Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do your tyres last?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

Today I changed an Armadillo off my back wheel, it was starting to crack and you could start seeing the yellow stuff below the rubber.
    I'm not really complaining because I got about 5000km of around town riding out of it, and talking to the guy at the bike shop, it sounded like thats a lot further than most commuters manage out of their average back tyres.

So I'm curious, what tyres do you people have and how far / long do they go? And what do you do with them?

I reckon I get about 5000km of town use out of a tyre, on front or back, and they're always either Marathons or Armadillo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

8,618km on the back of my tourer/commuter, 9,376km on the front. Back is a 700x25 Specialized Armadillo, front is a 700x28 Vittoria Rubino. Both Kevlar-reinforced, no punctures since new. I had the same Vittoria tyre on the back but changed it back to an Armadillo after the intervening 750km when I had quite a few punctures. (Had to change it anyway as I eventually had a blowout that destroyed the tyre.)

But the Vittoria _has_ held up well on the front so maybe I was just unlucky. Just looking at them a minute ago (never really considered before) there are hundreds of pock marks on each and I was able to dig out a few shards of glass from the front, no idea how long they were there! I reckon they have a bit to go yet, the previous set of Armadillos had been on that bike since new (around three years) and like you were replaced when they basically began to fall apart.

1,424km on my new road bike with 700x23 Bontrager Race Lites I have had in the region of four punctures, all on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

blorg wrote:
    Both Kevlar-reinforced, no punctures since new.
    I think that makes a big difference, mine might have had 3500km on the back before going. Thing it is a Schwalbe Delta 700c 32mm. The front blew in a crash. But the back failed and I reckon it was due to gradual wearing down from taking it on and off for punctures, it is still holding on but you can see the side wall is totally weakened and I am not going to wait for a catastrophic blowout.

Advertisement