Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start of term?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey all,

I hope to attend DIT next year and am just wondering around what date the term usually starts? It doesn't matter if you don't know the exact date, just around what it usually is. I heard that it's earlier than the universities? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

mateo wrote:
    Hey all,

I hope to attend DIT next year and am just wondering around what date the term usually starts? It doesn't matter if you don't know the exact date, just around what it usually is. I heard that it's earlier than the universities? Thanks

Usually the 2nd or 3rd week in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Kool, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

looking at the calendar there I would put my money on 17th September for 1st years and 24th September for all other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tessie

How many hours a day would you estimate we would need to be in college.I will be doing a full time computer course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

computer science DT228 yeah?

if i can remember correctly it's about 22hours.

here's a link to the comp sci year 1 semester 2 timetable
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/asloan/Ttable%20Smt2.xls

timetable above is actually 22hours including all lectures/labs/tutorials.
    i'd imagine the hours for semester one would be quite similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Hey, does anyone know if the timetable for DT211 is similar to DT288:confused:
    Is 22 hours the Norm?, looks kinda packed for a first year timetable.
    Still, looking forward to the challenge all the same.

*the 10:00 am starts are nice*

Actually on second reading, that isnt too bad in comparison to my old 6th year timetable:)

Naikon wrote:
    *the 10:00 am starts are nice*

wave goodbye to them in second year think we had one all year (was an 11:00 start though) and we started at 11:00 had a two hour lecture then that was it for the day, basically a waste of time too, but those hours came in handy for projects and watching tv too :D

Cremo wrote:
    wave goodbye to them in second year think we had one all year (was an 11:00 start though) and we started at 11:00 had a two hour lecture then that was it for the day, basically a waste of time too, but those hours came in handy for projects and watching tv too :D

Haha, that day sounded like a supreme waste of time I must say:D
    The Lecture wasn't very important I gather?.
    I wonder how Computer Science/Computing/natural Science would compare to other courses in terms of contact hours?.
    I know someone doing Arts in second year, and he only has 13 hour weeks.
    I would imagine there is more "self directed learning" though in those courses in fairness.

well it was Web Development II so it wasn't exactly like a complete random subject they seem to tack on to fill hours :p - despite us not doing Web Development I too - we covered these topics: HTML, xHTML, CSS, Java Applets, Javascript, PHP, DB Access with MS access/MSSQL/MySQL and AJAX. and that's all in one semester of the labs, then in the lecture it was the theory behind the web mixed with the lab work, if you didn't show up for the lecture you were basically screwed unless you were a good self-learner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

does anyone know anything about the DT542 (MA Journalism) timetable? cant seem to find anything on the website

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

La La wrote:
    does anyone know anything about the DT542 (MA Journalism) timetable? cant seem to find anything on the website
    Hey Lala, you should be able to check here:

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/students/enrolments/timetables.html

Click on the first one to get your log-on, and then click on the 2nd one to log on

Follow instructions!

Hi everyone I will be doing D211 and hoping to be able to commute from Roscommom, is that possible do you think? The train gets in at 10am and the campus is at Kevin St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Roscommon to Kevin St every day + home again?? Em..

Hi, the cost of accommodation is very high in Dublin and this might well be the deciding factor in coming to a definite decision regarding DIT. How do other people manage the high rents for the duration. I am not in a position to work either as I've got home responsibilities. Are there any other mature students contemplating going to DIT?.

Tessie wrote:
    Hi, the cost of accommodation is very high in Dublin and this might well be the deciding factor in coming to a definite decision regarding DIT. How do other people manage the high rents for the duration. I am not in a position to work either as I've got home responsibilities. Are there any other mature students contemplating going to DIT?.

I dont know if i would be very practical to commute to DIT everyday.
    I am not trying to put you off, but travelling from Roscommon to Dublin heuston everyday at 10:30 is going to be problamatic when you take the 9:00AM starts into account.

You would still need a train/Bus transfer to get to Kevin street as heuston station is on the other side of the city.
    Maybe you could move further into the outer Dublin region and commute from there?, I live near Maynooth, and rent is alot more reasonable than some of the crazy prices in Dublin.
    Maybe you could apply for some sort of maintainence/back to Education grant to help you with this?
    Whatever you choose, best of Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tessie wrote:

Tessie, I certainly wouldn't want to put you off either but a commute from Roscommon to Dublin every day would be tough and barely workable unless you're on a course with pretty undemanding hours (and most courses in KevSt tend to have lab components so hours aren't usually anywhere near as cushy as something like arts). Arriving by train at 10am you'd still have to get from Heuston to Kevin.St. If you lab or practical classes at 9am a couple of mornings you'd have a problem.

You say you've got home responsibilities I assume you mean children (apologies if I'm wrong). So I guess renting a room is not an option for you you need to rent a flat or appartment? If so I see where you're coming from. But if you shop around in Dublin not all areas are so expensive, and remember with a decent bus service these days you can live anywhere in the city it doesn't even have to be near Kevin St.

There are supports in place for mature students, grants, back to education, rent allowance etc etc so look into all your options. A citizens advice centre would be able to fill you in on what you'd be entitled to, or even your local social welfare office.

PS I'm a mature student in DIT myself (in fact my class has quite a few mature students). Feel free to PM if you'd like any other information.

Aiden24326, thanks for the information, no I dont have any young children but have the family here in Roscommon, and that brings with it responsibilities where I can't be away from home for too long. Was aware of grants, BTEA etc.but not of the rent allowance ( which might not be available to me anyway as I live here ) so dont know about that. Maybe if I had a place in Dublin it would work out better. (by the way the train stops at Connolly St.) is that nearer to Kevin St?. Thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tessie wrote:
    Aiden24326, thanks for the information, no I dont have any young children but have the family here in Roscommon, and that brings with it responsibilities where I can't be away from home for too long. Was aware of grants, BTEA etc.but not of the rent allowance ( which might not be available to me anyway as I live here ) so dont know about that. Maybe if I had a place in Dublin it would work out better. (by the way the train stops at Connolly St.) is that nearer to Kevin St?. Thanks for all the info.

Unfortunately Connolly isn't really any closer than Heuston. From Connolly to Kevin St. would be about 25 mins walk (at least). If you were renting in Dublin you could (maybe - depending on circumstances) claim rent allowance. BTEA is only available if you've been claiming social welfare payments (i.e dole) for a certain length of time. 312 days in most cases (not necessarily consecutive), or can be half that, again depending on circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Tessie wrote:

Yeh, I'm 24 and I'm going direct entry into the fourth year of DT228 Computer Science. I started the course back in 2000 but left after third year to pursue a different career. I am now a qualified Biologist and can work in science labs and such but I want to finish off this Computer Science degree.

When I was at DIT all those years ago, I knew a guy who commuted from Athlone every day. Roscommon is a good bit further than there though. If you can hande early starts then do it. I live in Naas and, going by road, it'll probably take me just slightly less than you to get there!

Alternatively, I'd consider a student loan or applying for a grant to see how far you can get with it.

Take care,
    Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Jesus..........22 hour week and you think thats a lot???? :rolleyes:

Try being timetabled for a 39 hour week!!! Thats without doing any work for college outside of your timetabled hours!!

Damn, 39 hours is a long week.
    Hell, it is a working week:)
    Is your course a form Engineering if you don't mind me asking?
    I know somebody in Mech Engineering in DCU, and he does not get off easy most days either.
    We should be ashamed of ourselves:D

Advertisement