Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis

Options
  • 11-07-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

anybody own/drive one with a 1.67 engine?

are these cars underpowered with this engine or is it reasonably good, what the fuel efficiency like?

(the older model up to 2003, looking at two 2002 models...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kadeshh wrote:
    anybody own/drive one with a 1.67 engine?

are these cars underpowered with this engine or is it reasonably good, what the fuel efficiency like?

(the older model up to 2003, looking at two 2002 models...)

The old model is a light enough car compared to the newer model so the 1.6 litre is lively enough having 110bhp. The 1.8 litre is only slightly less fuel efficent than the 1.6 version though. 1.8 litre models are less popular due to the perception of higher running costs, they tend to be higher spec Luna models or automatic but can be bought these days for the same or less money as a similar 1.6 litre.

If you can afford it try and get a 2003 run out Luna model, this model ran from Jan 2003 to March 2003 just before the newer model arrived. They are easily identifiable by the fully colour coded bumpers and side body strips. They also came with air conditioning, alloy wheels and front fog lights as standard. Available in both 1.6 litre petrol or 2.0 litre D4-D diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what he said!

(except it's a D-4D not a D4-D ;) )

OP, how much are the 2002 models you're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

My wife has a 01 1.6, averages about 45mpg, about 36 in town and I once got 54mpg out of it, a little underpowered for overtaking etc , and likes a drop of oil between services. Outside of normal services, it cost 48 euro plus change every 2 years to walk thru the NCT:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Blue850 wrote:
    My wife has a 01 1.6...likes a drop of oil between services.

Don't want to bring bad tidings but there was a problem with the block of these early VVTi engines. Most had new blocks replaced under warranty. The symptoms were exactly as you describe - loss of oil from the sump. Do you know if yours had this work done in the first 3 years of it's life?

pburns wrote:
    Don't want to bring bad tidings but there was a problem with the block of these early VVTi engines. Most had new blocks replaced under warranty. The symptoms were exactly as you describe - loss of oil from the sump. Do you know if yours had this work done in the first 3 years of it's life?

Interesting. I read that this issue only affected certain 1.8 litre VVTi engines, most of which were originally sold in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Interesting. I read that this issue only affected certain 1.8 litre VVTi engines, most of which were originally sold in the UK?

I saw a stack of replacment blocks in a Toyota main dealers yard in Cork. They were mostly 1.6s too. A also know a person with an 02 Avensis 1.6 who got a replacment block.

maidhc wrote:
    I saw a stack of replacment blocks in a Toyota main dealers yard in Cork. They were mostly 1.6s too. A also know a person with an 02 Avensis 1.6 who got a replacment block.

Really, they kept that one on the qt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Big secret with Toyota.
    VVti engines up to 8 years old and less than 100k miles if using oil will have the Block and pistons replaced FOC by Toyota.
    If you have this problem just go in and say that you are concerned with the oil consumption and would like them to put oil in and check the level in 1000mls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

colm_mcm wrote:

OP, how much are the 2002 models you're looking at?

looking around the 10k mark up to an absolute max of 12.5K
    (and no red ones- i hate red cars:( )

Kadeshh wrote:
    looking around the 10k mark up to an absolute max of 12.5K
    (and no red ones- i hate red cars:( )

€9k to €10k sounds ok. €12.5k is silly money even for the diesel version. 2003 new model can be bought for around €13k these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    €9k to €10k sounds ok. €12.5k is silly money even for the diesel version. 2003 new model can be bought for around €13k these days.

The old shape Avensis is worth small money tbh. 9k would be my limit, and I would be looking for a tidy diesel at that price.

Advertisement