Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Announce New Broadband Packages

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

These are the Smart Exchanges:-

1 BEGGARS BUSH
    2 BLANCHARDSTOWN
    3 CABRA
    4 CLONTARF
    5 COOLOCK
    6 CROWN ALLEY
    7 DOLPHINS BARN
    8 LUCAN BALLYDOWD
    9 MERRION
    10 NANGOR ROAD
    11 NORTH MAIN
    12 NUTLEY
    13 SANTRY
    14 SHIP STREET
    15 SUMMERHILL
    16 TALLAGHT
    17 WALKINSTOWN
    18 WHITEHALL
    19 CHURCHFIELD
    20 CORK CENTRAL
    21 DENNEHYS CROSS
    22 QUAKER ROAD
    23 WELLINGTON ROAD
    24 DUNDALK
    25 WATERFORD
    26 WATERFORD TYCOR
    27 CASTLETROY
    28 CROSSAGALLA
    29 DOORADOYLE
    30 LIMERICK
    31 RATHEDMOND
    32 LETTERKENNY
    33 GALWAY
    34 MERVUE
    35 SHANTALLA
    36 PORTLAOISE
    37 SLIGO

Tip-offs on future developments most welcome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tak when was the Sligo exchange enabled as I checked my phone number a few weeks ago and it said I wasn't eligible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Infini wrote:
    Only noticed but theyve finally rolled out smart telecom on the cabra exchange. With the crap from NTL's throttling of torrents i might consider switching to smart so long as it doesn't affect my telephone number etc.
    You can't keep your existing number if you move to Smart. Unless you get a 2nd line in, all new number on that and put Smart on that line. Of course you'll be still paying for the original phone line, but if you're paying NTL and phone line at the moment it won't be much of a difference. Will cost about €130 to get the 2nd line in though.
    tak wrote:
    29 DOORADOYLE
    Numbers on the Dooradoyle exchange show that it is not on the current build programme or can't accept new customers :( Seems it's full up as I know several people on that exchange with Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jor el wrote:
    You can't keep your existing number if you move to Smart.
    Currently true (despite ComReg's claims to the contrary since 2 years ago), but I've been told that that's due to change by the end of this month.

If this restriction goes, I can see loads of businesses switching from eircom to Smart's better/cheaper packages, because they won't have the hassle of reprinting all their business cards/flyers/brochures, respraying vans, changing websites' and phone directory numbers etc.....not to mention all the regular customers who would have their numbers memorised....

No wonder eircom have dragged their heels on this for so long.....but is it a coincidence that it's due to become available around the time that ComReg are getting extra powers to actually act if service providers fail to do what they should ?

Looking forward to seeing this implemented at last......if what Smart support told me last week is true, we can look forward to announcements about this very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I spoke to a customer service rep in Smart yesterday. I go through the Cabra exchange. They are testing number porting at the mo and promise to support in in two weeks. They will be making an anouncement shortly.

You will be able to bring your existing number along with you.

jor el wrote:
    You can't keep your existing number if you move to Smart. Unless you get a 2nd line in, all new number on that and put Smart on that line. Of course you'll be still paying for the original phone line, but if you're paying NTL and phone line at the moment it won't be much of a difference. Will cost about €130 to get the 2nd line in though.

Numbers on the Dooradoyle exchange show that it is not on the current build programme or can't accept new customers :( Seems it's full up as I know several people on that exchange with Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Currently true (despite ComReg's claims to the contrary since 2 years ago), but I've been told that that's due to change by the end of this month.

If this restriction goes, I can see loads of businesses switching from eircom to Smart's better/cheaper packages, because they won't have the hassle of reprinting all their business cards/flyers/brochures, respraying vans, changing websites' and phone directory numbers etc.....not to mention all the regular customers who would have their numbers memorised....

No wonder eircom have dragged their heels on this for so long.....but is it a coincidence that it's due to become available around the time that ComReg are getting extra powers to actually act if service providers fail to do what they should ?

Looking forward to seeing this implemented at last......if what Smart support told me last week is true, we can look forward to announcements about this very soon!

I think there was an announcement on agreement being reached on the number thing some months ago with a start date around September so its not entirely a coincidence!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Tak when was the Sligo exchange enabled as I checked my phone number a few weeks ago and it said I wasn't eligible.

Almighty,
    It is not yet enabled but it will be soon.
    My original source was an interview with Smart's COO in yesterday's Independent Business Supplement e-Thursday page but an employee of Smart just confirmed it's due in about 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tak wrote:
    Tak when was the Sligo exchange enabled as I checked my phone number a few weeks ago and it said I wasn't eligible.

Almighty,
    It is not yet enabled but it will be soon.
    My original source was an interview with Smart's COO in yesterday's Independent Business Supplement e-Thursday page but an employee of Smart just confirmed it's due in about 2 weeks.

Ah that's great stuff. Just in time for when I go back for college. Hopefully my line can take 7megs, I've been told it's a good line that can do over 4megs easily but whether it can take 7megs is another matter. Ah well it beats the 1meg eircom I have at the moment. Best news ever. Cheers for the information tak. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

It'd be nice if the major announcement also mentions a future rollout plan for more exchanges as well.

No inside info on that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Damn I wish Smart was available in Stillorgan. I am so sick of Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wish Smart was available in Donegal Town. Currently have it in Letterkenny, though will be moving in a few months, all going well. Dreading the thought of going back to Eircom! :(

Advertisement