Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Medcine - Cost?

• 11-07-2007 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey all, i just finished 4th year but im seriously considering medicine if i get the points.

i done well in junior cert:
    5 A's and 5 B's in all higher level subjects

im just wondering what the cost is to do medicine in ucd for the 6 years.
    like fees?
    also any person who knows about the course id greatly appreciate opinions about the actual course ;D

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well of you're not eligible for free fees but you qualify for EU fees it's about €9k per year. If you're non-EU it's about €22k per year. If you get 590/600 you don't have to do pre-med so it'd be a 5 year course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Here's a recent thread on the course, if you do a search you'll find a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

how do i get free fees?

thanks for all the help btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Basically if you fulfil all of the following:

* if you're an EU citizen,
    * if you've lived in an EU country for three of the last five years,
    * if you're under 23,
    * if you don't already hold a degree

...then the government will pick up the tab for your undergraduate degree - i.e. you'll qualify for 'free fees'. (This is, sensibly enough, unless you have to repeat a year or change course - if you repeat 1st Year in your course, say, you'll pay the tuition fee to repeat the year and the government will take the hit again from 2nd Year onwards. Likewise if you change course after 2 years, you'll have to pay the tuition fees for two years' tuition and then once you get into 3rd Year for the first time, the Government will pay the tuition bill).

As far as I know, this extends to five years' worth of education - so if you get into the course by doing the pre-med route, and therefore take six years to graduate, you'll have to pay the tuition fee for one year. Like dajaffa said, though, if you get 590/600 points you'll be allowed to bypass the pre-Med year and just go straight into a 5-year course which, if you fulfil the criteria above, the Government will pay for.

You can find some more (official) basic info here, and UCD's official info about the course by following this link and searching for Medicine which is course DN002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

cheers xD im irish born and bred hehe. almost 17 so i guess i qualify!

• Advertisement

As far as I know, this extends to five years' worth of education - so if you get into the course by doing the pre-med route, and therefore take six years to graduate, you'll have to pay the tuition fee for one year.

Pretty certain it's basically until you get a degree, I've never heard of med students having to pay for final year if they qualify for free fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

dajaffa wrote:
    Well of you're not eligible for free fees but you qualify for EU fees it's about €9k per year. If you're non-EU it's about €22k per year. If you get 590/600 you don't have to do pre-med so it'd be a 5 year course.
    If you get 600 points in the LC you also get a scholarship

gubbie wrote:
    If you get 600 points in the LC you also get a scholarship

There used to be a rule that if you got 590 you got a scholarship, regardless of what percentile of the class you're in. I don't know if that's changed... I suppose it probably has because a lot of people would be getting scholarships if that was still the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

dajaffa wrote:
    Pretty certain it's basically until you get a degree, I've never heard of med students having to pay for final year if they qualify for free fees
    Info here.

Important bits:
    # You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least 2 years duration and
    # You must not have a previous qualification to the same level (Students who hold a National Certificate or Diploma and are progressing to degree courses may be eligible) and
    # You must not be repeating the year (although this exclusion may be waived where a student has to repeat a year due to certified serious illness)
    So, as long as you don't already have a degree the fees for the full degree will be paid, whether that is a 3,4 or 6 year course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Ah, okay. I don't know where I heard that it was being resolved into a system where you were given 300 free ECTS credits (i.e. five years' tuition). Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement

Ah, okay. I don't know where I heard that it was being resolved into a system where you were given 300 free ECTS credits (i.e. five years' tuition). Thanks for clearing that up.

*guessing* that it may have been from when he who is now USI president was a UCC officer + made a proposal along those lines to last years USI congress/

dajaffa wrote:
    There used to be a rule that if you got 590 you got a scholarship, regardless of what percentile of the class you're in. I don't know if that's changed... I suppose it probably has because a lot of people would be getting scholarships if that was still the rule.
    I just waded through a load of information given to us at a meeting. Medicine is definately 100% 600 points needed (as of May 11th 2007) for a scholarship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

As far as I know you can't fail years (and have to repeat) any more only modules. So instead of paying full whack you pay €9 grand (thought it was €5) divided by 12 multiplied by amount you've failed.

As for the cost of medicine its high - its tough having to combine serious study from 1st med (pre -med is a walk in the park), with a social life or hobbies. Mind you getting in is the hard part and if you can do that you'll be fine mostly. Its kinda all consuming so you wanna make sure its really really what you want.

Oh and I remember looking at a sheet before the leaving which said that if you're not a Irish/EU national and you have to pay full whack it costs €26,000 and EU nationals pay €6,000 but that could have changed

Advertisement