Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ps3 Price Point!!!!!!! [not!!!]

Options
  • 11-07-2007 6:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

PS3 is to be officially cut in price, or rather a new official package to be announced tomorrow,
    PS3 with 2 Sixaxis controllers and Motorstorm and Resistance for €599.
    Sweet!!!!!!!!

Glad I haven't bought one yet.

Sorry for those that did, now you know, or erhaps remember what it felt like when the Xbox price was dropped all those years ago!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    PS3 is to be officially cut in price, or rather a new official package to be announced tomorrow,
    Sweet!!!!!!!!

Glad I haven't bought one yet.

Sorry for those that did, now you know, or erhaps remember what it felt like when the Xbox price was dropped all those years ago!

Thats a pretty crazy price for a console, you can get a PC for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

good package that and all for €599 , although when you buy a new system you will always pay a higher price than someone who buy's it a few months or even a year later .

it happened when i bought the first xbox and it was bound to happen with the ps3 to boost sales , just as with the first xbox it's happened quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sweet!!!!!!!!

IS that for the new 80 gig model they are releasing everywhere else?

Will that mean they will be dropping the other model down to 499 like they did in the US?

though I admit it sounds sweeter then the US version which is 599 for the 80 gig model + motorstorm, no 2nd controller or resistance. Even I am tempted at that price...

Gears of War announced for the PC has put me off a 360 for a bit longer cause thats what happened with the xbox (all its good games showed up on the PC at some point, so why bother wasting money on two machines when one can do.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

still a savage price 600 yoyo's, and to top it all the games are 75 quid a pop, you would need pretty deep pockets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, hopefully deep deep pockets filled with cash that the wife doesn't know about, not that likely methinks.
    But at that sort of package, take away the extras and its not a bad deal, the machine alone is working out at €430 or so, then the extra stuff brings it to 600, given that they are the sort of things most gamers will be buying I think its not a bad pack over all, not dissimilar to older machines, certainly brings it closer to the 360, especially if you factor in the value of the Bluray drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

it'll probably a lot cheaper when theres actually decent games to play on it, even with the price cuts its not worth it. Are they going to have a 500euro package with no games or extra controller? as the average person still isnt going to pay 600euros no matter what they give away with it. Luckily I got a discount when I got mine at launch so a price cut now aint too bad, but still too much for something I havent turned on since April!

It'll be a big seller here when its 300 euros with a free copy of pro evo!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Great, a slightly cheaper console with no games worth playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps no exclusive games worth playing but if you come to buy a machine and don't own a next gen console then I reckon there are enough titles to play abd keep you interested until SCE get their thumb out. I reall think the new PS3 pack could well swing it in the traditional christmas gift buying season this Oct to Dec, especially for the ignorant parents who think Playstation=Gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Where is this from?

Nothing has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

From what I've heard, this price cut is US only, which may or may not be true. It stands to reason though, given that Sony doesn't give a **** about Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't expect a price cut here, I think it's more likely they'll just do a new bundle (ie you'll get more in the package for the same price as before).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Screw it, I'm off to Boston in August and I'm sure to get it at least 100 stingers cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

It feels like Sony actively hate Ireland and the UK , charging us more,for a lot less a lot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are $659 in boston then add state tax which i think is 5%. was thinking of picking one up there when i was there in may. decided against it though for some reason most possibly that i'd get bored of it before any games i really wanted to play on it were released and when the games i want to play got released i wouldn't bother buying them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

That's crazy money for a console. I'll be waiting untill one of them comes way down in price, PS3 or the Xbox 360 elite.

Their bloody robbers.

they announce a price cut of 30 euros, throw in two games at 70 euros each and a controller at - dunno how much they cost lets say 45 each.

it's not a bad deal in my eyes, considering you're getting a blue-ray drive as well.

The release of the Elite may well shake things up, I reckon we'll see the demise of the core 360 pack, with the hardrive included 360 retailing for 250 to 300 and the Elite aiming for the PS3 end of the market, although the fact it doesn't include a HD player could hurt it, despite the inclusion of HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is there any news on when the rumble controllers are coming out? The bundle won't be as inticing if the two controllers are about to be old hat.
    I don't want to get too tinfoil hat, but it could be a bit of a scheme to off load some of the old controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Crucifix wrote:
    Is there any news on when the rumble controllers are coming out? The bundle won't be as inticing if the two controllers are about to be old hat.
    I don't want to get too tinfoil hat, but it could be a bit of a scheme to off load some of the old controllers.
    September is looking the most likely, at TGS. Nothing official though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As far as I know Europe, obviously, aren't getting any price cut as of yet. And no 80GB PS3 either, so I'll gleefully give them my middle finger and tell them where they can shove their over-priced, over-hyped, and over-done bells & whistles of a console. The 360 and the Wii own the market now and always will. The console that's being out the longest in the current generation always wins cuz of the popularity and the time developers have had to unleash the power of it. Classic examples are the PS1 & PS2. (Granted there was the Saturn & the Dreamcast respectively but they were rushed to beat Sony's releases causing developer's to fúck up games with the limited time they had)

Why pay so much for a console when the 360 graphics is evenly matched with the ports(and on some occassions better than the PS3)

just stick a 250gig laptop hard drive into it, if you want to fight the cause. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Duggy747 wrote:
    The console that's being out the longest in the current generation always wins cuz of the popularity and the time developers have had to unleash the power of it. Classic examples are the PS1 & PS2. (Granted there was the Saturn & the Dreamcast respectively but they were rushed to beat Sony's releases causing developer's to fúck up games with the limited time they had)

The Dreamcast had one of the best launch line-ups ever and had a huge amount of quality exclusives released continuously until the end of it's life. It also wasn't 'rushed'. The PS2 hadn't one decent game for 8 months but sold because of the Playstation name. I think sony were confident that the PS name would carry the PS3 again but it really hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The Dreamcast had one of the best launch line-ups ever and had a huge amount of quality exclusives released continuously until the end of it's life. It also wasn't 'rushed'. The PS2 hadn't one decent game for 8 months but sold because of the Playstation name. I think sony were confident that the PS name would carry the PS3 again but it really hasn't.

I didn't necessarily mean the Dreamcast was rushed in the same way as the Saturn, the Dreamcast was a pretty damn good console. I was actually sorry to see it's demise as there really were some quality games. I remember being gobsmacked at Shenmue when they showed previews for it.

As for exclusives on the PS3 (I'm a little outta date on consoles so feel free to help / correct me on this one) the only ones I can think of that people give a toss about are:

GT 5
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Tekken 6
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Killzone 3

Now, I ain't sure about Virtua Fighter 5 or Unreal Tournament 3

For the 360 we got:

Splinter Cell
    BioShock
    GTA IV Episodes
    Halo 3

There's a few more but I can't think right now, the looming thought of the weekend is here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Duggy747 wrote:
    Killzone 3

Now, I ain't sure about Virtua Fighter 5 or Unreal Tournament 3

Since you asked ;)...

Killzone 2.
    Virtua Fighter 5 is coming to 360 with online play.
    UT3 is a timed exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

think Tekken is coming out on 360 aswell now or maybe not, but theres no sign of any of those sony exclusives coming out anytime soon. They'll probably be showing cgi videos again of them this time next year. But it wouldnt matter if they were all out now, ppl arent going to pay 500/600 euros no matter what it can do. Ands its gonna to be an awful long time before we see it being sold for 300 euros it seems. Most ppl in Ireland dont have hdtv's and arent gonna care at all about Blu-ray as they can just rent/buy the same film on dvd. I'd say there'll be massive ad campaigns when pro evo comes out, but wont be any use when ppl see the price of the ps3.

On a side note, the real nail in the dreamcasts coffin was EA's refusal to release any of their titles on the console.

Something the 360 is having no problem with, in fact EA seems to be overjoyed with the 360 (and the Wii and the PS3).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Duggy747 wrote:
    As for exclusives on the PS3 (I'm a little outta date on consoles so feel free to help / correct me on this one) the only ones I can think of that people give a toss about are:

For the 360 we got:

BioShock
    Being pedantic I know , but that's a PC title that's getting a 360 release so its not exactly an exclusive.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8039

If it makes you feel any better about living in Europe the the 60GB PS3 is being discontinued in America after the stocks of them run out...so the price cut is just a temporary thing. Soon there will only be the $599 80GB PS3's available state side. The only reason they are giving the Americans the 80GB hard drive is to compensate for giving them the same PS3 us Europeans get as in no Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer chips so reduced backwards Compatibility.

this strikes me as more Kamikaze type marketing from Sony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Crucifix wrote:
    I hear ya, I was thinking the same thing! Perhaps we we have just become cynical. Not surprising considering how Europe seems to be 'the bitch' in the eyes of the console manufacturers.

We'll just have to take what we're given and be thankful for it. :D :rolleyes:

Advertisement