Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Limerick

Options
  • 11-07-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Plans in the Leader today for "a new Limerick" sounds interesting but not gonna hold my breath
    THE NEW LIMERICK?
    By EUGENE PHELAN

PLANS for a new Limerick city, with a population of 150,000, making it a 24 hour living city, were unveiled this Wednesday including radical proposals to demolish one of the city's first pedestrianised shopping areas - Cruises Street.
    A dynamic Riverside life with a floating concert arena, swimming baths, waterways centre, pedestrian bridge and water features, is another of the features of the new plan being put forward.

Instead of Cruises Street we could have a retail district that would include the mixed use redevelopment that would bring 24-hour life back to that area.

And according to top architects Limerick city, is despite the million spents in recent years, in decay and becoming more abandoned by people who want to live a better quality life in the suburbs in places like Castletroy and Raheen.

"We are the only city in Ireland, if not Europe, where suburban commercial rents are higher than those in the city centre," managing directof Hugh Elliott, Elliott Maguire Landers.

"We want to transform Limerick into a new city where 150,000 people will chose to live. A city that will attract investment, and tourism and become a thriving cultural and economic centre," Mr. Elliott added.

This vision for Limerick: A Riverside City in 2020 is what prompted EML to produce a creative blueprint on how to transform Limerick into a dynamic European city.

The challenging blueprint, Opportunities for Urban Development, Where to Next? was presented to Limerick's main public and private sector players at a Breakfast Briefing in the Marriott Hotel this morning.

The University of Limerick's Dean of the Kemmy School of Business, Donal Dineen, chaired the high-powered briefing. The panel included: Limerick City Council Director of Services Kieran Lehane; leading accountant, Tom Caulfield; developer Ger Clohessy and EML Managing Director Hugh Elliott.The acting Chief Executive of the new Limerick Regeneration Bodies, Brendan Kenny, as well as leading developers and financiers also attended the briefing.

11 July 2007
    NEW LIMERICK CITY: MAIN PROPOSALS
    The EML plan, presented by Director Michael Landers, identified specific sites for regeneration and development that would give Limerick:
    A new Civic and Cultural Centre with European style open spaces.

A dynamic Riverside life with a floating concert arena, swimming baths, waterways centre, pedestrian bridge and water features.

A Business District at Bishop's Quay that would be feature high-rise buildings to complement Riverpoint.

A new City Village with imaginative redevelopment of the Watergate flats, a Milk Market redesign, and mixed-use development of workspaces, commercial and living spaces.

A Retail District that would include the demolition of Cruises Street and the its mixed use redevelopment that would bring 24-hour life back to that area.

Georgian City Regeneration with innovative schemes that would provide good quality accommodation on the top two floors of these buildings as well as the basement. And the development of winter gardens and good quality mews at the back of these buildings.

An Urban Stroll Way from Colbert Train station down to the Riverside Business District by the River to provide good quality open spaces for people to enjoy the city.

Mr. Landers also provided examples of good city regeneration in Copenhagen, Vancouver and Leeds that gave people a reason to stay and live in these cities.

"Our vision for Limerick is a city with a population of 150,000 that is culturally and economically vibrant and sits at the heart of a thriving Atlantic Corridor region," Mr Landers said.

"Great regions need great cities and we want all the stakeholders here today to buy into an agreed vision for the future of Limerick to make it a thriving competitive European city," Mr. Landers added.

11 July 2007

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

25hr life in cruises street? opening a 24hrs dunnes?
    *yawn* 1st April is long gone, is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya that will get the go ahead around the same time as the tower at the docklands we seen 2 years ago

this time next never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

ah the cynics are out!
    the whole docklands thing is held up because of what to do with the port and the people that work there kicking up and some other legal stuff that they never even bothered considering. it may happen yet. If the Limerick regeneration board are on side with this latest proposal it could easily happen. it may not but dont knock it yet. There have been talks of Pennys/Debenhams/Liddy Street all being demolished for quite a while so its not beyond the realms of possibility..wont be tomorrow though so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Lets be honest about it as a shopping street Cruises is ok but as a central pedestrian street in the city its a disaster. To me a central pedestrian area should have life after 6 in the evening which cruises does not.

Thomas street I think has shown the way to go with a cafe bar type street but also include boutique stores excluding the 2 euro shop.

Any forward looking vision i believe is a good thing but find it odd that an idea like this has to come from an architects firm and not from the council themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Knocking Cruises St is just a big NO from me. Whoever announce these things have too big an imagination. This will be another Docklands or "knock Penneys and AQ shopping centre" sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Cruises St, is a ****e hole! How is it a big NO!

Cruises St, is a ****e hole! How is it a big NO!

If they knock it, it will turn the city into a massive building site!!! how the hell will the city cope without 50% of it's shops?!?

They wanna knock the retail heart of the city for a stupid "business district". THIS IS LIMERICK NOT F***ING MANHATTAN!

Where will they relocate all the shops? The Opera Centre perhaps? OH WAIT! That also looks doubtful!

Yet another PIE in the F***ING SKY plan from some highly-imaginated developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

havent bought anything on Cruises street in years. whats on it, loads of crap sports shops, dodgy shoe shops, mobile phone shops and a load of english chains like HMV(buy online now), River Island (worst clothes shop ever) and little else. Good riddance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

If they knock it, it will turn the city into a massive building site!!! how the hell will the city cope without 50% of it's shops?!?

They wanna knock the retail heart of the city for a stupid "business district". THIS IS LIMERICK NOT F***ING MANHATTAN!

Where will they relocate all the shops? The Opera Centre perhaps? OH WAIT! That also looks doubtful!

Yet another PIE in the F***ING SKY plan from some highly-imaginated developer.

Rawr

you forgetting about bedford row poxy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cruises Street is basically the hang-out hole for all the skobes in Limerick. You can't walk past HMV/MaccyD's without getting felt up by little phone-robbers. What was once 3 dodgey sports shops is now 1 dodgey sports shop, 1 dodgey footwear shop for the millions of basketball players in the region :rolleyes: and 1 English pharmacists. The only shop I've any interest in is Game, and even then I could buy everything cheaper in Smyth's.

The city does need to be cleaned up. I wouldn't agree with the use of the term "decaying" though. Certainly depressing at times.

RE: poxyshamrock, part of the thinking behind the plan is bringing business back into the city centre. Something tells me Cruise's St would not be too badly missed for 2 years when there's shopping centres and retail parks at every corner of the suburbs.

That said, I won't believe it til I see it. Meet me at the skate park if you know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

An Fhile wrote:
    Cruises Street is basically the hang-out hole for all the skobes in Limerick. You can't walk past HMV/MaccyD's without getting felt up by little phone-robbers. What was once 3 dodgey sports shops is now 1 dodgey sports shop, 1 dodgey footwear shop for the millions of basketball players in the region :rolleyes: and 1 English pharmacists. The only shop I've any interest in is Game, and even then I could buy everything cheaper in Smyth's.

That said, I won't believe it til I see it. Meet me at the skate park if you know what I mean ;)

I get the same impression Skobe wise about Cruises street
    and the only thing of Interest to me is Game.
    Which is too expensive compared to online shopping.
    And the side entrance to Easons which I use to exit
    to avoid all the annoying Chuggers. (When and If I want to donate to
    charity I dont want to give my bank details and I do want to donate
    to the charity of my choice.) HMV Local hang out point for
    the Skobes. But thats cos they may have nothing else to do in the
    city to pass the time apart from sitting on the window
    outside HMV. Need something where younger teens/kids
    can go to pass the time or entertain themselves for Free!!!!

As I mentioned before Skobe wise out of all the cities I have visited in Ireland
    Limerick stands out the most for the amount of Skobes or visible Scumbags.
    Its also the city I have felt least safe walking down the streets.
    Now before anyone chimes in with crime statisics to indicate
    crime is worse in other areas etc I use the word "felt" safe.
    Lots of Cameras on Poles but not enough visible presence
    from the Gardai.

I welcome any positive change in Limerick. Its come on a lot in the last
    few years. I have always thought that there was very little interesting things
    to do in the City. Drink/Eat/Dolans/Gym/Belltable or sit by the river?
    Would love to see some interesting and unusual things for people to do.
    Something different that could be unique to Limerick.

The last bit of excitement in the City was when they put in the Bowling
    ally in the Savoy when it was built and had the Cinemas and arcade
    but it went down hill real quick and am glad the place it gone.
    (Even if the likes of Termites at the savoy had some memories)
    I like the idea of the new street there and keeping the Old Church face.

a lot of people I know when they want to go on a shopping
    trip they Travel to Cork of Dublin you gotta wonder why? what
    have they got that Limerick does not? With that said I was in
    Galway recently and I used to think the place was great but
    there was now nothing of interest to me up there other than
    one paticular shop I had travelled there to goto. I actually thought when
    shopping up there that Limerick was Brilliant compared to the place.

The First thing I would knock or re-develop is William Street.
    Also near the train station could do with a make over.

The Sk8r thing is getting silly they should have had
    the park by now. I feel for them, if they get one built
    the steps of Taits clock will be safe again! and young people at
    least will have a little bit of a choice of where to hang out.

Would love to see an Urban Airsoft or paintball site
    put in an Teenagers and adults would love
    that but may attract negative attention due to the nature of the sport.

One thing that drives me nuts is when all the Big Bands/Acts come to
    Ireland is mostly Dublin that they play. I know we have Dolans and the
    UL concert hall but Dolans is too small and UL convert hall would not be
    suited for a huge event. Someplace like the gaelic grounds (Is it still called that?)
    would be great for bigger open air concerts dont know why they have not
    done this already? wondering if its the gaelic grounds wont let the events take place
    or if its got to do with being to close to residential areas.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Cruises has declined sadly from it's initial concept. If you look at it now it has McDonalds, HMV, Game, (Champion?) Sports, footlocker, Argos, (O2?) phone shop. It's scanger heavan. That of course with a complete lack of any kind of Garda presence has turned it into one of Limerick blackspots. Throw in the chuggers and it is a place to be avoided. I don't think knocking the buildings and putting up newer ones is going to stop that.

First get Limerick city council to be very particular on what type of business go in there. In general if it's the kind of place that needs at least two bouncers on the door just say NO! Next go down to Henry St and tell the Garda there has to be a visible presence in Cruises St, not just a foot patrol every 6 hours. Get the chuggers off it and encourage busking to give it some atmosphere.

Of course this requires good cooperation of Gardai and city council. In a lot of ways it would be easier to pay a lot of money to architects and developers. Tear the whole place up, cause traffic chaos and end up with an ultra modern facade that in another decade would look just plain tacky. I am little uncomfortable with Ger Clohessey and EML being involved in regneration decisions (They are biased towards erecting new developements)

There is a fine line between regeneration and needless modern development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You have to understand the time when Cruises Street was designed and built, Ireland, and Limerick in particular, was in the grips of a recession, the IMF nearly took over the running of our ecomony things were so bad. The city centre was very delapidated, far more so than it is now. Cruises street was at the time, a step in the right direction. It is now horribly outdated and too small.

When Bedofrd Row opens, I imagine Cruises street will be further rendered obsolete.

^^ thats what im saying, they should go ahead and redevelop cruises street when bedford row finally gets off its feel and gets some good shops. Though at the moment all I'm seeing is cafe's which is grand but you also want it to be a shopping street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I dunno, I agree with Aesop, "There is a fine line between regeneration and needless modern development" - I think some things need change, but I think those who run Crusis Street just need to knock all the units into each other (have 1 large unit instead of 2), repave the street with the new brighter slabs and fix up all the buildings and signage etc.

I LOVE the floating Concert Arena idea, that would be something unreal! That would give Limerick something unique to the city! I like the idea of the plan - but actually going through with knocking half the city could be disasterous in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

bullets wrote:
    I get the same impression Skobe wise about Cruises street

As I mentioned before Skobe wise out of all the cities I have visited in Ireland
    from the Gardai.

please, lets not go down THAT road again. Dublin just as bad if not worse than limerick for "that sort of thing".

and the reason most people go to Dublin and Cork for shopping is due to its choice of shops. With the intense retail competition its much easier to find a shop that will sell high quality goods at lower prices.

On another note if they really want Limerick City center to be regenerated they need to start centralizing it a bit better make people want to come into it and assuming they would go ahead I doubt they would knock the whole of cruises street in one go and do it stage by stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

This idea is getting us decent coverage they are discussing the plan on Newstalk as i type

I don't think Bedford Row will take off as good as we hope it will.

Instead of knocking things that aren't even 15 years old I would prefer for the less popular streets to be redeveloped i.e. Catherine Street (complete dump and smells of sewage and alcohol), Davis (a gateway to the city and all it's home to is brothels, winos and dingy shops) and don't even get me started on Parnell St. and Wickham St.

Sunn wrote:
    please, lets not go down THAT road again. Dublin just as bad if not worse than limerick for "that sort of thing".

I am only speaking from my own personal experiances
    as someone who dressed a little weird being a goth in my
    teenage years (I am now 31 so not a teenager anymore)
    I and my friends may have stuck out from the crowd more so
    than an average joe-soap. The likes of Dublin etc where
    there is more of a variety of culture or different types of poeple
    they dont bat an eyelid when it comes to anything that differs
    from the norm as they are used to that. Even the scumbags you
    find hanging around the likes of McD's or Supermacs
    after a night out at a club are more friendly
    and less of a dangerous vibe off of them.

Here is Limerick there is a lot less acceptance from the
    average joe of people that dont conform to some sort
    of standard Norm.

My experiances are a few years old at this stage so things
    may have changed in Limerick since but..........................

When I compare the amount of times I have had confrontations,
    cause for alarm, felt as though myself or a loved one was in danger,
    or witnessed attacks fights trouble, violence and more or less everything BAD
    it has always been in Limerick way more so than any other place.
    And I am not just saying that simply becuase I live here or may
    have spent more time here than in other places.

In any other City/Town I have ever spent time in across the entire of Ireland
    I have NEVER had felt the same way or experianced the same things
    as I have experianced in Limerick.

I have traveled a lot around Ireland as my attitude is that rather
    than feck off to the extreme other side of the world to trave,l is
    that people should explore and travel there own country aswell,

Thats not to say the same things dont happen in places other than
    Limerick but personaly for years I have felt negative about Limerick.
    It is changing though for the better its just not changing Fast enough.
    It would be nice th get a kick start in that respect.

If you ignore the social issue for a sec. The physical appearence of
    Limerick and the retail and commerical aspect of Limerick is getting better
    every year. When that changes for the good and when we get more culture
    and integrate more with our European neighbours that have decided to live
    here then the Social aspect of Limerick may change to be more acceptable.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bullets wrote:
    Thats not to say the same things dont happen in places other than
    Limerick but personaly for years I have felt negative about Limerick.

~B

We all see the world as we want to see it to a certain extent. I wonder is it that you just want to justify the way the media has attacked Limerick the last few years or what that makes you feel that Limerick is any worse or even as bad as Dublin. Dublin just has a less central feel for scumbags...e.g I don't see junkies begging when I'm crossing Sarsfield Bridge or O'Connell Street in Limerick. In Dublin the scum like that can't be avoided!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, I think the "undesirables" problem is one that we will never fully get away from. I've seen the same thing in places like Tralee and Dublin, so it's not unique to Limerick in any way. The Limerick post was discussing the whole concert venue issue today. Gaelic Grounds can't be used because of the population density on this side of town. There's a slim possibility that Thomond Park could be used at some stage down the line for gigs. I'd much prefer a river-side or even floating venue though. The city needs new attractions, even if it's just bowling alleys, quazar (sp?), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

ninty9er wrote:
    We all see the world as we want to see it to a certain extent.

touché..
    ninty9er wrote:
    Dublin just has a less central feel for scumbags...e.g I don't see junkies begging when I'm crossing Sarsfield Bridge or O'Connell Street in Limerick. In Dublin the scum like that can't be avoided!!

If the "scum" can't be avoided in Dublin, then they're obviously not so "less central"...

I've known bullets for a few years now, and although I disagree with some of his views, but regarding Limerick I know he's not one to jump on the meeeeeja bandwagon - so I believe that's something else you can cross off your list..

Right - now that's out of the way..

I'm a blow-in. To be perfectly honest I hated this city when I moved here first 9 years ago.. I had no preconceptions when I moved here first but I was completely depressed by the place. There was nothing to do, nowhere to shop, nowhere to go (apart from the Savoy!), and if you went out on your own in the city (to be honest, you were taking your life in your hands)..

After nine years - and a few years living in the "rough areas" (as the media like to label them), I can say things are improving.. the shopping is better (although if I were to go on a spree, I'd probably head to Ennis, Cork or Dublin), the facade of the city has improved, it's not just that horrid 70s/80s red brick facade anymore.. going out in the city at the weekend has become more pleasurable (provided you get out before all the clubs flood their patronage onto the streets)..

There are many good things about Limerick - and I've been largely supportive of it in recent years - but like everything and everywhere, there's much that could make it better.. the plans that have been proposed look good - but surely a fraction of the cost of these plans could have been used better to help out cleaning up parks, cleaning the graffiti off the castle walls and the city walls, emptying bins, y'know - the simple things!

ninty9er wrote:
    I wonder is it that you just want to justify the way the media has attacked Limerick the last few years or what that makes you feel that Limerick is any worse or even as bad as Dublin.

I'd agree with We all see the world as we want to see it to a certain extent.
    I am picking out negative things that I see simply becuase
    its the negative things that are the problem. We dont need
    to change the posative things because they are good.
    tis the negative things that need to change to improve things.

When it comes to the the Media I dont believe a lot
    of what they report it appears to have been biased about Limerick
    for a long time.

The Media gets it arseways most of the time when reporting
    crime and I think its scaremongering and not responsible of them.
    The most recent example that I can think of that annoyed me was
    The article about the so called High Powered Sniper rifle that was siezed.

It was reported that a "Pump action"
    High Powered rifle that could kill at a mile!! with a value of 10,000 with a
    scope worth 4000 Euro was siezed. They had a Picture of it on the paper.
    http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/bullets_ie/?action=view&current=10ksniper1.jpg
    The barrel looked like it had rust on the outside and if it was rusty inside, I dread to think of what would happed if someone tried to fire it.

Turns out the (bolt action not pump action)
    Rifle was worth around 1250 Euro's Brand new.
    I was not sure about the scope but I had guessed at 3-400Euros
    (maybe more if it was an expensive brand)
    At the most the setup would be under 2000 Euro.

Yet in Court the evidence given to the Judge by Senior Gardai and reported by the Papers had a value of about 14,000???
    If they exagerate that much ya gotta wonder what else they
    exagerate about.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I don't think Bedford Row will take off as good as we hope it will.

Instead of knocking things that aren't even 15 years old I would prefer for the less popular streets to be redeveloped i.e. Catherine Street (complete dump and smells of sewage and alcohol), Davis (a gateway to the city and all it's home to is brothels, winos and dingy shops) and don't even get me started on Parnell St. and Wickham St.

Catherine street is in line for upgrading soon, Davis street, Wickham street and Parnell street are disasters though, and must leave an awful impression on visitors just arriving into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

bullets wrote:
    from the Gardai.

While I agree with the need for a more visable garda presence, I find the idea that there is a higher concentration of scobey types in the city a bit exaggerated.
    Personnally, just don't see this. If you g o to anywhere in the country, you'll see this, from the group of shams who accosted me outside a chippy in Sligo, to the group that chased me and some friends throughthe streets of Waterford.
    Maybe I'm just blind to it!
    If there is more of a concentration, then it would be because of a lack of infrastructure in the suberbs, and no amount of improving the city will change that.
    bullets wrote:
    The last bit of excitement in the City was when they put in the Bowling
    ally in the Savoy when it was built and had the Cinemas and arcade
    but it went down hill real quick and am glad the place it gone.
    (Even if the likes of Termites at the savoy had some memories)
    I like the idea of the new street there and keeping the Old Church face.

Yeah, Termites had its moments.
    Never stopped us complaining about it at the time though!:p
    I agree completely about the old Church BTW, all the renders of that look really good.
    bullets wrote:
    The First thing I would knock or re-develop is William Street.
    Also near the train station could do with a make over.

Both Williams street and the train Station are set to be redeveloped.
    If you go to the Limerick City Council Page, you can see images of the new William St. (Wider footpaths, no on street parking, new bins and lamps, new trees, and working with shops to improve the facade), I'll try and find the proposed image for the new station if you want.
    They'll be starting working on William Street as soon as work on Thomas, Roches, Catherine St, and Bedford Row is finished.

As for the Station, that's anybody's guess, but Bus éirean would be funding most of it..
    bullets wrote:
    The Sk8r thing is getting silly they should have had
    the park by now. I feel for them, if they get one built
    the steps of Taits clock will be safe again! and young people at
    least will have a little bit of a choice of where to hang out.

There acctually is a valid reason for the delay in that.
    The council put it out to be tendered, but the cheapest tender was almost double what had been set aside!
    They were getting offers of €7 million!!!!!
    That's beyond ridiculous, so I can understand them delaying on that.
    bullets wrote:
    Would love to see an Urban Airsoft or paintball site
    put in an Teenagers and adults would love
    that but may attract negative attention due to the nature of the sport.

That's true, would be cool, but I can see the media headlines!!!:rolleyes:

bullets wrote:
    One thing that drives me nuts is when all the Big Bands/Acts come to
    Ireland is mostly Dublin that they play. I know we have Dolans and the
    UL concert hall but Dolans is too small and UL convert hall would not be
    suited for a huge event. Someplace like the gaelic grounds (Is it still called that?)
    would be great for bigger open air concerts dont know why they have not
    done this already? wondering if its the gaelic grounds wont let the events take place
    or if its got to do with being to close to residential areas.

Is there not an ice rinc/concert venue being built as part of the new Parkway Valley development.
    That should help.
    As for the gaelic Grounds, they did initially want to use it, but residents objected.

As for your latter post, about the attitude towards "Goths";).
    I went through a similar stage myself, so I can agree with you there.
    IMO though, the fact that both Dublin and Cork are bigger could have had something to do with this.
    In the same way, that Dublin is no where near as tollerent, so to speak, as London.

I've always thought that a lot of the problems that visitors have about Limerick is a placebo effect.
    When you're in a city that you're not used to, especially at night, it's expected that you're a bit nervous.
    You're out of your comfort zone.
    When you add to that, the ridiculous image that the media foists out about Limerick, people are bound to see guns around ever corner!

Still, if Limerick is made more open, and scenic, I'm not gonna complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sorry. my boo boo on the less central thing with Dublin. There's a certain element of scum on the streets but most of it is away from the city centre in the suburbs... I wouldn't imagine that HMV (if there is one) in The Square in Taallaght is any different from the one on Cruises street in terms of the crowd hanging outside it. They're just not in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Cruises st,should be bombed out of existance!It is a disaster area to look at by day and a muggers paradise by night.Putting CCTV in is pointless as it is so awkward and nichy nothing can be seen properly.The worst thing ever done there was demolishing the hotel,no one had the gumption to keep the frontage or develop the whole hotel complex into a indoor shopping mall.

The plans for the 2015/20 Limerick look dire!![As per the pic in the L Post or Lmk indo] A giant wok in front of the opera solar panel,two mini world trade centres,and numerous skyscrapers around the docklands etc.
    Are we trying to take on NYC or somthing??
    Plus who the Hell is going to move into these buildings??Anyone notice the huge amounts of for rental property around the city??In new buildings???It is daft to assume that everyone will want to move back into the town if the rent is higher than the suburbs on commerical property.
    Plus,we would want to get the traffic situation sorted out if you want biz back in the centre.In the outlying shopping centres you can park in a lot and walk max 100 meters to the shop.In town it is a hassle par exellance.And most of all,would somone PLEASE FOR FUKS SAKE build a proper parking house!!!That you can get a van or jeep into.With ceilings and such above 4 meters and with gradual turns,not Fukin 90degree turns!!And put the DAMN entrance and exit in the correct location for left road side useage!!!Anyone who has used Arthurs quay carpark will know what I mean.
    TBH when you consider Limerick archetects used to house in that now thankfully gone 1970s block of concrete at the third bridge,are we surprised that Limericks buildings arethe same as it's designers?Dull,unimagnitive,1970s out of a catalouge of plans with a UK/US flavour in red brick of course.
    One other thing about Limericks image.We should be making money from it!!We are known as Stab city worldwide.I have heard this term in a bar in Moscow and in Tiajuana Mexico.
    Amsterdam for example makes a mint on it's seedy reputation.It is known for prostitution,drugs,and dog ****e on its pavements.Yet the stalls and tourist shops are full off T shirts and souviners that take the piss out of Amsterdam and on those 3 subjects.
    We should start to laugh at ourselves here abit,stop being so prissy about our" clean image" which NO city has anymore worldwide,and start raking in the cash from the Stab City image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Right now they need to work on improving current "infrastructure"- rather than coming up with far out plans for a 24 hour cruises street etc. Do they seriously want to attract more 'dodgy' people at night than we already have down around that area?!

Bullets.....where did the goths hang out back in your day? (Nothing against them...most my friends are goths :) )

• Advertisement

Amsterdam for example makes a mint on it's seedy reputation.It is known for prostitution,drugs,and dog ****e on its pavements.Yet the stalls and tourist shops are full off T shirts and souviners that take the piss out of Amsterdam and on those 3 subjects.
    We should start to laugh at ourselves here abit,stop being so prissy about our" clean image" which NO city has anymore worldwide,and start raking in the cash from the Stab City image.

Chuckling to myself I think this is the first time I have seen you post
    on the Limerick Board! you must have had a sixth sense that I mentioned
    a rifle on the board earlier on the thread and it magically attracted your
    attention!!!! :D

On the Sunday Market on Bedford row there was a bloke trying to do just
    that selling Willie O'Dea T-Shirts with that famous pic of him with the Gun. They were confistcated and he was told he was illegally selling them.
    (even though he was not!) There was an article all about it either on the
    post or the leader.

~B

Advertisement