Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Where's my Desktop and Start menu gone?

• 11-07-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

When I started up my laptop this morning, it stopped just before all the desktop icons appeared and instead this message popped up:

"Explorer.exe Application Error. The instruction at "0x77fc99" referenced memory at "Ox746e6972". The memory could not be "written". Click OK to terminate the programme".

When I clicked OK, my desktop picture was visible but none of my desktop icons or the Start toolbar were. I Ctrl/Alt/Del'd, went to Task Manager and was able to get into Firefox by choosing New Task, so at least that's something, but I just have no idea what's gone wrong or (more importantly!) how to fix it.

I've restarted it a few times throughout the day but the same message keeps coming up. I've tried googling it to get some answers but so far no joy. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Run explorer from New Task. Do you still get the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Your explorer.exe process manages your desktop and start menu.

You can try to start it again through Task Manager by choosing New Task and typing explorer.exe - but the may not work.

If you can open firefox this way - why not google it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The message just came up again when I tried to open explorer in New Task.

I've been googling it for a while now stipey, but haven't been able to figure out how to fix it based on the stuff I've been reading on the Microsoft site and some other forums. Boards is kinda my last resort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ok, I deleted a few folders since a lot of the sites were suggesting that it could be a memory issue, and it's all back working again. Only difference is that instead of my desktop pic there's that message from Windows about Active Desktop Recovery. Looks like everything is ok again...

Advertisement