Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can We Have The ''Find all posts by '' Option ASAP? =[

Options
  • 11-07-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I forget places where I've posted, and on other boards I'm a member of I search my own posts. I've tried it just using the url but it has not worked. :(

It would be good to get it back asap.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Go to your Control Panel and set the default thread subscription to anything but Do Not Subscribe as a work around in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Type "boards.ie chatmaster" into Google. You'll find some of your posts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Go to your Control Panel and set the default thread subscription to anything but Do Not Subscribe as a work around in the meantime.
    That confused me Lol. I clicked User CP and got confused and did not see any Default Thread Subscriptions. :confused:
    agamemnon wrote:
    Type "boards.ie chatmaster" into Google. You'll find some of your posts anyway.
    Cool, I can do that! :D For now.. but hope it will appear sometime soon. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Go to User Cp, then go to Edit Options. You can pick 'No Email Notification'. ow, all the threads you post in will be noted in your User CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

To be honest, when we had the 'all my posts' option, I used it all the time and found it incredibly useful - just to keep track of posts - not just threads - I'd made and to see if anyone had replied.

Was it that much of a huge strain on the (old) server? Is there no chance we could have it back, even on a trial basis, just to see if the (new) server handles it ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As a mod, you can search for your own posts with the modutils Bard. If you are in one of the fora you moderate you can click your name and find your last 20 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I used it all the time too.. now i forget half the threads i post in and cant respond. If its important i will subscribe but even thats not nearly as handy.

Yiou think that at first, but as it automatically subscribes where you post it's an ok alternative. Search was of course, a lot better.
    I have noticed a return of users viewing at the bottom of the page, maybe search is next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

HOPEFULLY it's next, yeah...

But thanks for pointing out that 'last 20 posts' thing to me - v. useful. Have it bookmarked now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just a suggestion OP, but putting the letters "ASAP" into the title of a feedback thread is almost never a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chatmaster wrote:
    I forget places where I've posted, and on other boards I'm a member of I search my own posts. I've tried it just using the url but it has not worked. :(

It would be good to get it back asap.
    Subscribe, the money will go towards bigger better servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It will be back ASAP. Values of P may vary.

biko wrote:
    Subscribe, the money will go towards bigger better servers.
    Will I have it then?
    Bard wrote:
    To be honest, when we had the 'all my posts' option, I used it all the time and found it incredibly useful - just to keep track of posts - not just threads - I'd made and to see if anyone had replied.

Was it that much of a huge strain on the (old) server? Is there no chance we could have it back, even on a trial basis, just to see if the (new) server handles it ok?
    Or even swap the post one for the thread one...
    tbh wrote:
    just a suggestion OP, but putting the letters "ASAP" into the title of a feedback thread is almost never a good idea.
    As if that bothers anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not this again....WTF's wrong with the thread subscription system? Are users really that lazy that they can't click two radio buttons and bookmark a page?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It would be nice if it was at least returned for subscribers.

Wertz wrote:
    Not this again....WTF's wrong with the thread subscription system? Are users really that lazy that they can't click two radio buttons and bookmark a page?
    I'd imagine people want as little as possible bookmarked sites/pages.

Why? What's the difference in having to click a link in your bookmark folder and in clicking a link from within the forum?
    During times of heavy server use, it makes a big difference when a few hundred people start searching for all their posts just to find a small number of them....in the past it has lead to slow load times and general annoyance for everyone using the site, and all because people can't be f*cking arsed finding out how thread subscriptions work.
    A small child could figure it out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Click that while you're logged in. Choose "No email notification" in the drop down.
    Go post some threads/replies.
    Now go to:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription
    Hit CTRL D to bookmark that page.
    Next time you log in, instead of using runtime on the servers, click that bookmark and as if by magic, all the threads you posted in will be retrieved in a list from the forum database, the ones with replies will be in bold text. Simply click "Go to first new post"

If people had done this back when the problems started occuring then it's possible the admins wouldn't have had to suspend the search function, which is a vital forum tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Chatmaster wrote:

As if that bothers anyone.

Someone using a service for free that costs a lot of money to run demanding that the people that pay for it change it 'cause it is not good enough for him.

How could that possibly bother anyone...

If you are wondering, 'asap' means as soon as possible and is not some sort of rude demand.

If you are wondering, 'asap' means as soon as possible and is not some sort of rude demand.

That's really more a matter of context....in the above context it comes across as ungracious at best...

[edit] BTW I should add that the "Find all posts by..." function is a very handy tool. I liked being able to find posts by other users on occasion, so I too would welcome it's return....but the abuse by lazy people searching their own handle spoils it for everyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

[edit] BTW I should add that the "Find all posts by..." function is a very handy tool. I liked being able to find posts by other users on occasion, so I too would welcome it's return....but the abuse by lazy people searching their own handle spoils it for everyone...[/QUOTE]

I want to find a post I made about 2 year's ago but I'm not sure what forum I made it in.

I could stay here all night(as I will)searching through forum after forum using up precious bandwith or there could be a button to show me all my old post's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Wertz wrote:
    [edit] BTW I should add that the "Find all posts by..." function is a very handy tool. I liked being able to find posts by other users on occasion, so I too would welcome it's return....but the abuse by lazy people searching their own handle spoils it for everyone...
    Yeah, thats what i'm talkin about, it makes it so much easier for stalking :D I've always used the thread subscription system for the other thing, don't see any need for anythin else.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You're an awful whiney git in this thread Wertz. There's nothing wrong with valuing the convenience that search allowed.

Computing is driven by making things more convenient. "Lazy", pfft.

I'm an awful whiny git in most threads tbh (which if the feature being discussed was active you could see :D)....I just don't see why people can't use the facilities they've got, which they (and I) are getting free gratis without demanding features that in the past are thought to have slowed down the site and were removed due to reliability. As already mentioned there are workarounds like other forum tools or google.
    The fix probably involves spending more money on hardware or whatever...so IMO the feature should be available to subscribers at least; you want convenience, get your readies out, otherwise use thread subscriptions and boardtracker(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

As a mod, you can search for your own posts with the modutils Bard. If you are in one of the fora you moderate you can click your name and find your last 20 posts.
    It's not only mods that can do that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that sub thing doesn't work for me, I have it on yet no threads sub. it doesn't sub threads automatically does it you have to click on the threads which I always forget to do, cos I presume computer do things automatically very well. can we atleast have a link to our own threads own threads?

that vs searching everyone must be a huge difference and not too much too asks for.

John R wrote:
    Someone using a service for free that costs a lot of money to run demanding that the people that pay for it change it 'cause it is not good enough for him.

How could that possibly bother anyone...

That's what the advertisments are for... and if I demanded, I would not have asked. There was a question mark.
    Wertz wrote:
    Why? What's the difference in having to click a link in your bookmark folder and in clicking a link from within the forum?
    During times of heavy server use, it makes a big difference when a few hundred people start searching for all their posts just to find a small number of them....in the past it has lead to slow load times and general annoyance for everyone using the site, and all because people can't be f*cking arsed finding out how thread subscriptions work.
    A small child could figure it out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Click that while you're logged in. Choose "No email notification" in the drop down.
    Go post some threads/replies.
    Now go to:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription
    Hit CTRL D to bookmark that page.
    Next time you log in, instead of using runtime on the servers, click that bookmark and as if by magic, all the threads you posted in will be retrieved in a list from the forum database, the ones with replies will be in bold text. Simply click "Go to first new post"

If people had done this back when the problems started occuring then it's possible the admins wouldn't have had to suspend the search function, which is a vital forum tool.
    But can it not be set to only show a limited amount of posts in the search?

But I will do that. And it's not fair to be saying a child could figure it out when some people might only be here for the first time. And have never used a message board.

:p

And Wertz, I would search others too.

The main reason I've asked for it is when I first joined I posted in the Garda thread about the interview and all.. And have been here for a bit and when I got back, I wanted to see them. Can't remember if I asked something and got replies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chatmaster wrote:
    That's what the advertisments are for...
    The adverts only don't make much for boards.

Chatmaster wrote:

But can it not be set to only show a limited amount of posts in the search?

Perhaps it can, I don't really know. One for the admins or programmers.
    Chatmaster wrote:

But I will do that. And it's not fair to be saying a child could figure it out when some people might only be here for the first time. And have never used a message board.

Okay that's a fair point, it may not be immeadiately apparent to anyone using a forum for the first time. Sorry for coming across like a prick. Welcome to boards and all that.
    Perhaps a sticky or something in the registration eMail could be written up for new members on the features of the forum s/w....and perhaps it might be an idea to switch thread subscription to ON as the default; most other vB boards I use have it enabled by default, that way when someone wants to start using it, all their previous posts/threads are already in the subscrips list.

Or we could just turn search back on and see what happens...

• Advertisement

Let people search once every [period of time] would work I imagine.

Advertisement