style whinging," which when you think about it is a bit of a stupid point to make since you're "whinging" about our "whinging." I don't know about you, but I don't think a 7 page thread consisting of "TOOL IS TEH AWSUM, THEY AM SMRT" and posts, while more eloquently put, that just agree with each other for the entire body of the thread constitutes as "intelligent conversation." If everyone agreed with each other this forum would be a wholly boring place.

And @ Brian: good point, and nobody cares if you are or aren't a metal fan. I call myself a "music fan." That means I can listen to whatever the hell I want and not get labelled. Yays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not a fan of Tool by any means, they have a few good songs, but Maynards voice annoys me most of the time, and a lot of their songs sound like they are deliberating holding back so that they can sound gloomy and ploddy, instead of just going for it. They are all capable musicians, but they are less than the sum of their parts imo. Also, (sperate issue) but the way Tool fans harp on about them has done nothing to improve my opinion of them.

(Any comments about me not being a fan of metal will be duly ignored)
    I think Maynards voice is the reason I like Tool so much more than other bands they are compared to. He's probably my favourite vocalist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fluffybunnyhead

However, when attempting to accuire some fantastic music off the interweb (Tool flavoured) I discovered they don't exsist on Itunes! Is there a particular reason for this? Do they have something against the apple giant?:confused:

P.s. to whoever said so, I also abhor fanboys (or girls) who are so insistent that their way is the only way. You must be a super fan to be considered...

I just really enjoy listening to their music, it's kinda soundscapey, but it still has those delicious heavy riffs to wake you up again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i adore Tool, so much so i'm going to London to see them again in august :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

mp3guy wrote:
    Nice few personal attacks there. You can check my last.fm profile if you think I haven't listened to much tool or metal as a whole. I have also seen them live, great metal concert. Also, the most popular tag for tool on last.fm is "progressive metal", so that means most people believe that's the genre of their music, so I'll take the majority over music deity Alucard II. You don't understand that metal doesn't mean megadeth or metallica. I won't be replying to anything you post in retort to this, so save yourself the time.
    excellent, the final word is mine by default! :p

basic fact is, the majority of people dont know music. look at the charts man, proof is in the pudding.
    and i would defend my knowledge of metal, but i know i know metal, and i dont have to prove it to you. also, i didnt insult you, not once. but to get away from needless bickering........
    i adore Tool, so much so i'm going to London to see them again in august :D
    if thats one of the shows with Russian Circles, i'm going to be extremely jealous. Tool & RC are 2 of my favourite bands. wanna trade lives for the month of August? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Alucard II wrote:
    if thats one of the shows with Russian Circles, i'm going to be extremely jealous. Tool & RC are 2 of my favourite bands. wanna trade lives for the month of August? :p

ooh yes! it is, i hadn't heard them before i knew they were playing this but i must say i'm impressed.nice taste there dude!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tool are fast becoming my favourite band. Ok, if a few years is fast. Nobody is as good as them to me. This was driven home by their concert, some of thier songs are absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

ooh yes! it is, i hadn't heard them before i knew they were playing this but i must say i'm impressed.nice taste there dude!!!
    i have Carpe set as the song on my myspazz page :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

10,000 days is disappointing in my opinion compared to the previous 2 records

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

S.M.B. wrote:
    I think Maynards voice is the reason I like Tool so much more than other bands they are compared to. He's probably my favourite vocalist!

Yeah I realise that for a lot of people this is their favourite part of the band, I guess you either like him or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah I realise that for a lot of people this is their favourite part of the band, I guess you either like him or you don't.
    It's bizarre cause I despised his voice for a few years only knowing his guest appearance on ratm's 'Know Your Enemy'. Ænima changed all that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I love Tool, I have seen them a few times and I think they are great live. As for bands doing interesting stuff in 'metal'?
    Check out Gojira, I love them such a great album (From Mars to Sirus)
    and the Deftones are alwyas doing something new, Saturday Night Wrist is a good record.

Advertisement